National TV Series, Family Secrets: 1/2 hr episode on Sexual Abuse of JW

by morrisamb 20 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Now that it's official, I can release the information: My book, family and story will be a one half-hour episode on the new series, Family Secrets on Canada's WTN (The Women's Network). The show debuts Monday, February 24, 10:30 pm EST Our story was the last one to be filmed (although ours will be the 12th episode - May 12) Filming for our episode included: a book reading; family gathering, my older brother and I returning to the home where most of the abuse occurred and to our former Kingdom Hall building in Aylmer, Ontario, which is exactly the same except now it is a Mennonite Church. Here is article in today's The London Free Press: Monday, February 24, 2003

Documentary series probes family secrets

By NOEL GALLAGHER, Free Press Press Arts & Entertainment Reporter
    Murder, adoption, alcoholism, incest, transsexuality, anorexia, gambling addiction and infertility are among the explosive issues explored in very personal ways by Family Secrets.

"The subjects and these families' responses to their different crises and situations inevitably provide us with a glimpse into our own lives as well," explains Maureen Judge, executive producer and creator of the 13-part TV documentary series premiering tonight on the W Network, formerly known as the Women's Television Network.

The initial episode, Birth Mothers Never Forget, focuses on Kitchener resident Barbara Estabrooks, who recounts the trauma of being an unwed, pregnant teenager in 1965.

"In those days, getting 'knocked up' was the worst thing I could have done, short of killing someone," recalls Estabrooks, who felt compelled to give her baby up for adoption. "I felt so guilty that I didn't even tell my mom until I was four months pregnant. To keep it secret, our family made up excuses and lies and I was told to get on with my life."

Still feeling the loss of the son she never knew, Estabrooks helps her daughter, Melora, prepare for the arrival of her first child.

The Family Secrets producers encountered a problem when a Toronto hospital barred them from filming the baby's birth.

"Then I realized the real drama of this story isn't the delivery room scene. It's the baby's trip home," says Judge, who won a Genie Award for Unveiled, her 1997 documentary about mother-daughter relationships.

"Barbara, after all, didn't get to bring her baby home."

A London couple hopes fertility treatments will give them the child they long for in Best Laid Plans airing on March 31.

"Women my age don't usually get involved in fertility treatments, so I felt very alone," says Courtney Hern, 28, a program co-ordinator for graduate studies at the University of Western Ontario.

Hern admits she and her husband, Ryan, a consulting engineer, had to surrender a great deal of privacy for the two months required to film their episode.

"But it was a really good experience," she adds. "I hope that watching this program might help other women in my situation. And being involved with the TV show also got Ryan and me to talk more about the subject and share our feelings with each other."

The destructive impact drug and alcohol addiction has on a family is chronicled in Blowing Out the Candles, airing March 3, while the title figure of Introducing Debbie (March 10) is a once-married father of two teenage sons who wants to live his life as a woman.

Family Secrets is filming a profile of London author Donald D'Haene, whose memoir Father's Touch, published last year, chronicles the troubled childhood he endured with his sexually abusive father.

"Normally, we couldn't get close to the issue of incest because of the legal problems involved, but those questions didn't exist here since Donald's book is already out and the fact there was a criminal conviction in the case," says Judge of the still-unnamed episode that airs May 12.

The documentary maker adds the emotional crisis in D'Haene's life fit the criteria of Family Secrets.

"We show people thinking and reflecting on their lives as they face some extraordinary circumstances and hope the audience will be moved by their stories."

IF YOU WATCH

What: Family Secrets, a weekly, 13-part documentary series produced by Makin' Movies Inc. of Toronto

When: Premieres tonight at 10:30 p.m.

Where: The W Network

• Swan
    Swan

WOW! Donald, that's really great! I hope the greater awareness this brings can facilitate some change. Maybe it can prevent these things from happening elsewhere. If it changes things in just one home, it is worth it.

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Thank you for the support Swan! I see you are reading my book...it's so weird that something that was so secret will now be known by millions! Surreal...like an episode of the twilight zone.

I'd love to get your opinion of my book!

• Swan
    Swan

Dear Donald;

I loved your book, but had to read it slowly because it brought to mind some abusive things from my past. What happened to you was absolutely inexcusable, and yet that is what all of them did, excuse it. You were betrayed not only by your father, but by the JWs, the police, the courts, and your father's new church. I hope this TV show puts the spotlight on all of them.

I thought the beginning style took a bit of getting used to, but then realized that it represented how fragmented your life, your thoughts, and your emotions were. Later on, the story style changed, and was representative of your life now. You were basically moving on with your partner and looking back, not reliving the trauma in fragmented pieces. The little child voice at the beginning was replaced more and more with a more mature, integrated voice. A very good technique.

Yes, having people stare at you like you are in a fishbowl is not easy, especially when you are basically a very private person. Sometimes we must do this though in order to maintain our own personal integrity and to further our recovery process. I applaud your courage in doing so.

Tammy

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Thank you Swan/Tammy for your important observations on my book. Much appreciated.

I just got back from the W Network filming my reading...I was among 5 authors who read tonight here in London, Ontario, Canada. I read 15 minutes from my book. Earlier today they filmed my mother and I looking at old photos and remembering the past. I got emotional at both shoots (as did one of my two siblings who came to my reading). This show is going to be something else.

Of course, there are many reasons why my family speaks out about our past. One of the many important reasons for me personally is that I do not accept a JW's or any religions viewpoint of my supposed status as a non-Christian. I've had just as many born-again Christians tell me I'm going to hell as Witnesses who've refused to speak to me. I do not acknowledge or accept eithers definition of who I am.

I am survivor; a worthy inhabitant of the planet earth. I hope that my story empowers victims.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Morrisamb,

Congratulations on your story getting out and thank-you so much for telling us about it!!

Do you know if it will be on U.S. TV? I would love to record it to chare with others.

You are such a strong man! Not only because you can choose to be a man of integrity now but because you can share your life’s tragedy with so many others in order to help insure this one day will not happen again.

I hope all goes well with you and that your able to make a difference in many more people’s lives!

Gotta Luvz Ya,#1

U_RRelax

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Thanks U_R! The W (formerly Women's) Network is a Canadian Channel broadcast across Canada. Perhaps it could be seen by satalite on US TV just as the CBC Fifth Estate show was.

Here is the W Network's website: http://www.wnetwork.com/

It gives the Family Secrets time schedule...our segment will air May 12, I believe but the 2nd episode airs Monday, 10:30 pm. EST

Thanks again for your interest and support!

We'll be posting updated info. regarding this show and other TV projects on my web site:

www.fatherstouch.com

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

An amazing letter I received at my web site:

Donald,
    You don't know me, my name is Kim (___) __________. My father is Pat _______.
    If you remember he was one of the investigating officers on your case so
    many yrs ago. Unbeknownst to you, your case affected many people back then
    and still does today. Your case has stayed with my father all these years
    and although until now we never had a name we (his family) all remember his
    anger and frustration then and in the ensuing years. He is now 72 years old
    and still becomes angry when he talk about the system failing you and yours
    (my words). After finding your web site (www.fatherstouch.com) I called Dad and gave him the
    address. He found out about the up and coming documentary and cut the
    article out of the paper, then found out you wrote a book but has been
    unable to find one. I know he will visit your site, but its unlikely he
    will e-mail you for fear of an unwanted contact. Not to minimize what you
    must have had to endure to get to where you are now but please know after
    all these years your case haunted him and now maybe he can obtain some
    closure knowing you are doing so well. I myself look forward to reading your
    book, All the Best!! Kim

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Wow. I got goosebumps reading that letter. Do you remember him at all? It's too bad that he feels as if he can't contact you. I guess it must be hard for him to reach out.

Thanks for sharing.

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Hi Big Tex, I do remember Pat...he is in my book; the policeman that was involved in the case after the detective was involved. What's amazing is that Pat was wonderful in the process...He didn't do anything wrong and he's the guy who felt the weight of responsibility!! It's always the good guys who feel responsible for the actions of those who have no conscience!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit