Affected by assembly

by Saltheart Foamfollower 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

Hi - first some context - I have been PIMO for about 20 years now and so have been to a lot of assemblies in that time. Last weekend I went to a circuit assembly and for the first time afterwards I was able to talk directly to someone who knows I'm out. I realised then that although I didn't agree with any teachings (I sat picking holes in the arguements as usual) the experience of being there had affected me - the way of life started feeling normal as did the overall way of viewing the world. I have been deprogrammed (thank you PJT if you ever read this) but I think I must have been affected like this every time I have attended an assembly. I've read about this from others, but it's the first time I've experienced it personally and it has made me more aware of how subtle the mind control tactics are that are used.

Hopefully posting this here will compl;ete my recovery.

SF

• Are you serious
    Are you serious

Unfortunately it works for the cult.

• amicabl
    amicabl

I find myself affected if I watch the society’s videos. I still find them somewhat persuasive.

However in the March video when Gerrit Lurch mumbled on about trusting him I was able to break free. Actually I felt nauseous.

The safest way to watch jw videos is through Cedars.

I haven’t been to any meetings of any kind for over twelve months now and I notice that my wife hasn’t been out in field service this month, although we haven’t discussed it. She watched the CTV w5 program on her iPad and it affected her as it wasn’t just me rambling on. I live in hope.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

I am currently trying to deprogram. I watch you tube videos as much as I can to reinforce this. I am also reading deprogramming books such as the cult of mind control.

Of course there is the family and peer pressure that can make things difficult too.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

The cult life style offers a lot of basic human needs in an easy to get form: community, purpose, a sense of importance, certsinty as to lifes big questions and on and on... its easy to be taken back, a sense of nostalgia sort of thing, to a simpler time when your sitting in an assembly hall. Happy feelings come rushing back and the old anchor points are triggered.

it dosent make it “truth”. Its cult indoctrination running deep and some old triggers being touched. Cults are good at that.

• Formerbrother
    Formerbrother

I have come to the realisation that being PIMO and having an open mind is the best way.

I still go to the KH, my new thoughts are listen to all follow none.

• amicabl
    amicabl

Former brother......Good luck with that if you can keep it up, you are mentally stronger than I am.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

PIMO for 20 years, wow! I'm just over a year and a half myself. I don't know how you do/did it, but congrats on achieving a measure of mental clarity and peace with yourself, as much as can be expected in your situation, that is.

• Searril
    Searril

The mind is an extremely influenceable device. It was figured out a long, long time ago that if you just keep repeating stuff, even stuff that is clearly ridiculous, eventually a good chunk of people will start to believe it.

Goebbels knew it, too.

The Watchtower is just using these techniques that were developed long before them. It's why they are so adamant that you come to every meeting. Because a person who isn't constantly exposed to the conditioning will start to notice all the fallacies and the illogic in the teachings.

• Whynot
    Whynot

It's absolutely normal for this to happen. It happens to people who get out of abusive relationships too. Deprogramming can take a lifetime. Personally, I don't like watching YouTube videos or reading ex-JW books but I am more focused as to the process of what's happening emotionally and mentally. Books like The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse, Combating Cult Mind Control really help analyze the power this cult has and how it connects to your thoughts. I feel it helps me understand the level of control the cult has over me and what I need to do to continue deprogramming. It also helps to identify the tactics and manipulation they use and how to reject it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit