Do you forgive easily?

by JH 12 Replies latest jw friends

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

uncle Bruce,

• Marcos
    Marcos

I'm with Minimus (and others) on this.

I am extremely quick to forgive - but I don't forget.

Perhaps someone can correct me on this but, for a Christian, forgiveness is obligatory. However, I recall nothing that requires forgetting on our part.

In recent years I have had many people do things to me that were wrong. But, now for my own health, I forgive without requiring anything (apology or otherwise) on their part. It just consumes too much energy. I read somewhere (no, I think it was in a movie I saw) that if someone borrows money and you just can't get them to pay it back, it has just cost you an insignificant sum to buy that person out of your life.

I don't put requirements on my forgiveness. But TRUST, that is a different topic.

Marcos

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

I don't blindly forgive anyone. In order for me to forgive someone they will need to ask forgiveness and show that they actually ARE sorry. If they aren't really sorry for what they did why WOULD ANYONE forgive them? Blindly forgiving everyone without them actually being sorry just opens the door to allow everyone to walk all over you and you would not get any respect from anyone. You can't respect someone that let's you treat them like crap.

As far as the society is concerned their transgretions are so extreem and so widespread that, even if they did ask for forgiveness I would NOT accept it. First off, if they ever did appologize it would not be a heartfelt appology. It reminds me when, about 6 months back, when another abuse case was settled against the Catholic church, the bishop made a concluding statement at the sentencing and said basically, "While I'm sorry this has happened our position is that we are not responsible." Is that REALLY an appology? What fool would accept that? Did he really mean what he said? Do you think GOD would accept a repentance like that? I don't think so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit