Does anyone TRULY die?

by anti-absolutism 16 Replies latest jw friends

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

Brad,

Interesting post! I used to think that I had ALL of the answers. Puleeze!!!! I definitely don't feel that way now that I'm not a JW anymore. I think there are A LOT of things that we don't know and won't know until we pass on. Lots of things are possible and investigating them is very interesting.

• Navigator
    Navigator

Sara Annie

I have read Richard Bach's "Illusions". I was sitting in a Disciple of Christ sunday school one morning when the teacher read the preface from that book. It was as if someone reached out and grabbed me by the throat. I realized that something was reminding me of a profound truth I already knew but had momentarily forgotten. I went out and bought the book. It was a life altering experience for me. I've talked to others that have had similar experiences with that book. I've given away at leat a dozen copies of the book.

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH
    We will close our eyes for the last time here on this material plane and blink them open again in the next life as of the same instant.

I think it would be incredible to truly embrace such a belief as reality. But how does person become convinced of something like that? Is it a matter of scriptural interpretation? How much of this belief is based on solid evidence and how much on sentimental speculation? And please don't misunderstand, It's not my intent to belittle or undermine anyone's faith, but I would sincerely like to know if it's the result of enlightenment based on solid research or nothing more than religious credulity. I'll have to admit that my disillusionment with JWism has left me pretty much a cynic, as I believe it has a lot of others. But the fact is, I was, and millions of other people still are, totally convinced of many beautiful and wondrous things for which there never was any real basis. There's a great number of things I speculate about, but these days I'm very reluctant to embrace any idea as "truth" without some pretty solid support. So what do you think? Am I asking for too much?

• anti-absolutism
    anti-absolutism

MYSONJOSEPH....

I don't think you are asking too much? It is difficult for us to open our eyes after being in a mind-control group. Nothing is absolute in this human existence, and neither is the quote that I made from "The Power of Positive Thinking" or the one stating the blinking of the eye.

I think the biggest thing that I have learned since leaving is that we will never know it all, so the harder we try to convince ourselves that we do (like the dubs do) the further we are from true peace. It causes an inner turmoil that I can only explain is very evident from my experience IN and OUT of the Borg.

When I look at how beautiful and amazing the universe is, and even what science has proven, it makes more sense to me to that we are eternal creatures; a never ending energy.

Cheers.... Brad

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Very interesting post...makes me think back to the days when I was a kid, and my parents would always emphasize the need to please God so that I can "LIVE FOREVER." The idea of living forever on a paradise earth is still pleasant, but I always thought to myself, "If I die, how will I regret not living forever? I won't be aware of anything so it's not like I'll be lying in the ground wishing I were still alive so I could help everyone rebuild the whole earth." I wasn't very fond of the idea of having to do yard work for a thousand years - it was hard enough to get me to cut the grass once a week.

I don't remember a damn thing before I was born, so who really knows what happens? Maybe we had previous existences, maybe we didn't. I don't think death is something to worry about though - so many people have died through the years, it's obvious to me it's a process we all will go through at some point. Enjoy every day of your life and learn all you can because I think if we do go on to another life when we die, we will be influenced by our current experiences.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Navigator-

Illusions is one of my favorite gifts to give as well. The story had a profound effect on the way I view this world and this life, and I marvel at how wisdom comes in the most wonderfully unexpected forms. I still spend summer afternoons lying in the back field with my husband trying to make clouds dissappear...

To anyone else who just wants a good read, I again highly reccomend this book (Illusions by Richard Bach). It's not a theory, or a way of living, a religious tract, a self-help book, or a new "scripture". It's just a great story about a man who flies an airplane, meets another man, and learns a thing or two about himself and life in general along the way. I can't reccomend it highly enough!

• rem
    rem
    When I look at how beautiful and amazing the universe is, and even what science has proven, it makes more sense to me to that we are eternal creatures; a never ending energy.

There is a lot of anthropocentric thinking in this little corner of the universe.

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit