The Last Time I Set Foot in a Kingdom Hall

by Oubliette 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Saturday, September 19th, 2015:

Earlier today snugglebunny posted a pic of today's "Daily Text" which is based on a paragraph from the November 15th, 2013 article. That magazine contains the now infamous maxim:

• All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not.

-

It took a minute, but I just realized with some pleasure that when that WT article was studied on Sunday, January, 20th, 2014, that was the very last time I ever attended a meeting!

I have not set foot in a Kingdom Hall since all the congregations around the world were told: "All of us must be ready to OBEY any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound ... or not."

That was it for me. I was done.

That paragraph concluded with this little bit of "advice" from the Brooklyn Seven: "Now is the time for any who may be putting their trust in secular education, material things, or human institutions to adjust their thinking."

In the time since that was published I have completed a Master's degree in Education. As a result, I became a full-time permanent teacher in my school district. My income has more than doubled since those "words of wisdom" were published for the manipulation and control of gullible Witnesses of Jehovah.

I have adjusted my thinking. I left the religion and my life has never been better!

Let's review: It's a cult!

-

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

We each have a defining moment when deciding we cannot live this lie. Mine was when the Circuit Overseer said in a very strong voice - "we don't think we have the truth - we ... KNOW..... we have the truth."

F* this - I was out of there and never returned.

• DJS
    DJS

Oubilette,

Congratulations on getting your Master's degree. Excellent.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Fantastic, I don't know if you teach kids or adults, but since I had my twins (9) I have immense respect for their amazing, inspirational teachers. Their teachers mean the world to my kids and have an enormous impact on their young lives.

What a difference - imparting knowledge that will benefit for a lifetime instead peddling lifelong bondage.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Congratulations drinks all around cheers

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

My moment of clarity was at the 2010 DC when I watched all the old timers, sitting in their reserved section, bob their heads in approval and applaud profusely while being told of the new understanding regarding the generation...I realized that all of them would be dead in 15 years and that I had no desire to fill a seat in that section.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Congrats on your successful life. You should serve as an inspiration to those still thinking it's too late for them to start a successful new life outside of the bOrg.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

NewYork44M, I agree. Although in retrospect there are usually a number of things big and small that lead up to our saying, "Enough is enough!" and leaving, there is usually, as you said, one defining moment where we are done.

DJS, thanks! Life is good.

Diogenesister, I am a high school science teacher. I am acutely aware that I have a profound opportunity to influence young people to learn to think critically and become strong, independent individuals.

BW, I'm having that drink now! Cheers, mate.

NVR2L8, It's really kind of sad, isn't it, to watch so many just passively swallow whatever shite they are fed from the WT leadership. I have recently come to conclude that the majority of JWs are cowards: they are afraid to think for themselves and to live the kind of lives that they pretend to live.

SecretSlaveClass, thanks for the kind words. I actually began my BA in education while still serving as an elder about a decade ago. I got a lot of flack from a few of my fellow elders and from my now ex-wife, but you know what? They are still living their lives based on the lies the WTBTS feeds them. I now am making a REAL LIFE for myself and my family.

Who is going to take care of those elders and my ex when they are old? None of them planned for a retirement. The WTBTS sure as hell isn't going to take care of them. I do feel a bit sorry for them, but only a bit. I tried to reason with all of them. None would listen. This is just one of many reasons why my ex-wife is my ex.

Let's review: It's a cult!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Fantastic thread!

Your account is a genuine inspiration to many highlighting that we CAN do something about the little voice in our head that says "this just doesn't make sense....or this is wrong".

We can all take control of our circumstances and life and break free from anything that is causing a negative effect on us, including the organisation's vice-like grip.

We can make positive new paths for ourselves!

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Awesome Obie!

I'm very happy to hear of your success. You've overcome so much. Hopefully your kids will see that you are happy and successful and will wake up as well.

My decisive moment was when we were covering Deuteronomy 18-22 for the bible reading last fall. Somebody commented on Deuteronomy 18:20 about how we need to preach the message strictly from the bible and strictly from truth so as to avoid false prophecy. Well, already knowing the history of 1925 and1975 from reading the Proclaimers book,that was a huge WTF moment for me. I had never considered the implications of those scriptures or recalled reading them before. False prophets were to be put to death!!! If Rutherford was a false prophet then that means... holy shit!!!

The ironic part was, I hadn't been to a meeting for a few weeks because I was just sick and tired of dealing with fake people and preaching a message of doom and gloom. I decided to man up and go to a meeting for some encouragement (and for family unity) and that's when the Deuteronomy doozy hit me and I knew that would be my last meeting - and it was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit