The Society prefers to pay out!!!!

by caspian 14 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Sixofnine raises a very interesting point. The real problems could start when they try to kick somebody out. The conventions in my area are always held in a publicly owned facility. If I just go in and take notes or something, I don't think they can make me leave.

If all you did was sit down in an orderly fashion and take notes, they probably wouldn't try to make you leave. If, on the other hand, you stand up at your seat during the keynote address, strip naked, and start urinating into the crowd...or something even more obnoxious than that, like distributing literature that disagrees with Watchtower teachings...then they'd probably have to give you the old heave-ho.

• Downunderandout
    Downunderandout

As part of the lease of these types of venues the WTS will need to have public liability insurance cover. So when someone claims for injury their insurer, not the WTS pays out. BUT, if the number and frequency of claims grows the WTS may find that they are unable to buy public liability insurance and therefore unable to meet all the conditions of such a lease so they may not be able to rent such places and have such conventions… now that would be a shame!

• metatron
    metatron

Now, you've got the right idea! While the Watchtower doesn't directly pay for these injuries, their already tarnished reputation

can be made further odious by Witnesses threatening lawsuits. Eventually, the KM will have an insert telling publishers

to not cook in their rooms, steal towels, -- or sue the stadium owners.

metatron

• Francois
    Francois

Interesting points here.

Let's say the Dubs rent a convention center. I suppose as temporary leaseholders, they can eject any person from the premises who is causing a disruption. Say you had a big ol' placard that says something like "Ted Jacarz Fondles Little Girls." I'd say they would be within their rights to force you off their venue, out of their "leasehold," right?

BUT. Where does their leasehold end and public property start? The sidewalk on the same side of the street as the venue? Certainly they didn't rent the streets surrounding the venue, but you can't impede the normal flow of traffic.

SO. Does that mean you can have your aforementioned Ted placard on the sidewalk across the street froom the venue where you cannot be touched? (And where, if you were touched, you'd have a civil suit against them, plus maybe a false arrest/imprisonment charge or something like that?)

We would be performing a public service, I think, if we put together a little booklet titled something like "The Apostates Guide to Successful Picketing," and made it available at cost to anyone who wants to picket an assembly, or a local Hall for that matter. It would have to be tailored for each state, I guess. And maybe an International version would be good.

What chall think?

francois

• caspian
    caspian

As part of the lease of these types of venues the WTS will need to have public liability insurance cover. So when someone claims for injury their insurer, not the WTS pays out.

I asked the same point to the legal brother, and he explained that because the insurance excess is so high per claim, about £2000, and they don't want the premiums to rise significantly, they will for up to claims of £10K pay out of their own pocket. What they view the insurance for is for a really big damaging claim.

Would a devout JW sue God's organization?

The angle that the legal desk take is that no genuine JW would dare make a claim, and that seems to be the case.

Almost all of the claiments are studies, or ones regarded as being on the fringe of the truth who see the society as a cash cow.

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit