When did the governing body go from 12 to 7 members?

by Tameria2001 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I have been out and away from that cult since 2001. Back then there were 12 members of the governing body, and now I'm learning that number has come down to 7. When did this change take place, and what was their reason for dropping the number?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

the non anointed members of the subsidiary corporations really took over the day to day running of the Borg like they had been for a number of years when the elder anointed members of the GB all died off,the bumbling buffoons of the GB in name hold no power at all and are mere figure heads of who really controls the WTS. The non anointed WTS president Don Adams was installed when anointed WTS president and GB member Milton Henschal died in 2000.

• Saename
    Saename

The 7 killed the other 5 thinking that if the rank and file members saw a decrease in the number of the Governing Body members, they'd be convinced that...

Winter is Coming - brace yourselves the end is coming

[If you read Fox News, this is sarcasm! I am not actually accusing anyone of murder...]

• Simon
    Simon

People who read Fox News can't ... read ... hence Fox "News"

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I have no clue why they haven't appointed more new gb members except they now have helpers. I think they are content with not needing additional gb members for now.

• KiwiBoy
    KiwiBoy

My question is:

If all the 7 GB members were to be killed or died at once say in a bomb blast, who has the authority to appoint a new GB? And would they find 7 anointed to replace them?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

KiwiBoy, they will not have any more gb members, they will say Great Tribulation has started.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Anyway the scenario of all 7 GB killed by bomb blast is very not likely.

• KiwiBoy
    KiwiBoy

Yes I guess they would say the rapture has taken place and the end is here. Too bad for you lot......hope you make it out of the bunker. I agree that is very unlikely but all the same one never knows. The twin towers were very unlikely too. We live in strange times.

• Half banana
    Half banana

At this stage of the decline of the JW org it would make sense to have as few GB members as possible.

First, in answer to the why of your question; the old guard; the generation of 1914 who would "never die in this system of things"... have all now died. This is completely in keeping with the historical truthfulness of the Watchtower predictions and has left a team of seven zombies who are determined to keep alive the sacred cow which was the Watchtower organisation.

Second, it is easier to control and reach agreement with seven minds than it would be for twelve.

Third, the chances now of new untested members awakening to TTATT are very high. Such a situation would rapidly destabilise the already weakened organisation and be a trigger for the rank and file to follow suite.

Fourth, why share the privileges and financial perks with more freeloaders and thereby dilute the benefits?

Having said that it is clear from the collection of 'Santa's little helpers' that in the event of the death of the present crew there is no shortage of wannabees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit