The WatchTower conductor lied on stage

by Isambard Crater 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Isambard Crater
    Isambard Crater

On Sunday Morning in the WatchTower study, a "Study" who was their for the 1st time put his hand up and said; "I have a question. When the paragraph says give up everything, it doesn't really mean give up everything like the pearl merchant, does it, like be willing to lose my modest house, cheap car and other basics I own? I mean, that sounds a bit much".

The WatchTower Conductor said in response; "No, it's just a parable and it doesn't mean give up everything. It just means we must be willing to be like the pearl merchant, but that doesn't mean giving everything up. It's just about balance, not being excessive with big houses and fancy cars."

Erm, that was a lie, right?

• alanv
    alanv

Depends what the Watchtower actually said. If you can post the link or paste the paragraph on here we can give a view on it.

• freddo
    freddo

That study will hopefully "Make Sure of All Things" before he gets sucked in.

Is there any way you can anonymously post a printed sheet from jw.facts to his home?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Not necessarily a lie, when WT says in effect "give up everything" for (I'm assuming) the "pearl of high value" it basically means give up everything that is incompatible with being a JW. Or IOW anything that might limit your ability to be a fully functioning recruiting agent for WT.

• Listener
    Listener

I think IC is referring to the June 2017 Watchtower regarding the parable of the Pearl

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2017442?q=pearl&p=par

What is the lesson for us? The truth of God’s Kingdom is like that priceless pearl. If we love it as much as the merchant loved that pearl, we will be willing to give up everything in order to become and to remain one of the subjects of the Kingdom. (Read Mark 10:28-30.) Consider two individuals who did just that.
  • pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Watchtower June 2017 Study Edition. Page 10:

4. If we love God’s Kingdom as much as the merchant loved the pearl, what will we do?

4 What is the lesson for us? The truth of God’s Kingdom is like that priceless pearl. If we love it as much as the merchant loved that pearl, we will be willing to give up everything in order to become and to remain one of the subjects of the Kingdom. (Read Mark 10:28-30.) Consider two individuals who did just that.

This paragraph could be taken as meaning giving up everything thats non JW approved or sanctioned by the society. College, personal interests not related to Watchtower etc. And many JWs will have come to this conclusion in their heads no matter if the person on the platform confirms it or not. My bet is, this paragraph will be dug up some time in the future to remind us that JW.borg is more important than anything you may want (you selfish piece of dust you).

• Isambard Crater
    Isambard Crater

The paragraph you've all pasted into this thread is the one I was referring to, yes.

Personally, I also took "everything" literally meaning if it was a choice between your house and clothing vs. the JW org or kingdom, you'd have to be willing to give them up - which is what got under the skin of this study in attendance.

• cofty
    cofty

Jesus meant it literally. His disciples walked away from their wives, children, businesses and everything they owned in order to follow him.

Following Jesus did not mean reading the bible and singing praises. It meant physically FOLLOWING him around Galilee and Judea.

Based on the false promise that the end was coming within that generation it made sense in that context.

Now I means whatever you want it to mean. The bible is like a magic carpet that will take you anywhere you desire and allow you to believe you are right. No wonder early Christianity was so small and the modern version is so popular.

• deegee
    deegee

Wasn’t Jesus the one who told the parable of the pearl of great price?

What Jesus meant by this parable is evident by the way he and his disciples lived their lives – THEY GAVE UP EVERYTHING:

Matthew 6:19-21, 25-34; 7:21; 13:44-46; 19:21-30

Mark 8:36-37; 10: 13-25, 28 - 30

Luke 6:24-25; 9:23-24, 59 – 62; 12:22-34; 14:33; 18:28

Who wants to be poor like Jesus?

Apparently the WT study conductor is realizing that this is not sensible.

Christianity, like every other religion, is only popular to the point where it gives something to the adherents. When it asks something that seems unreasonable, then common survival sense kicks in. If Christians were to embrace the full message of Jesus they would have no money or a career, they would be sworn to poverty.

This message has not, for the most part, been overwhelmingly popular among people who call themselves Jesus’ followers. Christian denominations have instead opted to pick and choose from among the surviving words of Jesus, selecting the elements of his message that they find to be personally palatable.

The majority of believers are following the party line of their particular church and if it doesn’t suit them, they change churches. Each church leader has to not only attract new customers but also hang on to the ones s/he already has – tread cautiously less they walk away seems to be the policy.

There are no real Christians except for nuns, monks (and the Shakers), when it comes to these radical sayings of Jesus. No wonder people like Joel Osteen have become so popular:

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

It does mean give up everything. Literally. Even your life or the lives of your loved ones.

Have to work overtime to pay the rent/mortgage? Get rid of your house. Even if it is a modest one.

Have to work overtime to pay your car loan/car insurance? Get rid of your car.

Have to accept a blood transfusion to live? Die.

Have to allow your unconscious spouse or children to have a blood transfusion to live? Let them die.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit