Describe Your Spirituality

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think that very few people feel more secure with their spirituality than they did while believing Witnesses. I know I'm in a state of searching my spirituality.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have a new found desire, and hope, and understanding, and belief. I want to please God, and try to live my life the best I can, treating others like I want to be treated. I have not officially joined another church, don't know if I will.

But I certainly believe that Jesus died for us, and that as long as we accept him, and believe in him, then we will be ok. From the discussions I have had with many Christian people, they all say that is all that is required. From what I read in the bible, it seems to be correct.

Simple as that: Believe in Jesus, accept him as our savior, do our best, and we are done! No going to meetings, confessing to elders, going door to door.

• blackout
    blackout

Yes Minimus, that's the key for me, SEARCHING.

I think that if you ever feel you know all about god and spirituality, you have definitely lost the plot.

God is infinite. Therefore we can not truly know him.

Where I stand right now, you might put a label on me as a 'New Ager'. I believe in a creator of the universe, I believe we are a kind of experiment, I believe in some way we are either re-incarnated or move on to 'a better place', I believe the SEARCH for enlightenment is the point of life, I believe in mankind as being able to make this world work out, I believe in positivity.

I dont belive in religious organisations. I dont believe in judging others, I dont believe there is one true path.

• neyank
    neyank

I was spiritual before becoming a JW and I'm spiritual after leaving them.

I think to a certain degree JWs lose their spirituality because everything they do is physical and not spiritual.

Everything is done to try to earn points with God.

neyank

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

I'd have to say I'm way more spiritual now that I'm an X-JW .. I personally feel we are all connected to everything and we should take notice of those little signs in our day to day life that we are doing things in a harmonious way with our fellow man/animals/planet. I don't know of anyone that could say that treating people/animals/planet with love and respect without judgment is harmful or wrong.

And the bests parts of my Spirituality is that I have a relationship with it .. my works produces love in my direction.

How much longer is it going to be before people realise that you can't please god/people/religious groups/etc. But you can get loving and complete fufillment from pleasing yourself.

2 simple rules to my spirituality ... 1) Don't hurt yourself physically/mentally. 2) Don't hurt others physically/mentally.

m0nk3y

• SYN
    SYN
  • SYN
    SYN

Spirituality is a word with a pretty broad definition. Perhaps the closest I've ever gotten to "spirituality" was once when I was walking alone down a moonlit beach on the Indian Ocean, just experiencing the ocean. It was a deeply moving thing for me, and it would take entire books to describe how I felt at that particular moment.

The Ghod portrayed by the Judeo-Christian set of religions, on the other hand, is quite ridiculous.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Perhaps we should pose the question: Is spirituality about beliefs? Now if you say yes, I guess that pretty much agrees with your answer. But if you say no, it may be worth examining whether that answer comes from a belief or not. If you don't have an answer, that may be the best answer. Consider this scenario: A parent who loves their child leaps out in front of a car to save their child - (hey, it helps to throw some drama in right) does that come from a belief? Don't be fooled, if we say it's because they love their child it may be a true statement, but that just becomes another idea to believe in. If anything, I'd think we can agree that spirituality is something that's alive, this would imply that religious beliefs are dead, regardless of what they are.

Why would a belief system make someone spiritual? Can't you program a computer to do the same thing? So are we talking about having newer, better programming than when we were witnesses?

• Undecided
    Undecided

Don't ask me, God will have to decide that, if there is such a thing. Spiritual beings have never been seen by me, damn I forgot, you can't see a spirit. Do they talk though? I've never heard one yet. They do come to earth and screw women, at least they did according to the bible before they got drowned in the flood.

I just don't know what to think, the only sure thing I can know is we die and none have shown up later in the physical world. Sometimes I think of a God and hope he cares more than he has demonstrated in this life, but what do I know? I may be causing my life to be stamped out forever by my questioning the whys of this life. I keep inching toward atheism, but at times still believe in a God and mentally talk to him.

Who knows, I may become a religious fanatic some day, after all, who would have thought I would be 180 degrees from JWs now?

Ken P.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Serene. I feel that I have more faith now than when I was a good little Dub because now I realize that I don't know all the answers, don't know what time Armageddon is coming, and I just have to trust that there is a Supreme Being who cares about me. I still believe that and feel that I see evidence of it in the creation around me, but that's just me. Everyone has to find their faith somewhere. Dear JH, perhaps even though your prayers haven't been answered you've still been given something you need: all of us (trolls excepted) on this board to talk to, confide in, vent to, listen to, and just generally be there for you. It's pretty cool to let my mind open to new ideas and just maybe it doesn't matter to God what religion we are as long as we're doing our best and trying to be good people.

Or maybe we're just a little marble in an intergalactic game, like the ending of "Men in Black." For the moment, at least, I'm not going to worry about it and just enjoy my freedom from everlasting rules that stifle the mind's ability to trust.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit