A question for those of you who were raised in the cult

by siegswife 13 Replies latest jw friends

• siegswife
    siegswife

When I was a JW, I often found myself wishing that I would have been a JW from birth. That way I would've avoided many of the mistakes I'd made in my teenage years.

Now, after reading so many of your stories I've realized that many of you didn't really believe it when you were young. So I wonder, what did you think of people like me, who joined as an adult? Did you think we were whacked or just gullible?

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

I also became a witness as an adult. I think I had a weak moment in my life and it lasted around 15 years. OK, I'm a slow learner!

• Jade
    Jade

I was raised as a JW but my mom came in as an adult. I think she was looking for something to fill a void in her life and because her grandmother had scared the hell out of her with talk of burning forever. When I was still in the borg I used to think that people that came in as adults truly had "new light." Now I just think they were looking for something.

Jade

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I had lots of different opinions/emotions depending on different stages in my life.

Sometimes I was jealous because you got to have a life and figure out who you were without a JW stamp, and you actually did get to make the truth your own.

At one point it was envy. I figured you all must have gotten it/understood it better than I did.

Toward the end it did become pity. A sort of feeling that "damn, they snagged you didn't they?"

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Oh yes, I forgot joy. I used to be giddy when the new ones would step out of the wicked world and become one of my new brothers or sisters...

What a load of hooey...it makes me want to dry heave...

• ring
    ring

[quote]When I was a JW, I often found myself wishing that I would have been a JW from birth. [/quote]

Being raised as a JW, it was quite the opposite for myself. I used to wish on end that i hadnt been born into that religion but had found it later in life, that way as a child/teenager I would have been allowed to have a life outside of the org, do the things kids do, and not have spent my childhood 'singled out' shunning the outside world.

[quote]So I wonder, what did you think of people like me, who joined as an adult? Did you think we were whacked or just gullible?[/quote]

Believing that armagedden was right around the corner for most of my life, I would have thought the JW's saved you just in the nick of time

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

I made the same mistakes that alot of non-JW teenagers make, and I was born into the cult. I was just a little older (nineteen) when I started making bad choices. The biggest mistake was not going to college right out of high school. Now that I'm out, I can't understand anyone choosing to be a JW, but when I was in, I wondered what logical person wouldn't be a JW.

Hi Ring!!!! I haven't lamped you in months!

Tiffany

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Siegswife. I was raised in the borg. However being under such tight control, ( something like trying to keep a coil spring compressed ), once my friends and I became young teenagers, we lived a secret double life.

As a group we did a lot of things that were wrong, even illegal, some cases the police being involved.

We did things, that I wouldn't even share with my parents, who are now out, because I am ashamed still.

But we always managed to stay out of trouble with the cong, because we were reg. in service, gave good talks in the MS etc. Of course having an uncle who was the City Oveerseer, didn't hurt any ! LOL.

I think that is why many when they leave, go totally opposite to their former ways, because they were never allowed to sample freedom.

So to answer your question, I think kids raised in the borg, are pretty well doomed. People who were raised outside the cong, and convert to JWism in later years, are more balanced IMHO.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I was raised as a witness, and hated it. But I just didn't have the choice. I would not have been a kid who went "off the deep end" if I were not a witness. I would have been just fine. It is not like I was totally sheltered as a witness and didn't know what was going on.

For those who became witnesses later in life, I do believe that for each of them, the WTS filled some sort of void in their life. Not saying that is a bad thing, just something was lacking in their life, and this came along and filled it for awhile, perhaps forever for some.

Had I been introduced to this as an adult, there is no way in hell I would have joined under any circumstances.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Siegswife,I thought a lot were wacked,others gullable.Some joined just to keep peace with their mates,also wacked..I guess wacked wins..LOL!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit