Need Help with Blood Transfusion Illustration

by Dissonant15 78 Replies latest watchtower medical

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

As I'm sure Cofty, JWFacts and others have pointed out in detail, the JWs have taken the 'abstain from blood' scripture out of context. I think it's to do with God forbidding the eating of blood. The Apostle Paul (who wrote the scripture) had no idea about blood transfusions and so couldn't possibly have had them in mind when he wrote the scripture.

Also, I'm not sure the alcohol-blood analogy is a sound one. Medics used to disinfect wounds by using rubbing alcohol. I'm sure that was still the case when treating an alcoholic's (i.e. someone who must 'abstain from alcohol') wounds. An alcoholic in the past could well have been advised to abstain from ingesting alcohol, yet his wound might have been treated with rubbing alcohol.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Oops - just read OneEyedJoe's post.

He beat me to it.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

And so did nugget

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

All you have to say is, "this is a flawed analogy. Google 'non equivalency fallacy' and see what you find."

they need to do the work themselves.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Even as a kid with a basic understanding of how the body works, I knew this illustration was bogus.

Hearing it now make me want to reach for a drink.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I haven't read all of the posts but the first thing that comes to mind is that the bible says not to eat blood. Transfusing blood for medical purposes hadn't even been thought of when the Bible was being written. The special regulations about blood were intended to show the sacredness of the life of the animals that were being used as food and to remind the Israelites not to take the killing of animals, lightly.

As far as the alcohol / eating blood analogy is concerned, It isn't logical. If you transfuse blood into the veins of a starving man, he'd still be starving because he needs food and the nutrients it contains. whereas injecting alcohol and drinking it, would have the same effect on a person who was told to abstain from it. If you eat blood, the body digests it however If you transfuse blood, it continues to be blood to do the job of blood is intended to do, within the body.

The comparison of drinking alcohol VS injecting it into ones blood, isn't a valid one. It sounded somewhat plausible when we were taught it as children or were new ones willing to limit our thinking abilities, but really what they are doing is comparing apples to oranges and in this case it's a deadly comparison.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

@Dissonant15, this page has plenty of well written articles on the blood issue:

www.ajwrb.org/

"if your doctor directs you to 'abstain from alcohol' would you be ok to have it injected into your veins rather than drink it?

www.ajwrb.org/is-a-blood-transfusion-a-meal

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

The bible clearly said to pour the blood on the ground, not into a centrifuge where it will be separated into parts and then you can pick and choose which parts you feel comfortable using. This right here seems to negate their alcohol analogy

If you cut yourself would you hesitate to clean the cut with alcohol because of your doctor's orders.

If for whatever reason you were in a situation where alcohol was the only way to save your life who's advice would you listen to?

Acts 15:29 doesn't even seem to be a a command but more of a warning or sage advice. It sounds to me like there was something specific going on in Antioch, Syria and Cilicia that prompted the writing of the letter. Compare it to the advice you might give someone going off to college for the first time.

It could easily be applied as a warning against making too many rules and regulations.

The problem is that it is a nonsensical Homeresque argument that makes sense when you hear it but not so much when you think about it.

Example of a Homeresque argument:

Marge Simpson "Homer the plant called and said if you don't come to work on Friday don't bother showing up on Monday."

Homer: "Woo hoo 4 day weekend!"

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled
    Dissonant15 - if you are looking for responses I've found it's better to get fully informed on all aspects of what's wrong with the doctrine rather than be armed with an answer to a single illustration.

Some good resources have already been listed, but I would add these that I found particularly helpful and comprehensive:

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.ca/2010/09/wtsblooddoctrine.html

http://meletivivlon.com/2013/09/10/jehovahs-witnesses-and-the-no-blood-doctrine/
  • Divergent
    Divergent

http://thejehovahswitnesses.org/abstain-from-blood.php

Good explanation given here. MUST READ!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit