Lent

by Robdar 26 Replies latest jw friends

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

You are right, the protestants don't pay much attention to Lent

No, actually, this is incorrect. The protestants do pay a great deal of attention to Lent. I was raised as a Lutheran and Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and lasts until Easter Sunday.

I was raised in the Missouri Synod and Lent was not viewed as a time of self- deprivation- it was a time to do more- a time of spiritual renewal. It was more about what you should do instead of what you shouldn't do. As kids we got involved in all sorts of extra giving activities during Lent.

Many of the Lutheran synods are becoming more Catholic in their practices, including giving up eating meat on Fridays during Lent, etc. Some Lutheran synods even go so far as to put ashes on the forehead on Ash Wednesday, similar to the Catholic practice.

XW

• Robdar
    Robdar

Ballistic,

Come to find out, the information was wrong and I apologize. For the Orthodox, Lent begins next Sunday. Tomorrow is Progidgal Son Sunday. Whatever that means.

Doesn't this practice on some level say, "I will do this and it will chage the attitude/love/behavior of God toward me?" And isn't this the same god in whom we know there is no change? Isn't the Lentan practice then a species of civil war within the heart/mind of the believer who knows God does not change, but engages in this puerile practice nonetheless? What does one expect to get from this Lentan thing?

Francois,

I was hoping that you would respond to this thread. I always enjoy hearing your .02. I can't answer your questions for others but for me, no. I do not think that my behavior during Lent is going to change God's attitude towards me. Me and the big Guy are tight already.

Lent?! Hell, this is my frigging DIET!!

LOL, Mary.

Thanks for posting, everybody.

Love yas,

Robyn

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Francois,

How do you interpret Matt. 4:2 "After he (Jesus) had fasted forty days and forty nights, then he felt hungry?" Also Luke 5:33-35 and Matt. 6:16-17. It seems that fasting has some type of role to play in the life of a follower of Jesus; it's not self deception.

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

In my church (Episcopal) one year the priest sermoned on Lent, not as a chance to "give something up" but a chance to "take something on."

You don't have to fast or deny yourself something. You can take on a new project -- volunteering to help deliver meals to elderly, helping children's literacy program at the library, or even learn something new for yourself... study a new language, read a great classic you've never read, stuff like that.

Sounded good to me!

• berylblue
    berylblue

I gave up Lent for Lent.

Beryl

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

LOL@Beryl!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well Robdar or fate or a combination brought my lent early, so as I gave up beer last weekend, I may as well stick with it. Let that also be an answer to anyone who imagines I am doing this for religious reasons; my 40 days can be anytime, just something to do for health and for myself.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Robyn,

I think the idea of lent is to give up something you really enjoy. And we all know of a certain activity that you are well known to wax poetic about. So how about giving up that for lent!

Dan, who is giving up that for lent, but not of his own volition

• Robdar
    Robdar
    And we all know of a certain activity that you are well known to wax poetic about. So how about giving up that for lent!

Dan, who is giving up that for lent, but not of his own volition

Dan,

You are one funny dude! Give it up for lent? Until recently, I haven't had any to give up. Why do you think I was writing so many poems about it?

Why are you giving "that" up for Lent? You've gotten my curiosity aroused.

Love,

Robyn

• eisenstein
    eisenstein

Robdar,

Nice topic and something for me to think seriously about, thanks for reminding me when Lent begins.

Raised as a JW I never gave it much thought about fasting or practicing Lent, (which I sometimes felt was sort of heathenistic). Although my father (absent mostly from my life) was a Catholic. I think the real meaning of fasting was lost as a witness, oh they suggested at times to have the "spirit of fasting" or "spirit of the sabbath" (like put more time in the field service around the time of the Memorial, etc.) but I have met some people who really take this serious and I admire them, my former co-worker is Catholic and she taught me alot about Lent and what she does.

And I agree, that I wouldn't fast to think that God would love me better...I would love myself better and probably develop more of an understanding for what Jesus went through.

I think fasting is a universal yet very personal undertaking and I would like to try it for my soul this year.

btw...were you at the apostafest...if so I missed seeing you on webcam. hope to meet you soon.

love eisenstein

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit