What the heck is Marmite.

by El Kabong 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, Mak, guilty as charged. I also like Braunschweiger. I used to eat liverwurst more often in the past, having cut back quite a lot because of concerns about hormones fed to cattle accumulating in the livers.

Once on a bet I cheerfully ate a raw liver sandwich. Did I break one of Moses' laws?

(Big liver-eatin' grin - with sinews in me teeth)

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

LOL.....Rebel.....oh those marmite soldiers dipped in runny boiled eggs.....hmmmmmmm lovely! How could anyone possibly NOT love Marmite is beyond me, I go through at least 6 jars a day. Yummy!!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Ummm... I know what both Marmite and Vegemite are. Usually British folks take offense at Vegemite (an Australian product), and Australians take offense at Marmite (a British product).

Vegemite is a yeast type of product. Nasty brown stuff. Not bad actually, on toast. I developed a taste for it prior to a visit from my Aussie galpal over a year ago.

You should have seen her face, as I - proud that I could eat Vegemite - proceeded to dip my knife into the jar - and spread it generously on the toast.

She kinda went blubbered a bit - waved her hands in mid-air - and said "Nooooo! You don't eat it like that!" (I had no idea what she was talking about.)

She then proceeded to demonstrate for me. It turns out that you are supposed to put only a teeny little dab onto toast, and scrub the heck outta the toast - as you attempt to spread the Vegemite all over it.

I had learned to take it 'full-strength'. She DID say that there would be many an Aussie male that would be proud of me for eating it that strong.

How should _I_ know? <shrug>

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. Being proud to be trying something new, I had located Marmite locally and purchased it. Not cheap either. When she found out (she was still in Australia at this time), and promptly made me throw it out. Hence my earlier remarks. They both taste the same to me. <shrug>

• Mulan
    Mulan

Mak, it is DEFINITELY happy hour.

• Francois
    Francois

AHA! Cat's out of the bag. Englishman implied it's something like anchovies. In that case, I've gotta have some. I could eat a brick if I had anchovy paste to put on it. Therefore, ipso facto, you must pardon my porcupine and get me the name of a reseller in Savannah, GA

francois

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I've tasted both Marmite and Vegemite. They are similar, yeast-based extract. It is an acquired taste.

I eat it once or twice a week on toast. It has loads of B Vitamins, and you have to be shown how 'much' to put on. You cannot put it on like peanut butter, or else you'll be in for a wicked surprise.

I prefer Vegemite. But I have a soft spot for my Aussie colonialists .

I just realized something...off topic somewhat...in a few weeks, MAPLE SYRUP will be running..oh goodie!

• Debz
    Debz

There is rival between the English Marmite and the Aussie Vegemite..the truth is they are similair in taste anyways .......I like both ..my son though hates Marmite being a healthy strong young aussie male and refuses to eat the english counterpart.....the taste grows on ya!

• Ed
    Ed

To those who say Vegemite/Marmite is vile and disgusting, consider this: coffee is equally vile if consumed straight out of the jar with a spoon. The trick is to use it the right way, and in the right amounts.

(_8(1) mmmm..... vegemite....

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

The Vegemite web site - and song!

http://www.vegemite.com.au/singalong.asp?area=4

Be sure to listen to the song, at least 3 or 4 times - so you get it burned into your brain. <grin>

Regards,

Jim TX

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Jim: You're right. Now I can't get that song out of my head!!!!

Thanks for all the reply's. Now, I just GOT to try some of this stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit