What the heck is Marmite.

by El Kabong 22 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I saw a reply by Francois on another thread asking what the heck is Marmite. We Americans with our (a-hem) "refined tastes" really don't eat this stuff. Most Americans really never heard of the stuff. I for one never heard of it until I came to this forum and heard my English Brothers and Sisters talk about Marmite, and our Brothers and Sisters from Austrailia talk about Vegemite. (SP?)

So, for all us Americans who don't know what the heck Marmite is, Here is a web page devoted to the stuff.

I for one will be willing to try some. I just don't know where to get some in the States.

http://www.gty.org/~phil/marmite.htm

• Simon
    Simon

It is absolutely, and without a doubt the most vile substance that anyone would ever thing of eating.

Can you tell I don't like it?

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

So is it then like the Auzzies vegemite?

• Mulan
    Mulan

We actually have it in some stores here in the U.S. Princess bought some last year so we could try it. It is nasty and vile, as Simon said. I took it out so Mom could smell it last night, and she was truly repulsed. It looks and smells like beef boullion paste. The taste is just salty and nasty.

I put a VERY thin spread of it on some toast, when I tried it, and it was awful. I don't understand why anyone would ever eat it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Both Vegemite and marmite are hydrolysed yeast protein products. As Mulan said, it tastes kind of like strong and salty beef boullion. I actually like it, but I like beef boullion, chipped beef and nutritional yeast supplements.

I found it at Larry's Market in Seattle - it's kind of an enlightened new age supermarket. Very cosmopolitan, you know.

• kelpie
    kelpie

I will have you know that I think vegimite is the best!!!

A child starts their solid eating habits off by eating their first slice of bread with vegimite on it.. You have to make sure you get the balance between butter and vegimite right.

If you just stick your finger in and get a heap of it, it will taste disgusting!!! ....

it is high in vit. b and good for cooking as well...

Kelps (who loves her vegimite)

• Englishman
    Englishman

Oh dear oh dear.

Lord save me from those who want to actually enjoy Marmite eating. You don't eat Marmite 'cos you like it! You eat it for the experience it gives you. Like masturbation, it takes a while to grow on you.

OK. Now, first lesson is, you eat Marmite like you drink beer. Back of the tongue! Next, you only nibble a little bit whilst you enjoy a cup of tea at the same time. You love Marmite like you love a good wine, it's all about aftertaste and unusual sensations. Marmite is not about instant gratification, Marmite is a sensation for only the maturest of palates.

Hmm. Could it be that Marmite hating is a measure of our dysfunctionality?

Englishman. I love Marmite almost as much as I love anchovies.

• rebel
    rebel

I LOVE marmite. Not only do I eat it on toast, I drink it aswell. One heaped teaspoon in a cup of hot water....mmmmmm....yummy!

How can anyone not like it? Weren't you brought up on marmite soldiers?

xxR

• Makena1
    Makena1

From Mulan's and others description - Marmite does not sound like my cup of tea.

Reminds me of something I detested from childhood - Braunschweiger!!!

However, some folks find it very tastey:

http://web.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=recipe&m=recipe/knet_recipe_display&u1=keyword&u2=Braunschweiger%20&u3=** 2*5&wf=9&recipe_id=18016

Is it happy hour yet?

Mak

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB

Marmite,,,,Nectar from the gods,,,ok,yeast extract from the breweries,,,wonderfull stuff.

Cheers,

Rich.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit