WT COMMENTS YOU WILL NOT HEAR AT THE 2-23-03 WT STUDY

by blondie 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

WT COMMENTS YOU WILL NOT HEAR AT THE 2-23-03 WT STUDY

JANUARY 15, 2003

DO YOU REALLY HAVE FAITH IN THE GOOD NEWS?

Mark 1:15

Mark 1 (CEV)

15 He said, "The time has come! God's kingdom will soon be here. Turn back to God and believe the good news!"

Mark 1 (WE)

15 `The time has come,' he said. `The kingdom of God is here. Stop your wrong ways, turn back to God and believe the good news.'

Some questions:

Is the kingdom of God the theme people hear when JWs come to their door?

Why the difference in the 2 translations: "God’s kingdom will soon be here." (CEV) and "The kingdom of God is here." (WE)

Why up until 1969 was Jesus portrayed without a beard by the WTS in their publications? (This issue has a picture of Jesus with a beard)

Why did the baptism questions change to "spirit-directed organization" rather than holy spirit?

Can one study and apply the Bible in full faith without using the WTS publications?

How can baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of our sins not require a judicial committee?

Introduction

Jesus preached "the kingdom of God has drawn near."

Yet JWs are given these sermons to use at the door in the February 2003 Kingdom Manifesto:

1) Some people wonder if there is a personal God.

2) Do you think God meant for humans, including children, to suffer from malnutrition?

3) How can a person be happy when he is being persecuted?

4) Wouldn’t you agree that despite life’s problems we still have reason to be thankful?

Each one of these four opening questions and followup information is missing 2 vital things: the mention of God’s kingdom and Jehovah’s name.

Do the WTS and JWs "really have faith in the good news" if they never mention it in their preaching activity?

"Righthearted ones" are mentioned as being the only people to respond. If people don’t respond, then do JWs rightly label them unrepentant goats?

Since 1985 "righthearted ones" have been baptized in the name of a spirit-directed organization not the holy spirit.

1970 Version

:

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for redemption have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to Jehovah God, to do his will henceforth as that will is revealed to you through Christ Jesus and through God = s Word as his holy spirit makes it plain?

1973 Version

:

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible

under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

1985 Version

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah = s Witnesses in association with God=s spirit-directed organization ?

At Acts 2:38 Peter says:

Acts 2 (CEV)
    38 Peter said, "Turn back to God! Be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, so that your sins will be forgiven. Then you will be given the Holy Spirit.

How is it then that judicial committees can decide if one is repentant or not and forgiven of one’s sins?

4/15/96 WT page 28
    There is no Scriptural basis for concluding that Christians in general, or even appointed elders in the congregations, have divine authority to forgive sins (unless they are acting in harmony with God’s thoughts in the Bible, huh?!).

Yet
    , what Jesus said to his disciples at John 20:23, quoted above, indicates that God granted the apostles special powers in this regard.

As in the case of the man in ancient Corinth, when a gross sinner refuses to repent, he has to be disfellowshipped. If he later repents and produces works befitting repentance, divine forgiveness is possible. (Acts 26:20) In such a situation, the Scriptures give the elders reason to believe that Jehovah has indeed forgiven the wrongdoer.

Hence, any forgiving or not forgiving on the part of the elders would be in the sense of Jesus’ words at Matthew 18:18 : "Truly I say to you men, Whatever things you may bind on earth will be things bound in heaven, and whatever things you may loose on earth will be things loosed in heaven." Their actions would simply reflect Jehovah’s view of matters as presented in the Bible.

"Make a dedication to God" but only through the WTS.

"Taken their stand on the side of God’s Kingdom" but only by associating with the FDS/WTS.

"Everything God promises in his Word is good as done" but not what the WTS says.

The presence of Christ began in 1874 later changed to 1914.

Armageddon would come in 1914, 1915, 1920, 1925, and 1975.

WE NEED FAITH!

Christians must have faith in order to inherit God’s promises.

Yes, JWs once again have that carrot put before them of everlasting life in heaven or on a paradise earth. Where is the goal of vindicating God’s sovereignty and sanctification of his name? Isn’t that where faith is most important?

We need to reject

MATERIALISM

Yes, once again this is brought to the fore.

We must believe that God is with us and that the counsel in his Word (translation: the WTS publications) really works.

The counsel on transplants really worked. Past to 1967 okay, 1967-1980 not okay, 1980 to present okay. Those who followed the counsel from 1967-1980 probably were most appreciative.

Faith is part of the fruitage of God’s holy spirit.

Yet if you were baptized from 1985 onward, you were baptized in the name of a spirit-directed organization not in the name of the holy spirit.

"The Father in heaven give holy spirit to those asking him" but only through the WTS.

FAITH IN GOD’S WORD (translation: WTS publications) VITAL

"Exercise faith in God, exercise faith also in me (Christ)" but through the WTS.

If we study and apply it in full faith that it provides the best counsel and direction available to us (translation: WTS publications).

Helpful scriptures (translation: WTS publications) may be brought to our attention by fellow believers or while studying the Bible.

Can we study the Bible and understand it without the WTS help?

10/1/94 WT page 8
    Even as Bible prophecy pointed forward to the Messiah, it also directs us to the close-knit body of anointed Christian Witnesses that now serve as the faithful and discreet slave. It helps us to understand the Word of God. All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah’s channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave . John 6:68.

Or we are guided by Jehovah’s holy spirit in some other way.

But not without going through the WTS.

FAITH AND SUSTENANCE

Elijah was fed by a lowly unclean bird and later by a lowly woman.

Based on these examples, the WTS says:

Faith in God’s Word gives us the assured expectation that Jehovah will care for our daily needs and will eventually make abundant provision for all who love him .

Yes, through lowly birds and women because congregations only help those who are deserving or worthy and a long-time worshippers in good standing.

7/15/98 WT page 24
    So it should not be necessary to have a special arrangement for those present to give money to cover lavish funeral expenses. If poor widows cannot meet necessary expenses, others in the congregation will no doubt be glad to assist. If such help is inadequate, the elders may arrange to provide material assistance for worthy ones .

1/15/91 WT page 26
    We can show consideration for widows by kind words of encouragement, by including them in our Christian activities and social gatherings, and by giving them material assistance if they are deserving and truly in need .

Organized to Accomplish Your Ministry pages 122-123

Paul explained how material assistance may be provided to deserving ones . True worship involves looking after faithful and loyal ones.

A situation may arise where it might become necessary for the congregation as a whole to consider providing some form of assistance to certain needy brothers and sisters who have a long history of faithful service.

Application of Bible principles will help us put bread on the table.

Being a good Christian worker will assure you getting a job before others.

FAITH HELPS US TO ENDURE GRIEF

Grief is natural. Even Jesus cried over Lazarus. Yet find the experience where a brother was praised for postponing his wife’s funeral so the elder’s school could be conducted.

FAITH STRENGTHENS THE DEPRESSED

Here it is in writing from the WTS:

God’s Word shows that even those who exercise faith may become victims of depression.

Yes, depression is not a lack of faith, unless Job, Nehemiah, and Peter were faithless.

But back again to the WTS stance that depression is a result of external events rather than physical causes like diabetes.

Instead of viewing them (serious problems) as one major plight, we may be able to resolve them one at a time by applying Bible principles (WTS filtered of course which may mean that going to a worldly counselor will be discouraged).

Balanced activity (less work and recreation and more ministry) and adequate rest (not sleeping during the meetings) may also be helpful.

One thing is sure: Faith in God and his Word (through the WTS) promotes spiritual well-being.

"Jehovah is giving support" not WTS and elders.

We should believe these assurances for they are found in God’s Word (translation: WTS publications).

FAITH AND OTHER TRIALS

Serious illness
    (don’t confuse with depression which the WTS does not consider an illness but a lack of balance and adequate rest).

Pray with those who are ill, but no miraculous healing to be requested (save that for Benny Hinn).

Jehovah’s support, as do our many fellow Christians who have grown old in God’s service (expecting never to die as promised by the WTS).

MAINTAIN FAITH IN GOD’S WORD (translation: WTS publications)

The spirit-begotten and their companions, highlights that the "great crowd" are second in time and importance with God according to the WTS. Have you ever thought that the 2 folds were the Jews, then the Gentiles but all spirit-begotten?

Even Jehovah himself would take me up

But the WTS, elders, and other JWs will walk on by.

Accept the Scriptures for what they truthfully are, the Word of God (but only as the WTS explains it).

Conclusion

This is longer than I expected but there are so many BS items to plow through. Please comment on anything I missed or an insight you had reading it on your own or as you read my comments. As a JW are you putting faith in a man or a man’s organization?

Blondie

• City Fan
    City Fan

Many thanks Blondie once again for your time and effort.

• City Fan
    City Fan

Every week or so something on this board jumps out at me and gets me thinking about things in a different way. That is what makes this board so valuable. A couple of sentences in your post just did this.

The spirit-begotten and their companions, highlights that the "great crowd" are second in time and importance with God according to the WTS. Have you ever thought that the 2 folds were the Jews, then the Gentiles but all spirit-begotten?

I honestly had never thought about the great crowd and other sheep in this way. It just shows that for every JW doctrine there is usually a more logical alternative. This gives me something else to research now.

Once again Blondie, many thanks.

• archangel01
    archangel01

Thanks Blondie......You have a heart of GLASS which the wts can never brake.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

You know, this made me think (as your posts normally do). I never ever could "prove" that God's Kingdom was the theme of the entire Bible. JWs spout that, but hardly ever talk about what the Kingdom is supposed to be about, except "What can it do for me?" Ask almost any JW to prove that God's Kingdom is the theme of the Bible, and I bet they can't do it.

• acsot
    acsot

Ah Blondie, ya dun it again!

I haven't had the stomach to peruse a Watchtower article for some time now, but your comments on how it's the elders who determine whether someone is repentant or not really hit home. What god&&&mn arrogance the WTS displays. And to think I swallowed this crap for so long.

Actually I guess I was "detaching" from the WTS mind-set/mind-meld a while back. A JW sister here at work was talking about friends of hers whose son had been disfellowshipped. The parents were devastated and didn't even know what the reason had been. I mean, it was something silly, maybe he went to a "worldly" nightclub on a Friday evening, and that was the extent of it. The JW says "I guess the elders could see something about him the rest of us couldn't, they must have been guided by the holy spirit to discern his heart intentions". I thought to myself: "I don't believe that for a second. How can she?" Thus began my process of disconnecting from the collective.

Anyway, it's my birthday on Sunday so I will need to celebrate by not attending the Watchtower. I will post a new Topic on this 'cause there's other (good) stuff to add about it.

Thanks Blondie.

• blondie
    blondie

City Fan, thanks. Actually, I lifted that idea right out of another post on JWD. It intrigued me and it is so reasonable.

Archangel01

, my heart has been broken in the past but is now mended with superglue. It is hard to determine what level of sensitivity to maintain and still protect your feelings.

Wolfgirl

, I can still do the JW explanation. But the Bible is all about the Messiah from Genesis 3:15 to Revelation. The WTS focuses on the kingdom and not the king.

Ascot,

my friend, high praise indeed. As to being DF’d for going to a nightclub, I would think there is more to it, like smoking, using drugs, immorality. Or that is one mean group of brothers. I have been to a disco with an elder’s daughter and nothing was ever done to us.

Blondie

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

Thanks Blondie...

You are one of my fav posters... I email all your posts about "coments you wont hear" to my brother ever Sunday night... To bad he always asks me whats my point...LOL

• blondie
    blondie

Rolling Rock, there was a time in my life I would have made the same comment as your brother, what's the point. It's when you have been at the end of the "point" so many times that my comments start to make sense. How many times can the elders say they "love you" and stab you or a loved one in the back with gossip that destroys your reputation and then when proved wrong just say, "we're all imperfect" rather than apologizing and mending your reputation. He will have his epiphany one day. Either that or he recognizes the evil and is party to it because he isn't personally hurt by it.

Blondie (I was blind but now I see)

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

BLONDIE ROCKS HARD, I have always maintained.......

Thanks blondie, for helping us to never forget how we are assaulted weekly by this stuff and sometimes don't even see it!

ESPECIALLY ABOUT DEPRESSION!!!!

I know for a fact that they do NOT view depression as a physical illness; I guess they just keep proving it for us.

UGH.

What a self righteous lot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit