Do You Feels That Your Life Was Ruined Because of Ypur JW Experience?

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• faithnomore
    faithnomore

I guess it depends on what you mean by ruined:

No higher education.

Married very young (still married to same guy)

Spend thousands and thousands $ on donations, years of reg pioneering, Vehicle wear and tear

Lost a close family member to blood fraction/particle doctrine

Have a very close family member barely talks to me because I'm "inactive"

Watched heartache/pain from friends/family being df

So although I'm a bit miffed I don't think my life was/is ruined. I just want to show compassion and finish out my last 20ish years on this earth being a good/kind human being and enjoying what I can.

• tiki
    tiki

Scarred for life. Not maimed, but most certainly scarred.

• SammyLondon
    SammyLondon

I think for now my life is ruined, I miss my friends so much and knowing I'll never see them again is hard. But everyone who's been out a while seems to say it gets easier, so I'm looking forward to it not feeling ruined for too much longer!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Many people have less than perfect childhoods. But many of these same people find ways of moving beyond less than perfect pasts to have successful lives. The key to success is not using the past as an excuse - but finding opportunities within your present situation to move forward.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Not ruined, just delayed.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

For me, I regret a lot of things. Regret not being allowed to play sports after school which I feel has a direct impact on my health now. I regret not being able to forge close friendships with my peers at school as we could still be close friends now and now in my late 40s I find myself without any close friends.

I cannot say my life has been ruined because had my mother not found the witnesses she may well have found another cult to follow so my life is what it is, was what it was and will be what it will be.

• zeb
    zeb

lisa rose and crazy guy; you said it for me.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I lost time living in the cult. My solution is to live longer to make up for last time.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Not ruined Minimus, but greatly delayed in development and with a vast amount of time and effort wasted for no good purpose. Also slightly scarred but not where it shows... I hope.

In minor compensation there has been the pleasure of waking up and enjoying the freedom from feeling beholden to an undeserving cult. To be a JW is like being forced to carry a burdensome weight with you wherever you go. Afterwards, as long as you understand why the weight has been cast off, you can experience the lightness of living a normal life without the heavy baggage.

To be POMI must be a complete drain on a person, still carrying the Fear and Obligation but an even larger dose of Guilt for not doing anything about it.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Being a born-in I can't say my life was ruined but studded. Out of the rubble of the cult both my wife and I have survived. Out life is getting better and better. The cult still comes out of me rarely now. Still have no contact with our kids and grandchildren. We are working hard at making a satisfying new life by making new friends and being involved in the community. So not ruined just delayed.

I do think of those whose life was ruined. I know of two who committed suicide over guilty conscience. Thousands who experienced sexual abuse and struggle with their emotional turmoil daily, those who died due to no blood policy and organ transplant restrictions. Those are the one's who life's was ruined.

Happy are those who survived the cult for the truth has set us free. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit