Fifteen Years Ago...

by Prisca 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Prisca
    Prisca

I was baptised at a local circuit assembly. It didn't seem a big deal at the time, as I'd grown up as a JW, and getting baptised was just a rite of passage for JW youths. Fortunately my parents had the attitude that you don't need to get baptised until you're an adult, so as a teenager I didn't have the pressure to get baptised, although I was expected to once I reached my adult years.

The year before my baptism was rather traumatic. My father had remarried (my mum died when I was 11) and the woman (a "sister") had emotional problems which caused trouble in the family. One elder described her as having "more hang-ups than an art gallery" and he wasn't far wrong. Anyway, as a result of her jealous insecurities, I was forced out of home. I was now living with my sister and her husband.

Despite all those difficulties, I was still determined to remain a JW and get on with my life. So I got baptised. I remember standing up to answer the questions. There was one other sister (younger than me) and a brother. The sister's father was proudly looking on from the wings of the stage. I wished that I could see my father looking on, but I doubted I would see him that day, even though he was sitting in the audience. His wife wouldn't want him too. Yeah, I know it sounds stupid, but that's what she was like. And he didn't have the spine to stand up to her.

I think I was the last one to get baptised. The brother and the other sister went before me. My sister was waiting for me in the wings. Once I got dried and dressed, a close family friend came over and gave me the hugest hug. "This is from your mum," she said. I didn't mind, because she was like a second mum to me. And also because it'd been a long time since I received a hug from anyone.

Looking back now, the thought of ever leaving the "troof" would have been the last thing in my mind. The thought of leaving was back then something abhorrent, totally the unthinkable. Yet here I am today, fifteen years later, discussing my thoughts with others around the world who have also left.

Life takes some strange and weird turns sometimes.

• avishai
    avishai

Prisca,

Congratulations & I'm sorry. I had a similar experience in that my dad died when I was 15 & my mum married not one, but two witnesses w/ mental/emotional problems, & they both had the jealousy issues. I'm sorry that your father was so weak & rejected his daughter in favor of a harpy, I was just thinking about this today, as I heard someone on a radio program w/ similar issues. The host said they abdicated their parental responsibilities, & I suddenly got so damn angry at my mother for doing the same. I had'nt really thought of it that way, but she did. So did your dad. He should have either stood up to the harpy or tossed her out on her arse. But see, the jw's enable that kind of behavior, if kids don't like being thrust into an unnatural situation, their expected to shut up & take it. I'm sincerely sorry, not only for the loss of your mum, but the loss of your absent, selfish father as well. You may not see it that way, But I work w/ kids whose parents did the exact same thing every day. He abdicated, & was weak & selfish.

• avishai
    avishai

Sorry, havent figured out how to edit post yet, I was 13 when my dad died

• minimus
    minimus

Prisca, think about it this way. You still have your smiley face! And that's good!!!

• blondie
    blondie

Be glad it was only 15 instead of the over 30 years I invested, Prisca.

Blondie

• Brummie
    Brummie

Thanks for sharing that Prisca

Looking back now, the thought of ever leaving the "troof" would have been the last thing in my mind. The thought of leaving was back then something abhorrent, totally the unthinkable

Brings back memories, the thought of ever leaving was inconceivable, so glad you are hear now, gee life and thoughts change so much dont they. Just when we think we have got it all sussed out and make a resolve to never change....we change!

Brummie

• TR
    TR
    The thought of leaving was back then something abhorrent, totally the unthinkable.

I remember thinking that exact thought on a number of occasions. Weird. There's hope for so many more.

Hugs to Prisca.

TR

• Farkel
    Farkel

Prisca,

I got baptized in 1960. That was, um......er, over about, eh.....Hell! It was TOO long ago!

I was 12 years old, so the undisputable facts conclusively show that I knew what I was doing at the time.

Farkel

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

fifteen years ago huh? lets see, I was 31, so Was going to college fulltime and partying like crazy, drinking and doing drugs with all the teenage bogans at school.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    I got baptized in 1960. That was, um......er, over about, eh.....Hell! It was TOO long ago!

I was 12 years old, so the undisputable facts conclusively show that I knew what I was doing at the time.

All I know is that this means that I am 2 years older than Farkel.

...And that is really scary.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit