Is going into a church really THAT bad?
About a year ago I attended mass after decades of absence.
Bad things first:
- too many rites (I find them personally annoying)
- a lot of church singing
- the acoustic is bad, especially in cathedrals,
- you have a big cross of a huge crucified (oops, I meant impaled) Jesus. I just never liked the graphic representation and the emotional manipulation intended. Jesus knew the whole thing was a silly scapegoating act. What's few hours of pain for a guy who is billions of years old and is more famous than the Beetles. I thing women with many children have suffered more during their deliveries.
- No apocalyptic BS
- No insulting other religions
- Young ladies dress more provocative than JW women in kingdom halls... yes I know, how shallow of me
- You don't have to pretend brotherly love by hugging everyone at the beginning and the end of the mass
- the homily is about how to live better moral lives, not about preaching because the end is tomorrow, or soon after.
On the other hand, JW's have no problem at all visiting historical cathedrals and temples of different religions to "view the historical architecture". If I'm not mistaken, there was an article or two in the Awake magazine years ago.