Bagpipes in the Jungle!

by Marcos 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Marcos
    Marcos

Went to the regional fair with my son and daughter (19 and 17 respectively) tonight. It was generally a pretty sad showing compared to last year. The livestock exhibits and other local products like coffee, cocoa and bananas were well represented. But in general the fair is pretty tacky compared to last year due to our economic depression.

The thing that really surprised me was the sound of Scottish bagpipes in the air! We were walking through the outdoor stage area and there were several hundred people listening to 2 pipers and 2 drummers as well as 2 female dancers, all in kilts!

It was pretty cool. And they had everyone's attention. They finished up with the song Amazing Grace. My kids loved it.

It's just that it was so unexpected. Oh well, the world is full of surprised even here in the jungle.

I have to close for now. Gotta chase the pigs out of mama's kitchen again!

Marcos

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Tio,

My children and I love the Fairs also!

We are not just spectators though as we enter cooking, art, sowing, etc. for Judging each year.

Since we are no longer JW my children will join The 4-H and compete among children their own age only now. Considering my oldest has competed with grown-ups the last few years she should make a killing in ribbons and prize money this year!

Where you live Bagpipe music is almost exotic! I think it must have made it beautiful to hear in a place one never expected to see or hear such a thing.

These days Amazing Grace has become one of my favorite songs as I have found it so true.

I had not attended KH in almost 2 months before I started attending to gather my pebbles to throw. One night after a CO and DO’s visit without realizing it as I walked to the car I started singing Amazing Grace. My oldest daughter asked me why I was singing that….was it because I could now and I told her no…..it is because I am inspired…and I truly was.

Gracias for sharing your family’s day with us. I really enjoyed imagining Bagpipes and Irish Dancers in Mexico’s jungles. (Notice I spelled with an x not the j)

Kiss mi primos for me.

Te adoro,

Su Sobrina,

Utopian_Raindrops

P.S. So you know one winter my father brought the chickens in the house so they would not get frostbite….so pigs in mama’s kitchen is not shocking.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

and the award for "best most catchyest post title for 2003" goes to ........... Marcos with "Bagpipes in the Jungle!"

windbag in the rainforest, unclebruce

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Marcos, you should have come to Dallas. We had a genuine Scotsman among our apostate congregation (Little Toe) and a wanna be Scotsman (Big Tex) who actually looked good in a kilt. Didn't hear any bagpipes, however. Maybe next time. Bug

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

ok if you like bagpipes you have to check out these sites!

about 6 years ago my husband and I met the members of the badn Seven Nations and their managers East of the Hebrides Entertainment, and right after that they split up and formed three or four new groups out of one or two old ones...so the personnel got shuffled around. But as it ended up we met new band members and long story short we now count all these guys as our friends!

www.eohebrides.com ----the managers with lots of links and all the tour schedules

www.sevennations.com ------Kirk McCleod and Struby are the originals, the other three are the 'new guys'--Kirk looks like Peter Framptom but he sings like a Scottish angel.....(BTW aint no such thing as a Scottish angel....LOL)

www.antipypr.com ------Neil Anderson, he can play anything he sticks in his mouth and I have seen him play the highland pipes, the uilean pipes and a flute(attached to a neck brace) and sing all at the same time! Wolfgang Amadeus Anderson!

www.grahamwright.com -----our buds! Grahma and Ziggy and Ewain--Canadian cops who know how to party!

www.hadrianswall.net ------these guys were formed from Whiskey Before Breakfast in the old days

www.thejimmykellyband.com -------second generation Kelly family singers, buds of Neil's who guest on his Full Circle studio gigs.

we know all these guys and let me tell you there is NOTHING to compare with catching a St. Patty's show featuring atleast three of em! Good good friends of ours and superlative musicians--gifted men!

Neil Anderson has been called to active duty(antipypr) and if anything happens to him I will hold this country personally responsible. It would be like losing Mozart. He is an AMAZING bagpiper.

enjoy! email me privately if anyone really likes their stuff---maybe we can hook you up!

Ravyn

• Marcos
    Marcos

U_T!

Thanks for the message! And thanks for the “tío” instead of “abuelito”.

Taking your kids to the fair to participate is way cool. Last year my school (Aikido) gave a demo on the outdoor stage. They did extremely well. The fair was exciting last year. This year, it is a little sad, as I mentioned.

Participating is cool. We draw people from all over Southeastern Mexico and Guatemala (we are right on the border). Walking through the various exhibits and renewing old acquaintances is neat. Our city, Tapachula, is only about 250 – 300,000 people but with the coastal area and Guatemala, as well as the seaport, we get a lot of people through all of the time and you just don’t see people you know as often as you’d like.

Bagpipes are definitely exotic here. People here are mostly of Mayan descent but a lot of other cultures are pretty well represented. There are people of German, North American (Good ol' US of A), Canadians, Ethnic Chinese and Japanese. 100 years ago the Japanese government planted a Japanese colony here with hopes it would take off like in Brazil and in Peru. It didn’t. I’m one of the few Japanese speakers here (sort of) and am very obviously NOT of Japanese origin.

Point is, I didn’t know there were any people of Scotts descent here. But, there are.

And, you can spell Mexico any way you wish, “Mexico” or “Mejico”. Don’t want to get a rep. as being picky and a-retentive!

I will pass your greetings on to my son and daughter, thanks.

And, the pigs in the kitchen WAS a joke. But I feel obligated to perpetuate the stereotype

Uncle Bruce!

Thanks for the award. I will place it on the wall over the spot where the chicken is setting .

You are in Australia? I think that bagpipes in the jungle would not be such an anomaly there, yes? Think I’d love to visit Oz someday.

Shutterbug,

Someday, maybe I can make the Apostofest. Sounds like y’all had a blast. I saw the pictures of the “Scottsmen”. Very impressive. More so because it was yesterday before the fair and I did a real double-take. Thought y’all had come to visit!

Later all,
    Marcos

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

g'day Marcos,

Yes, there are parts of Australia where the drone of the pipes regularly disturbs the misty morning air. We've traced the problem to place names like 'Southern Highlands and Bundanoon' . They seem to attract kinky men in kilts, where in the depths of a southern winter flying haggis migrate to the mountains and the hairy sporen beasts grow wild and free

unclebruce from a great great scots grandad (a note on my scots relatives from an official geneology guide: "The Forresters were dark little folk known for feuding with thier neighbours" lol)

ps: yeah alright .. you can stay at my place (in south east aust) Bring yer bagpipes i'll invite my abo friend Eddie over. He's the best didge player this side of Arnham land. (unc who'd love to hear didgeredoo and bagpipes echoing discordant through his little valley

• Valis
    Valis

shutterbug...I heard bags piping up...did you leave your hearing aid at home?*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Fixin To Get Thwacked For Sure" class *LOL*

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Valis-grrrrrrr

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

geezuz xena .. fling me caber 'n hoont me grouse .. temper please!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit