Leah Remini - Scientology

by tresdecu 12 Replies latest jw friends

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Last night on 20/20, they did an interview with Leah Remini (American Actress know for King of Queens TV show) She was raised in Scientology since the age of 8, and recently left rather publicly. She re-enforced what we all know, that they are bat shit crazy (like any Cult) but also talked about how hard is it to leave something that's been a part of you for so long.

So many interesting parallels to our world (former world) of JW'dumb. It's a great ep to watch with someone you are trying to awaken. I could tell the wheels were turning in my wife's head as we watched.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020

• bohm
    bohm

Tide seems to have definitely turned for Scientology. When was the last time an A-list celebrity joined them? People must by now consider them to be a bat-shit crazy money grubbing cult. I predict it will soon be take-the-money-and-run time for their leaders.

• Simon
    Simon

I think watching experiences of people in other high control groups / cults is very powerful. People can't help but see parallels - it's how our brains work.

No wonder that the WTS focuses on the Catholic Church so much and rarely mentions groups more similar to their own such as Mormons or Scientologists.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There was a thread already started about this.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5705365450653696/leah-remini-talks-about-her-new-book-october-30-2015-10-00pm-eastern-time-on-abc-news-20-20

One thing this kind of exposure accomplishes is opening the doors for people realize how adverse cults get started and more so finally how they exploit and manipulate people when they have them in their self serving prevailing control.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

"I think watching experiences of people in other high control groups / cults is very powerful."

Yes, well said. She talked about how painful shunning is, the fact that members report on each-other, she's very open and honest and admits she took part in these things too. Even after learning some of the weirder teachings like 'Xenu' galactic warrior (LOL) she still continued on, she just wasn't ready to part with it, and the thought of not being able to talk to her family if she did so.

One scene showed a meeting room, that looked so much like a kingdom hall. She stated the she is "an Apostate" ... very interesting episode.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Finklestein ... oops, sorry I missed that before I posted.

Maybe follow Fink's link above and post any additional comments on that thread since it's longer.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

saw this with my brain washed wife...it confirmed to me that she has no clue about her own faith.

she couldn't and doesn't have the mental power or reasoning ability to connect the two together. That the scientologist are a cult and the jehovah witnesses are a cult.

so much for hope.....;

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I watched with my wife as well. Her comments "it sounds just like our religion"! I almost didn't know what to say because I was stunned to hear those exact words. It prompted a nice discussion over disfellowshipping/disconnecting. Baby steps for sure but the parallels are obvious.

For the record, I think Scientology is much crazier than JWism and much more dangerous. I think LDS is a better comparison but all are high control religions that have dangerous elements.

Oh and I love the "knowledge report"! So not only do you tell on your fellow members, but you submit an affidavit detailing what happened. And they keep it on file forever!

I'm going to follow up on the discussion because I think she sees the high control elements and it make her uncomfortable. She knows that I don't believe anymore and I attend and submit time for show to avoid the chaos. She doesn't really believe either but thinks its just a normal religion and no better or worse than anything else. It's information like this that really shows people like her that this religion is worse than others because of the extreme shunning. If they dropped that one thing, it would make the religion a lot more tolerant. Blood and other stuff is so dangerous because it's reinforced by shunning. If you drop that, everything changes. However, that's the one thing they will never drop.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Cults like Scientology prey and exploit people who are perhaps themselves insecure or in a vulnerable point in

their lives , they are just simply too opened minded and naive to the inner workings behind these organizations.

The young are most vulnerable to these alluring cults for their lack of knowledge and that can be seen in the JWS.

as well.

They get blind sided from all the supposed love and out front self help innuendos.

• flipper
    flipper
    My wife and I watched this and Leah was very to the point about exposing the indiscretions of the Scientology cult and it's leader and Tom Cruise. It's amazing that all of her family including her mom got out of the cult when she did. Too bad many of us as ex-JW's aren't as lucky. Many of us have family still in. Yeah- If they post this on you tube I highly recommend that anybody watch this- it was good. The parallels to the JW cult are uncanny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit