Disaster Kit

by vinman 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• vinman
    vinman
    I was at Walmart when i seen a disaster survival kit. Then something came to my mind. Remember all the instructions given about having these kits? Some congregations even had mock drills. Local needs were given about this. Lists of service groups were handed out telling you where to meet if possible. It is really sad to contemplate why they do that. What are your thoughts?
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Some congregations had mock drills? Really?
  • Ohiamfree
    Ohiamfree
    I know even the borg recognized it had been misinterpreted and there was a local needs on why it wasn't an emergency kit for when Armageddon comes. That was quite funny. In all practicality it's something all community groups should do - but it was repeated a bit over and over.
  • vinman
    vinman

Some congregations had mock drills? Really?

Yes, in my area I heard of one who did just that.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Vinman the congregations in your area were jumping ahead of Jehovah's Celestial chariot then. See the GB gives them an inch and they take a mile. Typical.
  • Old Major
    Old Major

I expect nothing less from a doomsday cult. Preparing for doomsday.

Even though we MUST trust in Jehovah, we have to have a survival kit just in case he's on the toilet.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone
    One of our elders told us that those at bethell were getting Go Bags for the big A day. So of course we should (at the time) think about doing the same. The discussion went so far as to cover where the best MRE deals could be found, and he was serious.
  • JeffT
    JeffT
    Funny. I was only in from 1973 to 1988, but I seem to remember being told that such things showed a like of faith that Jehovah would take care of his people.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    JeffT: Funny. I was only in from 1973 to 1988, but I seem to remember being told that such things showed a like of faith that Jehovah would take care of his people.

Yes, I remember that. I left in '71 but I remember my mom and dad being mocking of those who built bomb shelters and such in the post WW2 years. The JWs of that time were of the mind that "Jehovah would save them" and that they wouldn't need such foolishness.

Ha! Little did they know that Judge Rutherford's Beth Sarim had an elaborate bomb shelter. He didn't trust Jehovah to miraculously save him either. I wonder where the GB's bomb shelter is now that Beth Sarim is long gone.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2
    I remember the go bag thing, was it in 2007 or so. Really really made me nervous, boy was I a chump !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit