Canada may get a new government today

by Simon 64 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

The US elections suck up all the attention (and it's not even at the candidate selection stage!) but Canada actually has a national election today.

First results are starting to come in and so far it's all Liberal party.

I think it's time Harper and the conservatives got the boot. Last premiere from the Bush era. Time for a change.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Are "liberals" in Canada the same as liberals in the US?
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Sorry on behalf of the US. We do have a bad habit of assuming either everyone on the internet is American or everyone wants to hear everything about Americans.

I hope the liberals get in.

How late till all the votes are counted?

• Quarterback
    Quarterback
    Sorry, I don't discuss Politics or Religion
  • Listener
    Listener

Lol GT.

Unfortunately here in Australia a change of government doesn't result in much of a change overall these days.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Not quite but similar VI, the liberal party here is bit more open to taking on new ideas from a more open minded perspective, such as the regulation and the legalization of Marijuana .

The liberal leader in Canada is Justin Trudeau a young 43 year old, the son of the Pierre Trudeau who was the Prime Minster of Canada back in the late 60's and during the 70's .

If he wins the Prime Minster office this should stir up some things in this country politically.

I think people here have just gotten tired of Stephan Harper's political policies and inner government scandals, they weren't all bad but after a decade or so people are looking for a change now.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    village idiot: Are "liberals" in Canada the same as liberals in the US?

The Liberals sit just left of center on the political spectrum. The Progressive Conservatives are the right wing party and the NDP hold down the far left. Mixed in with those parties are various other smaller parties like the Green Party.

The NDP have never held the majority vote in Canada and the race is between the Liberals and PCs.

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think the parties map directly to the US equivalents. The center is in a different place.

Same for the UK. Even the right-wing party there is probably left of the Democrats in the US,

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    GreatTeacher: Sorry on behalf of the US. We do have a bad habit of assuming either everyone on the internet is American or everyone wants to hear everything about Americans.

Yeah...we have had the longest campaign ever in the history of Canadian federal politics and the rest of the world doen't even blink.

I made an attempt a while back by posting a link to one of the best campaign ads ever but it didn't even get one reply. I guess the US political smut and scandals take center stage:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5766712565694464/matt-masters-burgeners-clever-election-ad-takes-on-harper

GreatTeacher: I hope the liberals get in.
    How late till all the votes are counted?

The Liberals have taken the first 28 seats and are leading in the next 5. I am predicting a huge Liberal win overall. And also, it wouldn't surprise me if a record is shattered today. The best voter turnout that Canada can boast is way back in 1958 at 79.4%. I think that Canada will turn out for this election like never before to say No to Harper and his PC party.

The polls are open until 7:30 pm Pacific Time - when the polls close on the West Coast...about and hour and a half from now.

In the meantime,,,a live feed and update:

http://www.cbc.ca/includes/federalelection/dashboard/index.html

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Just got back from voting here in Ontario. I have never seen anything like it something is in the air tonight! At least here in Conservative Country. I can hardly wait......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit