Free exchange of ideas

by recovering 16 Replies latest forum suggestions

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I wouldn't mind if we talked more about the ideas than the current personalities. Presidents, Prime Ministers and celebrities come and go but the issues their words, actions or presence highlight remain constant.

• steve2
    steve2

We used to be able to express opposing viewpoints without being subjected to name calling and censorship.

When was that? I've been on this forum for about 15 years - and there have always been opposing viewpoint, many expressed with care, but some not. Do you recall the heightened conflict when John Cedars was attracting a significant level of comment and conflict? Now that was a time of verbal warfare on this forum if ever there was one - and yes, I contrib uted to it.

Like the so-called unique signs of the "end", what you describe in the OP is neither new nor unique to this period on this forum.

• humbled
    humbled
    what you describe in the OP is neither new nor unique to this period on this forum.

Stevie—the OP is one of many recent comments on the matter. It shows up on the other thread by nicolau. There you said you avoid the political topics. If that is the case then you have indeed missed some exchanges and deletions that are remarkable—Thus the remarks.

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

2 Timothy 3:1-4 But know this, that in the last days+ critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God,

That actually made me sick to post

• just fine
    just fine
    Free exchange of ideas means posting about all ideas not just the ones we agree with.
  • stillin
    stillin

A little name-calling never hurt anybody. Some of those names might even be a fit!

But it does seem to be a last resort for those with a weak argument.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Thanks, Simon.

The bickering has gotten old and it is obviously a subject where minds are closed already. (Good or bad.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit