What's with such young "elders"?

by Gig 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Gig
    Gig

How can the WTS consider an unmarried man in his mid-twenties qualified to be an elder? Clearly the "theocratic" process of election by the Holy Spirit is not what's happening. Ever known any (too) young elders? Didn't this create problems for some of the other (older/more experienced) aspiring "brothers"? or were they actually humble enough to accept it as a "divine" appointment just like the FDS nonsense? Did the young buck "shepherd" maintain his humility and ability to "pay attention to the flock" or did his assumed maturity erode with the corruption of power?

• Princess
    Princess

There was this total nerd that was a year ahead of me in school. He was appointed when we were in our early twenties. Couldn't have been more than 25. It was a total joke. I still think he is too young at 34. Of course I could never take him seriously and now it doesn't matter.

Rachel

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Ever known any (too) young elders?

Yes, me !

I was in my mid twenties and I knew I did not qualify according to the Scriptures, but the elders were convinced and , hell, you dont turn that sort of thing down.

Incidentally,there is a saying over here that a sure sign of our own advancing years is that policemen start to look very young. Are you sure that this is not the case with the elders too?

• logansrun
    logansrun

Well, I was appointed as a ministerial servant at 18 and was instantly getting assignments that other MS's over a dozen years older than me had never had before. By the time I was 21 I was the regular book study conductor ( a position I held till I was 24). I gave public talks about once a month and did everything an elder would do except sit on a JC or elders meeting. My PO (himself only 32 years old) called me the "presiding ministerial servant." Looking back (and I am only 26 now) I can say that in some ways I did deserve the priveleges I got since I honestly was more knowledgeable about the Bible and a far better speaker than all the elders (I know this sounds cocky, but it's true). I was never an elder, but my experience is that being appointed young can have one of two affects: make you a self-righteous know it all or make you more "down to earth" and "with it" when it comes to people's lives (at least younger people's). I did feel rather uncomfortable and inexperienced when it came to certain matters under my jurisdiction, though.

Let's face it, practically all the elders are unqualified to teach the Bible, conduct a public speaking school, or deal with the emotional and spiritual problems of most people. It's an untrained class of ministers and it shows.

• sandy
    sandy

NEWBIE,

MAY I ASK WHY YOU LEFT THE ORGANIZATION?

I AM IN ACTIVE NOW AND NOT REALLY THINKING OF GOING BACK. YOUR RESPONSE TO THIS QUESTION MADE ME WONDER WHY YOU LEFT.

• Francois
    Francois

Um, 'cause all the older guys have wised up and left the organization so they can chase young, hot, worldly wimmen while they still remember what to do with them?

ft

• blondie
    blondie

Even Jesus wasn't appointed to the most serious position on earth, being Messiah, until he was 30. And he was a perfect man.

Blondie

I think they are desperate for elders so will take them young and then train them right.

• LB
    LB

I recall a 17 year old apointed as a MS. It was laughable. Mature? Approachable? Yeah right. So at age 24 he's an elder. Still living at home with mommy and daddy. I enjoyed tormenting him. He had a huge crush on the same girl my son married. He would look so angry and jealous when he saw them at the hall. I would just say "don't they make a lovely couple, she really wanted a spiritual brother in her life". Oh I'm such a turd.

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

The JW elder arrangement is a joke. I saw guys come into the religion after me and rise through the ranks to elder in under 10 years. The congregations are clearly desperate.

Nothing like a middle aged sister getting counciled by little Tommy LOL

• somebody
    somebody

Speaking about elders in congregations. And I can't help but smile about what Princess said, for it is SO true!! How does a 25 year old councel a 30-60 year old about life in general and their PERSONAL relationship with God and their family?

You all might get a kick out of this

Watchtower May 1, 1955

Do Christians Take Honorary Titles? To appraise honorary titles intelligently we must know what the effect of using them is. Since they are a designation implying distinction and dignity, they create class distinctions. That is what exists among professed Christians today: the clergy and laity class distinctions. Early Christians were all brothers. They had no class distinctions, not the slightest trace of a hierarchy. If class distinctions cropped up, they were condemned and uprooted. Class distinctions were never condoned, as the Bible writer James showed: "You have class distinctions among yourselves and you have become judges rendering corrupt decisions, is that not so?" (Jas. 2:4, NW) Since honorary titles create class distinctions, could they really befit Christians?.......
    What, now, of the title “Elder”? The Greek word translated “elder” in the King James Version Bible is presbýteros. Literally it means “older one” or “more aged one.” So it really is not a title. Paul said: “Make appointments of older men [“elders,” AV] in city after city.” (Titus 1:5, NW) Note carefully that those appointed to special privileges of service were not appointed to be elders but because they were elders or older men. The rule was that those who were to be appointed to be overseers (epískopos) over the flock of God were required to be “older men,” namely, those whose fruits of word, doctrine and conduct proved them to be “older men” or mature ones in a spiritual way. So the Bible gives no authority for using “elder,” “bishop” and “deacon” as honorary titles....... Since God’s Word condemns honorary titles, would it be wrong for a Christian to address a king as “King” or a judge as “Your Honor” or “Your Lordship”? No. When Christians address rulers and judges, they are addressing them as civil servants and not in worship or as spiritual leaders....... True Christians do not use any kind of honorary titles. It means much more: the use of honorary titles is a sign of false religion. Abandon such false religion. Practice true religion by associating with the New World society of Jehovah’s witnesses. There are no class distinctions among these true Christians; all are brothers.......... “Let me not, I pray you, respect any man’s person; neither will I give flattering titles unto any man. For I know not to give flattering titles; else would my Maker soon take me away.”

Now (2003) consider that not only are elders in Kingdom Halls worth double honor, but their counsil should be as if God himslef spoke it! ( I'll find that quote too if anyone cares to see it...I KNOW i read it in a Watchtower, dispensing the good spritual food that they claim they do! ). No class distinctions? PLEASE!!!!

To this very day, the WBTS claim that they have NO CLASS DISTINCTIONS.

peace,

somebody/gwen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit