"Sexist" Dress Code??

by Fe2O3Girl 13 Replies latest social current

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2791943.stm

A Job Centre employee has taken his employer to a tribunal because he claims that the dress code is sexist - women are not required to adhere to a similar standard. His union is backing him.

I am inclined to say "Oh boo hoo, poor you, your employer has a dress code! If you don't like it, find another job. Try working in the private sector and see how far you get."

On the other hand, it does sound as if, in this case, the dress code for his female colleagues was much less strict.

What do you make of this story?

• Angharad
    Angharad

I agree with him - it is sexist to say he must wear a tie, but women can wear whatever they like. If everyone had to wear a uniform then he should wear a tie if that is part of it, but otherwise I think its unfair to threaten disciplinary / dismissal

• Angharad
    Angharad
    Women in his office were allowed to wear T-shirts and on one occasion, one of his female colleagues even wore a football shirt without facing disciplinary action, Mr Thompson told the tribunal in Manchester.

I think he definately has a case after reading the article

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

If you work for MY business, I call the shots. I can tell you what to wear, I can tell you what is acceptable behavior and what is not as long as I'm not breaking any laws.

If I want you to wear a tie, do it. If you don't want to wear one, go work for someone else. The end.

• Angharad
    Angharad
    If you work for MY business, I call the shots. I can tell you what to wear, I can tell you what is acceptable behavior and what is not as long as I'm not breaking any laws.

If I want you to wear a tie, do it. If you don't want to wear one, go work for someone else. The end.

I agree - but I think the point he is trying to make is that the same standards of dress should be required of the women too, why is it ok for them to wear t-shirts / football shirts and yet its not ok for him to wear a smart collered polo shirt (saw him being interviewed on lunch time news and he showed what it was he wanted to wear) If there are going to be standards / dress rules they should apply to everyone.

• Simon
    Simon

It's a clear and cut case as far as I can tell - rules should apply equally ... unless they are saying that they want equality "only when it suits"

For most people, they work better when they are comfortable and this usually implies more formal wear.

We have people where I work that are very smart and formal and, well, completely useless. I'd much rather employ someone (and be employed) for the skills and abilities rather than "hey, he wears a tie!"

There are a few circumstances where it's appropriate (if you are the front-line) but on the whole I think it is a throwback to a bygone age that contributes nothing.

Where it is required, then it should be required of everyone, equally, and that is the main issue.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Bit like life in the Borg really. The women got greater latitude than the men when it came to dress codes. It bugged the hell out of me that the men sat in starched shirt and tie while the women schlepped around in denim. I advocated that we should all either get to wear what we like or both sexes should wear suits.

Now, I couldn't give a flying fig what people wear.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Thanks for all your comments!

I agree that wearing a suit and tie does not make a person better at their job. I have observed that work dress codes are more casual in Europe, and society does not grind to a halt! I think it is a case of conforming to the culture of your workplace.

If this man was complaining that his female colleagues in the photocopying department were being paid more than him, or he was consistently passed over for promotion compared to his female colleagues, I would take his case seriously.

I can see that the women he works with are not being subject to the same restrictions of dress code that he is. Overall, though, this strikes me as a trivial matter to be spending union members subs on.

I suspect that if he were to look for employment in the private sector, he would soon find that he would be required to wear a collar and tie at work, and he would not be enjoying all the benefits of working in the public sector.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

If I want you to wear a tie, do it. If you don't want to wear one, go work for someone else. The end

If you don't make concessions for good workers, then you're going to end up with a bunch of burger flippers who can't do the job well. Always give good emplyees a break and let them call some minor shots now and then.

I layed the law down at work, and I can wear what I want now, even though there is a dress code. As long as it is business casual, they don't care.

Clothes mean nothing. Performance is everything.

ash

• kat_newmas
    kat_newmas

This may not help but it really happened:

I work in a small office, part time (as I am an artist) my boss kept nagging me about the fact that I wear a small ear ring in each ear. (he doesn't complain too much because I am good at what I do) One day he just walked in, and said "no more", " I dont want you wearing earings to work"

I looked at he and his wife (who had her ears peirced) and said "what..... you dont want me to wear these, because I have a Penis?" .... (a short pause) . . . . . I said "how do you KNOW I have a penis?"

He said "well I assume, since you are married....."

I cut him off .. "Well if I am married, and that part of my life is acceptable, then stop worrying if I am wearing something that you preffer not to ascociate with a penis"

In the end.... I think he was just tired of me saying the word "penis" so much. But I still dress how I want to. If he really wanted to fire me, I suppose he could get away with it..... but I would protest.... I would bring my penis to court with me, and swear that it had no knowlege of what was in my ears.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit