National TV Series, Family Secrets: 1/2 hr episode on Sexual Abuse of JW

by morrisamb 20 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

An important update!

The policeman who arrested my father 2 decades ago called me today. He wants to meet me tomorrow with his wife and daughter (he's 72 now and I haven't seen him since the trial!)

I said to him, "Do you know what happened to the detective who I first asked if I could charge my abuser?"

He said, "I only dealt with him on your case. And we never really got along. He wouldn't let me interview the Elders in Aylmer."

I said, "Why is that?"

"He knew I was angry at the Elders for not doing anything for you children!"

I said, "That's not why. Did you know that the detective was a Witness?"

"No!"

"I can't believe he protected the Elders at the detriment of my case! And here back then I thought it was a sign from God that the detective was in the same JW religion as we were! That's why the Elders didn't show up in court as they had been supoened. They knew the detective was covering their asses!"

As some who've read my book have noted, my family was not only abused by the molester; we were abused by the system - both judicical and religious!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Wow, what an update! This really touches me as I am just now reaching this part of the book. Thanks for sharing.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Wow morrisamb, quite the story! Once the television program airs and if someone can record it and convert it to a digital format, could they please send a copy to me so that I can put it up at http://www.dirtclod.com? The more coverage the better.

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Just got back from meeting with the Policeman (and his wife and daughter) who arrested my abuser 22 years ago. Very nice guy....he said the detective, since he was a Witness, should have excused himself from our case, because it was a conflict of interest. Yeah, a convenient one for the Elders, eh!

He also said, when my father was in the cell when he was arrested, he said, "I'm going to plead guilty 'cause I want to spare my children the trauma from testifying."

The cop said, "What a load of crap!"

Amen to that. He has never acknowledged his children's trauma for what he did; he certainly didn't give a shit about our feelings testifying about it. He knew he would have been up shit creek if his kids were able to testify to the true story.

Unfortunately, he won that round. Fortunately two decades later, my book final sets the record straight.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

morrisamb

I have a question. How did the Witness detective get involved in the case? He's from Toronto and you guys are in Aylmer. Is that a long distance between the two cities?

When you approached Adam Sandor for a study with your brother and sister I actually said out loud "No don't trust him!" Then I wasn't surprised at all when the detective showed up and told you he was a Witness and knew Sandor. Bless your heart, you had a lot on your plate at that point in your life and the sad fact was all the "adults" around you had their own agenda without consideration for your family .

I am so angry at Mr. X for having the gall to say that whilst in jail. I'm only just now at the point in the book where you and your sister are comparing notes to prepare your statement but knowing what was coming and now hearing this creep say that is so infuriating!!

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Hi Big Tex...well, I'd say the only reason he got involved was because he was a Witness...the Witness world is a small world, eh...Aylmer is two hours from Toronto. I believe the detective was asked to be involved by a District Overseer...of course, I believe you've read this part...the detective was involved not because the Witnesses thought of us as victims of a crime. Don't want to give away the real reason for those who haven't read the book....

So are you 'enjoying' the book? I'd be interested in your opinion of the writing!

I am enjoying your comments!

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Family Secrets Update:

Well, yesterday was another full day of shooting. Tuesday will be as well. I'm beat!

I'll give you an example of what it's like...after the long day when the family had left, the director told me last week she wanted to have a sit down interview. I've easily been interviewed over a hundred times in my life, so this is nothing to me. So we sit down...I thought she was going to ask me things like, "So, how do you feel about this project? What have you taken away from it? etc. etc." Do you know what the second question was? ...It was this: "Describe the first incident with your father when you were four."

Hey, I think I'd rather sit in a dentist's chair! You know what I mean. But there were lighter moments as well. When my little grand niece got dressed up in her flower girl beautiful white dress (for an upcoming wedding), I said, "You know, I wore a dress in a show just like that, but you look much prettier!" Everyone cracked up!

The assistant told me each episode cost more than $75,000 to make so it is a bit overwhelming -- I mean you want your story to be worth their time and investment!

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Finally finished filming this episode today...Spent the whole day in Sarnia...the morning they filmed my brother and I at the Sexual Assault Centre.

There will be a walkway of 40 stones, each personally designed by each victim of assault, in a park in Sarnia. 39 women and my brother is the only male...it will just look fantastic!

The episode will air May 12, 10:30pm (EST) on W Network in Canada

Thanks to all of you for your interest.

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

New Press:

Eric Bunnell's "People"St. Thomas Times Journal, Friday, March 21, 2003 - Pg. 5

Family Secrets making an impact
    A hello from DONALD D'HAENE, who is the author of Father's Touch, the extraordinary chronicle of sexual abuse he and siblings suffered at the hands of their father years ago in Elgin, and of their escape to survivorship. His book was published last year; his story now is to be the subject of an episode of a new W Network show, Family Secrets. The 13-part documetnary series looks at a wide range of crises in family lives - and in doing so, says Genie-winning executive producer MAUREEN JUDGE, hopefully opens a few windows into viewers' lives, as well. Donald's story is to air May 12 on W, which is the former Women's Television Network, after Toronto-based MAKIN' MOVIES filmed for a month in this area. "A month of filming!," Donald says. "Whew....well, it will be interesting." Donald says the response to his book - available at WORDS OF WELLNESS, Galleria - continues to amaze him. Indeed, readers have rated Father's Touch worthy of five stars at bookseller AMAZON.COM's Web site. "I don't know if the book is good," Donald says. (He is modest.) "All I can say is that the public is responding to the story."
  • Big Tex
    Big Tex

morrisamb

That's great news. Do you know if the program will be shown in the U.S.?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit