The Society prefers to pay out!!!!

by caspian 14 Replies latest jw friends

• caspian
    caspian

I was down at the London Branch recently, talking to the the bros on the legal desk, when I came across an interesting snippet.

At UK District Conventions, about half are indoor, and the rest are held in cold draughty football stadiums.

It seems that over the past 2 years, the amount of attendees of these conventions held in the outdoor stadiums, who are now sueing the Society for injuries caused by trips and falls down steep stadium stairs has risen from an average of 1 or 2 per year to over 30 cases.

The availability of these new style No win No fee Lawyers are proving to much of an attraction to those out for a quick buck.

The Societies position, I thought was interesting, as the average payout is between £3K and £7K, they are quite happy to settle out of court, as it is cheaper than going to court.

I then got to thinking. Imagine if every apostate went to a convention, and took a little fall, trapped a finger, grazed a knee and so-on...... Could turn Conventions in to a very expensive hobby for the Society..

By the way Simon, the forum looks great..

Cas

"

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Warning Apostate Zone:

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Oh my, I don't know what it would cost if a person fell and was injured while being hustled off grounds by attendants who were doing the work assigned them by the society.

• Matty
    Matty

Surely if someone injured themselves falling over at, say Twickenham, it would be the RFU's responsibility - the Watchtower Society don't own these venues...?

• caspian
    caspian

Matty Good point

The Legal desk explained that Most stadia companies make the WTBS indemnify them these type of claims in the rental contract.

Cas

• minimus
    minimus

Caspian, you devious little trouble-making, apostate wannanbe......thanks for the idea. Do you know of any lawyers, too?

• freedom96
    freedom96

If a witness fell at a convention, and then sued the WTS for damages, I am suprised they aren't severely counciled for doing so. Wouldn't that be slapping Jehovah's organization in the face?

In fact, being that the WTS is supposed to be headed by Jehovah, are these people actually suing God?

I guess the witnesses are not immune from the idiots who must sue everyone and/ or looking to make a quick buck at the expense of others.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Sixofnine raises a very interesting point. The real problems could start when they try to kick somebody out. The conventions in my area are always held in a publicly owned facility. If I just go in and take notes or something, I don't think they can make me leave.

• Matty
    Matty

Speaking from experience it's very easy to get someone thrown out of a convention ground - "difficult" people are not generally ejected by attendants. The police love the Witness Conventions - no wonder - being assigned there is mainly just a complete doss for them - very different to the soccer crowds! They are plied with doughnuts and coffee and spend most of their time with their feet up - and so if a steward tells them that someone in the crowd is being "disruptive" they will get their collar felt by the fuzz - they usually go quietly.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride
    It seems that over the past 2 years, the amount of attendees of these conventions held in the outdoor stadiums, who are now sueing the Society for injuries caused by trips and falls down steep stadium stairs has risen from an average of 1 or 2 per year to over 30 cases.

Would a devout JW sue God's organization?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit