Why isn't demon possession a DF offense?

by rebel8 33 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Let me get this out of the way for you. Let's review: It's a cult!

Allrighty--got thinking about it in this thread. Isn't it odd that, of all things, that isn't on the list of DF offenses? Seriously.

People get DFd for getting raped if they don't scream. Is there an "I screamed" loophole for demon possession?

Does it require 2 witnesses?

What is the issue?

I think I'd like to be DFd for demon possession right now. How would I go about making that happen? I do not want to be considered DAd. No, I'd like them to kick me out for full-on, frothing at the mouth, used Tupperware owning, send the hogs off a cliff, old school demon possession.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Because, How can you tell the difference between Demon Possession and Mental Illness? Or Holy Spirit Possession?

Speaking in tongues? Visions? Those don't help! What is a JC to do?!

• wifibandit
  • rebel8
    rebel8
    I think I'm going to call up the local cong and tell them I'm a baptized dub who deliberately invited the demons into my body, I'm not repentant, I'm not going to DA myself and I'm going to start attending meetings.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Go to the meetings looking like this:

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Demon-possession is in the realm of Catholic practice. Despite the media's obsession with it, so-called "genuine" events are extremely rare in Church history. The most famous modern case (which inspired the book and film "The Exorcist") occurred more than half a century ago, in the 1940s in the United States. In my formal religious studies, it is the last major case with any recognition by the Church.

If such a thing were truly possible and such a demon-possession occurred among the Witnesses, it would cause the end of the JW religion. The reason? It would take a miracle to stop the event, and the miracle would be performed at the hands of Catholics.

Theologians are divided as to exactly why, but so-called genuine cases of demon interference seem to only get solved by Catholic exorcism. Yes, I know what you are thinking...here's a Jewish philologist stating that demons are real and only Catholics can control them, but that is not what I mean.

Reporting on what is known is that the very few supposedly genuine cases have only been successfully handled by the Catholic rite administered by proper ecclesial authority. You can believe it as a ruse invented by the Catholic Church or a lie or foolishness, but it is how things seem to work. I had to study such things in my academic studies, even investigate a haunted house as part of Demonology 101. I have no explanation for some things.

Like the case in the 1940s which began in a Lutheran household, when a case gets too hard to handle, regardless of the convictions of the "victim," in the end you call Rome. It happens among Protestants, the Orthodox, Jews, and even agnostics and a few cases I know that have involved non-religious folks: got bad juju, don't mess with it. Call a priest.

Again, in case I get misunderstood, I am not saying that such things as demons are real. I am reporting what happens in the real world with hauntings, reports of spirits, etc. that defy solution and seem to endanger people. The Catholic Church has psychologists, researchers, and of course trained priests to investigate things such as this, and frankly they are the only ones who seem at ready to deal with the unknown cases which don't fit common explanation.

If ever someone among the JWs got possessed, and I mean in ways that defied enough doctors and scientists that people started calling the local Catholic bishop, that would change a lot of minds really quick. The Church will not lightly accept any case either. If they get involved it is because explanations have failed and real physical danger exists.

If the exorcism is successful, then what? Disfellowship the person for being miraculously saved by events that disprove JW theology? Deny that something happened through the hands of a Catholic priest? Continue as a JW despite everything you saw with your own eyes?

For Catholics to determine actual possession that requires the rite of exorcism is more vigorous than a two witness rule, however. They employ scientific and medical methods to ensure that no other explanation exists before the rite is performed. Psychologists and other medical professionals weigh heavily in the investigation process.

As for myself, despite my personal convictions as a Jew, if ever these became defied by phenomenon of a nature that could not be explained and seemed like I was being attacked by devils, I wouldn't bother calling my neighborhood JW, the Pentecostals that live next door, or even my rabbi. If I started cursing G-d in Latin and spinning my head around, call a Catholic priest. Damn whatever I believe.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback
    I think that you can be Marked for this. They will put a big "C" on your shirt. For Casper the friendly ghost.
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Why not?

Because then Watchtower would have to start with its own higher-ups. One actually confessed to being under "DEMONICAL CONTROL"

Edited to add: He looked a little like that gal pictured above, too!

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Before someone asks, my reply was mainly tongue-in-cheek as I think the whole concept and hypothetical situation a bit silly.

Many Jews don't believe in devils and possession, and I don't think that disfellowshipping would be the first course for JWs to pursue should one of their members suddenly levitate in the middle of the weekly Watchtower study.

But on the slim chance that such things could present a clear danger, why people are interested in it is a bit illogical to me. I find radiation interesting but I am not exposing myself to it. Seeing adults parade around in black clothing using Em meters and filming things with special cameras in dark rooms is idiotic.

And if there is such a thing as demon possession, why the hell would anyone want to take chances? Totally silly either way,

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

But on the slim chance that such things could present a clear danger

Man Caleb, if that turned out to be true, it would change my whole freaking paradigm again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit