Do you feel embarrsed?

by The Rebel 26 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I think that all of us raised as dubs were embarrassed at one time of another because of our bizarre beliefs. I sure was. It was part of our jw culture. Being 'different' was to be worn as a badge of courage in jw-land.

As I look back, I think it would be honest to say that if I had truly believed with my "whole heart, soul, and strength" I would not have been embarrassed. But even a child's mind can often separate truth from fiction.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    Do you feel embarrsed?

I once tried to sell Watchtower "consolation" to a lady I knew quite well who had just lost her newborn son. I still feel very bad and embarrassed about it.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

eyeused2badub:I think that all of us raised as dubs were embarrassed at one time of another because of our bizarre beliefs. I sure was. It was part of our jw culture. Being 'different' was to be worn as a badge of courage in jw-land.

Ditto exactly for me. If I had felt even a hint that the Dubs bizarre beliefs were true, all of the ridicule and condescension endured by me as a child would have been worth it and I would never have left. it's like being in prison.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

As a JW, I was always embarrassed. I knew things didn't quite add up but it just had to be the truth. It embarrassed me to believe something that I couldn't explain, especially when so much time at meetings was spent mocking adherents of other religions for that very thing. I'm also sorta ashamed of who I was for much of my time as a JW - I was a self-righteous prick. But I've changed once I realized the error of my ways so I'm too worried about that. Besides when you grow up with adults telling you how you know more about the bible than any worldly person I don't know that there's much of a chance not to turn into a bit of a prick about some things.

Looking back, the thing I'm most embarrassed about now is just that it took me so long to really investigate things. I was so close to waking up in my late teens, if I'd done one google search I would've been out.

• Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif

Rebel - Hi,

I enjoy you proliferate production of threads. Most times theres a hidden gem from yourself or a fellow poster. I think your too enthusiastic to allow certain posters to darken you. Keep on Keeping on man.

Am I embarrassed? Yes & no. Yes when I think back on my time and how dogmatic I must have appeared. No when I think back to my life prior to becoming a JW. There's a certain dignity that I feel came into my life. My marraige was ending. It was at my instigation. Learning bible standards helped me to deal with myself. We celebrated our ruby wedding this year.

I stopped smoking. Only one in our family who did. Only one with no heart and lung probs.

Finally, I learned to be content with the simpler things in life. Only one in my family who didnt rack up massive debt probs.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    i am still the same person i always was. i just am not known as one of JW
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Thanks for the replys.

Well I guess I am embarrassed I fell for selling the product.

And what was the product.

A) THE FANTASTIC GIVE- AWAY OFFER, was ETERNAL LIFE. Which strangely nobody seemed to want.

Also at 21, I was also a little embarrassed by the vehicle I owned. Which was a left foot and a right foot. And if I hadn't spent so much time knocking doors, offering people eternal life, I could have earned some money and driven a car. And 21 year olds with cars weren't virgins, but 21 year old witness kids ....well actually this is getting embarresing.

The Rebel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit