Is this possible?

by WasOnceBlind 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind
    First of all my parents don't know that I no longer consider my self a JW of believe in the stuff they say (after 10+ years of dissociation it shouldn't be rocket science) and there is no way my dad would ever listen to me if I were to talk to him about TATT and all the contradictions and false prophecies. However, he is always reading, and he spends a lot of time in the computer using the WT library (the CD one). I was wondering, if there would be a way to maybe "hack" the program, maybe replace some WT books with copies of something like Crisis of Conscience. Have him stumble upon it by him self. Im sure he would read on. Does anyone know if anything like this is possible? Maybe finding out where the program stores the books and replacing some files.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I don't think he would be fooled. You could send him material anonymously in snail mail, maybe. You could ask questions that will make him think (without stating the ttatt, let him figure it out himself) You could just get into his google and get a lot of stuff popping up at him from various sites that don't support the WT, like this one, JW Facts, silent lambs, etc.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    I was wondering, if there would be a way to maybe "hack" the program, maybe replace some WT books with copies of something like Crisis of Conscience.

Even better, tell him to read the James book on the Library.

It was written by Ed Dunlap and edited by Raymond Franz. In my opinion its the precursor to In Search of Christian Freedom,

• WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind
    I don't think he would be fooled. You could send him material anonymously in snail mail, maybe. You could ask questions that will make him think (without stating the ttatt, let him figure it out himself) You could just get into his google and get a lot of stuff popping up at him from various sites that don't support the WT, like this one, JW Facts, silent lambs, etc.

That won't work, the WT firewall would go up immediately. As far a mail, it's hard enough to get him to open non anonymous mail, and as far as google, he barely uses the internet. Not the most technologically savvy person.

Even better, tell him to read the James book on the Library.
    It was written by Ed Dunlap and edited by Raymond Franz. In my opinion its the precursor to In Search of Christian Freedom,

This might work, I wonder if there is a "favorites" option and I could bookmark it for him.

• Simon
    Simon

"would this work"

How about you switch it - if you were intending to read Crisis of Conscience and someone slipped a WT in there instead would you suddenly find yourself going to meetings?

I think it's better to be open and honest or let people find out things on their own. You can't "trick" people awake.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Simon:

I would have to agree with that statement. Besides, with the way the Watchtower is conducting financial arrangements right now, many JWs are starting to wake up anyway. Tricks are not the answer! Money is so tight right now that some JWs are trying to decide whether to contribute or not. And many are not in a position to give like they did in times past.

WTUnderground!

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    I know this is not on the original thread, but I agree with Atlantis. There must be a lot of people who are no longer donating anymore. I think there maybe a lot of people who are either waking up on there own, are still in and active but don't donate because of the issue they have with the Society or they are just plain upset with some things and still believe and don't donate or just broke.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think there maybe a lot of people who are either waking up on there own, are still in and active but don't donate because of the issue they have with the Society

My mother and aunt are in that column. Both in their 80s. Loyal, diehard JDubs for decades. But............"something is wrong". They are no longer giving any of their money to the WTS.

I'm hoping there are LOTS of others making the same decision.

Doc

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    Your dad can't be that dumb.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Yeah, I don't think there is a lot of hope for anyone unless they get a niggle of question on their own . . . or maybe use the WT broadcasting against the borg.Just encourage him to go back and see all the GB talks before they water them down with non-GB brothers. The GB is enough to get anyone questioning.Bring beer and doritos. Sit there with him, discuss some noncritical things in a desultory fashion and let him comment on the idiocy of the entire programs. Let it happen naturally.

That's my best idea. The WT seems to be poisoning their own well, so let them all drink from it and taste that it is not good!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit