For those of you raise in the "truth" a Question

by obiwan 38 Replies latest jw friends

• obiwan
    obiwan

I myself was raised in the "truth" til I was df'd at the age of 21. I have often wondered that if I were allowed to grow up just as every other child did in the U.S. would I have been interested in looking at the organization and taking interest? Do any of you think and wonder the same thing?

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I have thought about that very thing before as well and I would have to say that, no, I would not take interest in the troof. To be honest, I dont think that I would have taken any interest in any Christian religion.

Wether it be Catholics, JW, or any other Christian Religion for that matter, it seems to be all a matter of control. I do not like being controled so I can only assume I wouldnt.

eric

P.S. 500TH POST BABY, YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

• onacruse
    onacruse

I can't imagine how braindead I would have had to have been to willingly join the WTS cult as an informed adult.

I can imagine how braindead I was to "willingly" stay in the WTS cult even though I was an informed adult.

Craig

• onacruse
    onacruse

"Braindead" being the operative word here.

(hehe...forgot, no "edit" function yet )

Craig

• freedom96
    freedom96

There is nothing in the Watchtower organization that would have appealed to me. I was raised in it, and left in my mid 20's.

• Dawn
    Dawn

I am pretty sure I would have not been interested in the JW's - now that I am out and have "deprogrammed" I look back and wonder how I could have been so blind as to not see this organization for what it is. It seems so completely obvious now.

My parents, on the other hand, having become JW's as adults, also studied with other high control groups previous to the JW's (7th day adventist for one) . I believe it was because they were unhappy and wanted everything "fixed" - high control groups do promise the "fix" to everything.

The real truth is that they still had all the problems - they just had something else besides themselves to blame them on - ie: if we go to more meetings, if we pioneer, if we leave it in Jehovah's hands. If they had only accepted that the problems were there and needed to be addressed now rather than in the new system I believe they would have been much happier.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Well, having been raised in the truth & df'd at 16 - I did think I wanted to take another "look-see" at the JW's later in life, which I did with "new eyes". What I learned made me realize that it was just another apocolyptic organization, with a lot of mis-guided idea's and unfounded doctrine. As well as the continual date fiasco's. How they cannot see that with their continuous "rules & regulations" and putting ever so much more burden on their followers is beyond me - Jesus said their "yoke would be light" -yet the JW's are one of the most unhappy & burdened groups of people I have yet to encounter (save those few groups that ended up drinking the kool-aid).

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Honestly, that is a hard question...my first reaction was "well, maybe if they got to me right around high school or right after. I was never one to "fit in" so maybe I would have been a sucker for all of the "love" that they show to a new potential recruit" but then a millisecond later I thought..."but if I hadn't been a JW, would I have been such an outsider in school?" I doubt it.

I'm one of those people that it could have gone either way for. Obviously, after getting sooooo burned, I have become much more the skeptic and cynic.

Ern

• Mulan
    Mulan

I can vividly remember my father telling me that it was a good thing I was "raised in the truth" because I was so argumentative that I would have never given anyone at my door a chance. That comment came back to haunt me at age 50.

I think he was right too. I would never have listened to them.

• minimus
    minimus

I have said for years that if a Witness ever came knocking on my door, I would have become a DO NOT DO. I would have clearly but tactfully said' "I'm not interested and please don't come here again". If I got another Witness at my door thereafter, they would have been either threatened or humiliated...........Does that answer your question?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit