JW Acumen & Education = NO VALUE IN THE REAL WORLD

by Black Man 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

Having been out of the cult for a few years now, I can finally sit back and accurately access the good, bad and the ugly, especially as it relates to education and having a sense of self-worth and realizing your potential. In my opinion, religion is a total crock, BUT at least in some religions there is at least some value that you can translate your experiences and education gained in such into the real world.

For example, the Mormons have their own accredited university where you can obtain a degree and you can actually put that down on your resume and use it in the real world. Even with their missionary work, you put in a couple years with that and they help to place you in the business world or you can take advantage of even more university education.

In other religions, there is a charitable aspect and built-in social causes that you can participate in that at least have some type of direct impact on the community. Again, some type of value that can translate into the real world.

The JWS??!! Nothing. When I was an active JW, I went through their pioneer school, MTS school, spent years at Bethel, and you know what?? I could not translate ANY of that to the real world. Remember there were talks and perhaps an article going around years ago, that being on the Theocratic Ministry was like being enrolled in a college course?? Or that reading the Watchtower and Awake magazines was akin to getting a university education?? I do and it was all B*LLS*IT!! What a joke!

One of the main problems with the JW religion, especially for generation-X aged persons like myself is that it was so insular and self-centered, that they never had the foresight to realize they could create at least some kind of value to justify all the wasted time spent by ACCREDITING their OWN schools and educational programs (since they discouraged going to college for so many years), actually doing REAL charity like having soup kitchens, activity centers for their youth (especially since they didn't allow them to engage in after school activities like playing organized sports), housing for their seniors, giving material supplies to the needy, etc. Everything was always centered on THEM, and not promoting the personal development, aptitudes, philanthropy and potential of their members or the community at large.

True happiness involves REALIZING YOUR OWN POTENTIAL, because its then that you can be of help to your families, community, and yes, even your religion. But JWs missed the memo on all of that.

When I reflect on how many of my former associates who I knew at Bethel or in missionary work have been unceremoniously laid off or "sent back to the field" to start all over again (most of them with no skills or education and in their mid-40's, 50's or early 60's), it becomes an even more cruel realization at the LACK OF VALUE experience fooling around with that cult really was.

I consider myself lucky in that I woke up in time (at almost age 40) a few years ago and was young enough to somewhat landed on my feet, but I have my days where I get indignant at the thought of how much time I wasted in that organization, from infancy to age 40.

That's why when I see JW's who want to ask me why I left and if I'm an apostate or not, I say - "no, I'm not an apostate, I'm simply RETIRED." My time wasted in that cult has EARNED ME THE RIGHT to leave on my own terms (which I did), without being branded or demonized. It has given me the right to refuse any label that they try to put on me now that I've left.

The JW experience is one that stunts personal growth and development and by extension your POTENTIAL, and that's what I tell people if they really want to delve into why I left. And that's the true travesty behind it. ALL RELIGIONS (at least in my book) sell pipe dreams and are a crock, but at least you can get some kind of miniscule tangible value to it. The JWS?? Not so much!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

IMO, that's one of the things that makes the JWs a cult, the fact that all the efforts people put into that organization serves no other purpose but their interest.

One of the things I realized very earlier when I was ready to start my fade was precisely the fact the the JWs take a very convenient and selfish position. They are "not part of the world" at the time of doing something for the community, but they are in the business of real estate, and use every possible resource that this world has to offer.

I find that disgusting, criticizing everything bad that happens in the world at the same time they do nothing to make it better with the excuse that this world isn't worth saving.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I have heard "brothers" expound on how going to the KH is like like getting a Harvard Degree the education is so good. Even when I was "in" I thought that was a joke, especial since usually they could barely speak in complete sentences. (of course elders all).

What you get from sitting in a meeting like the TMS that you cant ever graduate - nor be thought sufficiently to speak on your own at a door, is a false sense that you actually know something.

The whole JW experience leads people to this: The Dunning-Kruger Effect.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which relatively unskilled persons suffer illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The whole JW experience leads people to this: The Dunning-Kruger Effect.

What you get from sitting in a meeting like the TMS that you cant ever graduate - nor be thought sufficiently to speak on your own at a door, is a false sense that you actually know something.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which relatively unskilled persons suffer illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is.

When polled, 85% of persons responding believe they are "above average" in intelligence.

(I suppose that might be 100% for JWs.)

Doc

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Fantastic opening post! Well said indeed!

I agree and relate to all you wrote.

Oh let's remember the famous quote of ToMo3: "j'hovars people are tha thinkingest people on tha planet!"

Yes, he said that

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I remember hearing the quote that reading the religion's magazines was like getting a college education.

This was laughable enough back in the day when their writings were "deeper", but what about now? The skimpy tract-like pamphlets they have now are written for grade-school level. They couldn't make that brag now!

As far as I was concerned, them saying they gave an "education" was perhaps valid if compared to actual illiteracy. Which is like saying that hot dogs and potato chips is a good diet - when compared to actual starvation.

• Hecce
    Hecce

In all honesty, prior to 1990 when a face to face interview was a requirement the WT training was a plus; many employers were impressed with the ease of the JW candidate to communicate with others.

Today, you will get to a face interview when you are about to be hired. What will open the door for you, will be that little piece of paper. For that reason the majority of prominent elders are giving their children a College education and even "mother" is sending some of the privileged ones to get higher degrees.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Black Man - "...I'm not an apostate, I'm simply retired..."

I like this.

I may use it some day.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Remember there were talks and perhaps an article going around years ago, that being on the Theocratic Ministry was like being enrolled in a college course?? Or that reading the Watchtower and Awake magazines was akin to getting a university education??

I know it was so crazy - they only people who could really think that's true - where people who had NEVER gon to college or university.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's so true, all that time we spent bored to tears at the meetings was totally wasted. You might say the ministry gives you some experience in dealing with the public, but these days you never really get to talk to anybody, so that doesn't hold true. At one time it did benefit them to a certain extent, because there was some growth and they made money on the literature, but that isn't even true anymore, it's all now just busy work, knocking at not at homes, driving around to return visits (that are rarely home) and standing by the literature carts. And the meeting are just repeating the same tired information, while most JWs still couldn't explain anything other than the most basic teachings.

It's all just a big waste. Think of what all those people could be doing with their time; doing real volunteer work or getting a real education.

To quote Donald Stump: Sad!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit