Our neighbors took our trash

by wednesday 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

I really get annoyed too when I clean a salmon and put the guts in the trash, the da*m flies come around thinking it's their province to inspect my discards. Golly, you'd think those dipterns would have a little more couth!

discussted caveman

• ballistic
    ballistic

The talk of shredding "credit card statements, financial records, bills". Don't you people keep this stuff???

Our law in the UK requires us to keep some things such as wage slips or employment records 7 years, and as I have worked in records management in previous jobs, I just have a habit of archiving this kind of information. No-ones finding it in my trash!!!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

There are stories of residents of New York City who gift wrap their garbage around Christmas and put it in their car with the door unlocked or the window down. Sure, enough, it vanishes!

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Well...when Hubby started getting sick in Sept. We did a major cleanup of the basement.Every Thursday nightI would start hauling pieces of wood..all kinds of metal..aluminum..tables.chairs..too numerous to mention. Stuff I really wanted but felt the need to dump it all. We practically emptied the basement. He did a lot of airplane hobby work and had a lot of tables for working and display. I had to take them all apart and cut them up to fit in the trash. I had lamps..end tables old coffee tables...coffee pots...toasters..containers.. We had a big load out every Thursday...the pickup would be Friday. .that's when they would pick up large collections. So many people would take stuff I started to put it out earlier so they could go through it ..They started to come regular!..I bet they were really disappointed when I was finished!.. The last thing I put out was a homemade windmill that my Uncle made for my Mom and Dad years ago. It was in bad need of a paint job. I hadn't been able to do it for the last 3 years although I kept telling myself I would. I gave up and set it out! Well I was driving down my street the other day and lo and behold..my neighbor had it in their front yard!..I was so glad to see someone using it. I love trash collectors...and am very careful about putting personal stuff in my cans..but I have never seen anyone actually go in the can..just stuff laying outside ..It doesn't bother me at all..matter of fact..I get insulted if no one picks it up!.... Nothing worse than rejected Trash!!!!!!(He He!) Snoozy.....

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

oops...sorry Wednesday...that was me!

GUILTY AS CHARGED!!

I have to admit, I have done that very same thing.

Here in Toronto, it's not uncommon whatsoever on trash/garbage nights, for people to come by and glean the curbside treasures. I have seen people with trucks, or little mini-flatbed trailers drive around and pick-up what others have tossed out. I guess one mans garbage is another mans gold.

I have found: TVs, radios, computer monitors (worked), Records (LPs...my favorite), 8-track tapes (yes, I still have an old one that works beautifully), chairs, flower pots (plastic/pottery), plants (poor things, I gave them to a good home), and some clothes.

Actually here, if you do put something out on the street, it's regarded a good thing if someone does come and pick it up, as it is a good way of recycling, as opposed to sending the items to the landfill.

I put out an old TV one night, within 30 minutes: gone. This was hours before the trash collectors were to even show up.

• avengers
    avengers

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Those darn trashpickers.

There are chili pickers, cotton pickers, trash pickers,,. Can anybody think of any other pickers?

lol.

• wednesday
    wednesday
    There are chili pickers, cotton pickers, trash pickers,,. Can anybody think of any other pickers?

lol.

well there are nose pickers

• qwerty
    qwerty

In Brooklyn Heights (did I spell that right?)

It is custom for residents to leave unwanted items on the pavement (even large furniture)on one day in the week. Anyone passing that sees an item they like, can then come along and pick it up.

I know from my visit to Bethel that this does happen. The Bethelites have a field day! There is some decent stuff too, leather chairs and settees for example.

Qwerty

• benext
    benext

I don't have a problem with somebody taking something I'm throwing out. If they have a use for it great. Someone has taken to moving my trash from in front of my home and placing it next door in front of an abandoned building. Once I called Sanitation to arrange for an old A/C to have the CFC removed. It needs to be put out the night before. The next day it had been moved next door. Strange.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

My mother is a trash monkey....her whole side of the family was.

Worst time was when her mother's brother (my great uncle) came from Chicago to visit (we lived just outside O'Hare) and he walked to the local grocery store about 3 blocks away. He came back with a huge roast....

Problem was it was spoiled and in the dumpster behind the store!! He wanted my mom to cook it...told her to cut off the bad pieces and by cooking she would kill the germs!!!!!

Needless to say I refused to eat it or ever eat at my uncle's when visiting.

My mother still will see something on the side of the road and stop to pick it up.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit