Witnesses vying for "who has the biggest trials to cope with"

by stuckinarut2 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It struck me that witnesses have mastered the art of revelling in "trials and problems" that require "enduring"

Of course, the persecution complex, and the paranoia about these "wicked last days" no doubt contributes to this.

If one witness has some health issue, or if another has a family drama, they seem to revel in sharing these stories amongst their witness friends...almost in an attempt to elicit sympathy.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Most normal people though outside of the org, simply recognise that life has its ups and downs, and need to be dealt with.

• tiki
    tiki

So true...I remember years ago when I was still stuck in...hating to be with a bunch of sisters because all they would talk about is how awful their operations were..their legs...hips...you name it. I actually preferred to be in the company of the "brothers" because at least they'd not be stuck in their perceived miseries...more intelligent conversation....

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Yes, we see it too. It's who has the most "endurance."

We have family members who have problems. My spouse and I have had problems before (we all do). We muddled through. Our JW family members couldn't find their way out of a paper sack. They blame Satan for everything and then sit on their hands waiting on Jehovah to send a resolution to their problems. We know it doesn't work that way but trying to get them to see that THEY have to actually change their lifestyle is like trying to reason with a tree. Frustrating as hell.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

From what I have observed from my mom - this world should have ended when she was younger and healthier. Now that she has health problems that most "worldly" people expect to happen at some point in their aging, she is shocked and terrified. This wasn't supposed to happen to her. When I go over to her house tho, I do hear about all the operations etc. that other witnesses have had...

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STUCKINARUT:

I had this very conversation with an elder many years ago. You know what his answer was? "Sometimes people are suffering because they are just plain stupid."

There you have it, that's what a "brother and elder" said. I am inclined to think that men have less patience for bullshit and women tolerate a whole lot more garbage.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

"Heartaches are heroes when their pockets are full"

A line from the song "Seven Year Ache" which to me describes what you are talking about.

People who are doing well and don't really have anything to complain about, often like to brag about how hard they have, or have had things in life. It makes them feel less guilty for not currently being part of the Judeo Christian martyrdom that is so looked up to by a certain cross section of our society.

• steve2
    steve2

It fits perfectly with the JW outlook. What JW is ever free to acknowledge how marvellous "worldly" services and products are - even when they benefit from them?

I've seen JWs benefit from hugely costly medical procedures not available in earlier decades - all paid for by the government.

Are they grateful? No.

You still catch them saying, "We need the new system because doctors don't have the answers." If those doctors and others had sat on their hands like JWs do waiting for the new system, the medical procedures the JWs benefit from wouldn't be available to improve lives.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

In witnessworld everything is a competition even misery.

I figure it's because the GB rewards self-made martyrs by using their example in yearbooks, awake articles, convention "experiences" etc.

The only attention to be had is being a really really "blessed" career witness or by being really really "persecuted" and "tested" and living to tell the tale.

And, if you can't be really really actually persecuted you just make up some storm in a teacup bs story about how your scarewy disfellowshipped relative tried to speak to you but you mangaed to stay strong and shun the shit out of that bitch. Then you get interviewd at the assembly and you win the award that year for most persecuted.

• compound complex
    compound complex

There's a Scripture (I'm too lazy to look it up) that states all those desiring to live in godly devotion with Christ will be persecuted. It's part of the package.

Frankly, I became sick to death of hearing "Satan this and Satan that" in almost every JW conversation, as ToesUp intimated.

• Toshibabadu
    Toshibabadu

When my non JW husband and I would argue, i felt sooooooo persecuted. Oh i would cry and cry out to Jehovah. I felt horrible...all of my trails and tribulations. My husband was being used by satan to persecute me. Now we when argue...its like "you're being an ass" then next day we're cool...life goes on.. no more sobbing and feeling tortured cause my husband and I disagree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit