When Cowards Run a Religion

by metatron 18 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Once upon a time, Judge Rutherford stood before a crowd in Madison Square Garden. The audience included many Catholic Action types who could have easily included an assassin. The Judge may have been a lot of things (well,..... drunk, ego-manical, adulterous, and dishonest, actually) but he wasn't a coward. He later blasted some in the Bethel family for behaving like "pussies" during this heated moment. How times have changed. The Watchtower of today is a different story. The Watchtower Society doesn't dare attack homosexuality - although it's display has never been more open - because they could get into trouble for hate speech. They especially avoid these references at district conventions because some communities actually have gay advocacy groups enter the convention to monitor the talks given. The Society now avoids saying that governments are run by Satan the Devil - because such quotes could bite back at them in court cases ("So, I'm led by the Devil, am I?" Yes, your Honor). They are careful not to make direct attacks on Catholics or other religions - because they could get into trouble as intolerant. The Society is careful to say nice things about the UN in the Awake - while hoping they don't read comments calling them "the disgusting thing" (Pay Attention to Daniel's Prophecy pg.300). Such cowardly hypocrisy is careful to choose between the Awake magazine and a less observed internal publication. The Society is careful to bend their more extreme or offensive counsel towards meetings away from public notice - like circuit assemblies where kids are discouraged from attending college and Witnesses are encouraged to shun df'd relatives - thereby breaking up families. The Society is careful to use the Kingdom Ministry as a private means of expressing extreme views - such as the aforementioned destruction of families by shunning - or the view that everyone not a Witness will be killed by God at Armageddon. The Society is either too cowardly - or perhaps too brain-drained - to attack evolution, as they did in the past. Instead, they choose the craven path of portraying them as false without offering evidence - such as the photograph of a professor in the Dec.15, 2002 WT pg. 17 with obvious 'hints' in the picture. Probably the sheer zenith of their cowardice comes about on the blood transfusion issue where lives are being sacrificed to avoid the effects of publically admitting they were wrong. So, they skip a year of blood cards, send out confusing mixed signals, omit the doctrine in their book for baptism ( Worship the Only True God), approve of taking sticky, red, hemoglobin bearing fluids, hoping that the issue goes away. Gutless, spineless, you name it. They cower behind their gaggle of lawyers - who, together with the Watchtower Treasury, run nearly everything - or when was the last time you got a letter from the Society that didn't sound like the Legal Dept. wrote it, Brother Elder? They are too cowardly to admit that they automatically excommunicate anyone for joining the armed forces of any nation - instead , together with being guilty of taking a transfusion, they claim the person "disassociated himself". ....and let's not forget other doctrines they cower from discussing. Heard any good chronology lately? No? Well, you're not likely to ... they find it easier just to avoid comment on old numbers' games like 1914 - or the amazing claim that humans have only been here for 6000 years! Proof? Educated attacks on scientific dating methods? Nope! Why bother when hiding in Bethel's 'ivory towers' is good enough? Ah, but I neglect one act of current bravery by the Watchtower : defending Witness child molesters and attacking their victims in court. How brave of them, after decades of coverups, to finally expel those disloyal enough to expose their wrongs to public scrutiny! They never tire of praising themselves as God's Only Channel on Earth, his "faithful and discreet" slave - while avoiding a real prophet's courage - to stand or fall on the vindication or disproof of his message. metatron

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    great post metatron, thanks, unclebruce. ps: please excuse the re-jig below (makes it easier for me to read and print ;) === 1) The Watchtower Society doesn't dare attack homosexuality - because they could get into trouble for hate speech. They especially avoid these references at district conventions because some communities actually have gay advocacy groups enter the convention to monitor the talks given. 2) The Society now avoids saying that governments are run by Satan the Devil - because such quotes could bite back at them in court cases ("So, I'm led by the Devil, am I?" Yes, your Honor). They are careful not to make direct attacks on Catholics or other religions - because they could get into trouble as intolerant. 3) The Society is careful to say nice things about the UN in the Awake - while hoping they don't read comments calling them "the disgusting thing" (Pay Attention to Daniel's Prophecy pg.300). Such cowardly hypocrisy is careful to choose between the Awake magazine and a less observed internal publication. 4) The Society is careful to bend their more extreme or offensive counsel towards meetings away from public notice - like circuit assemblies where kids are discouraged from attending college and Witnesses are encouraged to shun df'd relatives - thereby breaking up families. 5) The Society is careful to use the Kingdom Ministry as a private means of expressing extreme views - such as the aforementioned destruction of families by shunning - or the view that everyone not a Witness will be killed by God at Armageddon. 6) The Society is either too cowardly - or perhaps too brain-drained - to attack evolution, as they did in the past. Instead, they choose the craven path of portraying them as false without offering evidence - such as the photograph of a professor in the Dec.15, 2002 WT pg. 17 with obvious 'hints' in the picture. 7) Probably the sheer zenith of their cowardice comes about on the blood transfusion issue where lives are being sacrificed to avoid the effects of publically admitting they were wrong. So, they skip a year of blood cards, send out confusing mixed signals, omit the doctrine in their book for baptism ( Worship the Only True God), approve of taking sticky, red, hemoglobin bearing fluids, hoping that the issue goes away. [b]Gutless, spineless, you name it. They cower behind their gaggle of lawyers[/b] - who, together with the Watchtower Treasury, run nearly everything - or when was the last time you got a letter from the Society that didn't sound like the Legal Dept. wrote it, Brother Elder? 8) They are too cowardly to admit that they automatically excommunicate anyone for joining the armed forces of any nation - instead , together with being guilty of taking a transfusion, they claim the person "disassociated himself". ....and let's not forget other doctrines they cower from discussing. 9) Heard any good chronology lately? No? Well, you're not likely to ... they find it easier just to avoid comment on old numbers' games like 1914 - or the amazing claim that humans have only been here for 6000 years! Proof? Educated attacks on scientific dating methods? Nope! Why bother when hiding in Bethel's 'ivory towers' is good enough? 10) Ah, but I neglect one act of current bravery by the Watchtower : defending Witness child molesters and attacking their victims in court. How brave of them, after decades of coverups, to finally expel those disloyal enough to expose their wrongs to public scrutiny! They never tire of praising themselves as God's Only Channel on Earth, his "faithful and discreet" slave - while avoiding a real prophet's courage - to stand or fall on the vindication or disproof of his message. metatron
  • onacruse
    onacruse

Meta: Great post. You've got the floor-boards hard-hammered right down to the beams.

If I may ask: I sense a great deal of anger in your post. Do you personally feel this level of anger? I ask only because I know how that anger almost consumed me to death; it still lurks at the back door of my soul.

Craig

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Met, for a safety net, they'll use Solomon's words, "There's a time for every affair under the sun...a time to rip apart ... a time to keep QUIET and a time to SPEAK...'.

Guest 77

• Room 215
    Room 215

Uncle Brucie, nice work in reconfiguring Meta's latest manifesto! I guess he was on a roll and his fingers were hard-pressed to keep apace of what his brain was spewing!

• metatron
    metatron

Sorry about the poor formatting - The paragraph spaces didn't show up as I intended.

Yes, Craig - it is a long haul - and my anger gets intense.

It's something I have to work on. It's a tough situation after so many wasted years - you feel like Brando

in "On the WaterFront" - "I coulda been somebody - you was my brudder, you shoulda looked out for me"

metatron

• joelbear
    joelbear

I don't see them as cowards. I see this as a final step in their evolution into a business rather than a religion.

• Scooby
    Scooby

Thanks for the post....I know some of these take much of your time to answer....but you may not realize here how much someone like me appreciates your efforts. I am seeing things in definite NEW LIGHT!!!!!

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Metatron, I can understand why you're angry but for your own health and happiness, let it go, the anger will tear you apart. I think talking with others who've been there done that helps a lot. Initially, I was furious with the borg but especially myself for believing all those years. I kept thinking, what if? But now I'm at peace with my decision to leave. There are people in the WTS that I will always love, a few I even respect. I know that the Society is bloodguilty and I wonder, can a person just walk away? Or try to expose them? What do you think? Victorian Sky

• minimus
    minimus

Met, that was an excellent post!!! You're so right, cowards DO run this religion. Aren't most lawyers cowards???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit