Silly Bible things you notice when your awake.

by Crazyguy 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I sure you guys can list others but here is a thought about the exodus story. In chapter 1 the Pharoah is concerned that the israelites are becoming to numerous. And just as a side point we can assume Pharaohs were not to dumb and even if they were the smart people of Egypt studied in the temple 40 years and they studied all things not just religion. I'm sure the Pharoahs had advisers.

Ok with that said would it not be way more effective to kill the girl babies of Israel not the boys? If you don't get my point a rancher if wanting to grow his herd he will have many females, yet only needs a couple of males.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

It isn't too silly when one remember that there is no real division between Bereshit and Sh'mot in the Torah. It is continuing a saga.

Also it isn't immediate history either but opera. While based on the historical traditions, Exodus is narrative of the type found in a Haggadah, and in fact most are still to this day directly based on the pattern found within even though it is generally recognized in Judaism that the actual history is different.

The unnamed Pharoah is part of the drama started earlier, acting as the first of a series of adversaries to the fulfillment of the promises made to Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. (Gn 12.2; 13.16; 15:5; 28:14, etc.) It isn't the complete story, either, as it is merely the written tradition arranged from many different traditions of what had be told in Haggadah fashion to direct the Seder along. Passover Seders predate the finished Exodus work, and this of course implies the traditions do as well.

What is missing from the Torah is the tradition that a Redeemer was destined to free the Israelites from bondage and replace the Pharoah as the leader of the inhabitants of Goshen. For this reason the Pharoah is disturbed about losing a large number of his subjects to this unheard of, yet-to-born Redeemer of the Israelites. Thus only the boys are instructed to be killed by Pharoah since it was believed that proper leadership could only be validly exercised by males.

It is unfortunate, but JWs have convinced people that you can read the Scriptures with full comprehension outside their culture. It never works. Remember that Scripture was written to supplement the already functioning Liturgy of Judaism, not act as the foundation for their beliefs. Exodus was written to be proclaimed at worship services, not as a writing upon which to base religious beliefs...unless you still believe what the Watchtower teaches.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Ok, I'll play this game!

"Silly things we notice in the bible" :

Hmmm... How about talking snakes?

How about people that lived for Hundreds of years?

How about the admiration of people who were incestuous? (Lot and his daughters)

How about people turning into salt?

Come on....all join in! This is a fun game!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

15 The king of Egypt said to the Hebrew midwives, whose names were Shiphrah and Puah, 16 “When you are helping the Hebrew women during childbirth on the delivery stool, if you see that the baby is a boy, kill him; but if it is a girl, let her live.” Exodus 1:15-16 New International Version

Two midwives for hundreds of thousands of women (Exodus 12:37)?

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

They are silly if you are holding on to the belief of Jehovah's Witnesses that these texts are historical and should be the basis for religious belief.

If, like Jews, you recognize these are parables, fables, legends, etc. that teach ancient mores, then you don't expect the devices to be literal.

And, by the way, Lot and his daughters are not supposed to be admired like the Watchtower teaches. The Jews despised their descendants, and the incestuous relationship between Lot and his daughters was told that way in Genesis partly to ridicule the origin of Israel's neighbors who were seen as the children of Lot.

In Jewish Scripture Lot is an idiot who kept going back, even after being saved once by his uncle, to a city that is violent toward outsiders. But thinking the opposite is what happens when you don't let go of JW theology.

• Dumplin
    Dumplin

I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet 1Tim 2:12

hope my wife doesn't find out i posted this

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

And, by the way, Lot and his daughters are not supposed to be admired like the Watchtower teaches.

Very interesting point Caleb! I had not thought of it like that before.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Jesus H. Christ!

Is there enough server space to list all of the silly things in the Bible?

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Thanks, stuckinarut2.

I'm not endorsing a universal acceptance of Scritpture as truth either here. What I am saying is that the Watchtower and their Governing Body is so hideous in their theology, that it stays with you in ways that can linger like a bad smell, even in ways you never realize.

Complaining about the Bible's non-historical narrative devices being "silly" is like arguing over the powers super hereos have in comic books. Who told you guys that this stuff was supposed to be anything but "silly"? Should we complain too that Aesop's fables contain a lot of talimg animals too? Guess what, they are of the same genre! Animals often talk in stories with morals.

The Watchtower is to blame, though, not anyone here. It obviously gets stuck with too many people that the Biblical narratives are supposed to be some type of written documentary when in fact that are little different from the parables Jesus used when teaching. If they were supposed to be history, I can understand this game. But the fact that this "game" is caused by lingering poison many of us still don't realize is still with us from the evil shadows of the Watchtower is even more disturbing.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

True Caleb.

Remember that the org teaches us that "all scripture is inspired" and to be taken as literal (oh, except the bits in revelation that they say are symbolic😳)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit