June 1,2001 WT Who Has Gods Backing?

by ISP 12 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

June15 WT contains some very helpful assistance in identifying those having Gods backing. Having read the article……I am no wiser! Well….no surprises there I guess! Feel free to answer up and make public declaration of your faith brothers! The section is scanned in for your additional enjoyment........it would be a shame to edit any out. I added some comments in bold at the end of each paragraph to help the study along. They are by no means meant to cover all points and you are free to bring out your own. I hope you can make this encouraging to all especially lurkers or those coming to our discussion for the first time by your joyful participation.

Identifying Marks of Those Having God's Backing
    7 They base their teachings on the Bible. Jesus said: "What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me. If anyone desires to do His will, he will know concerning the teaching whether it is from God or I speak of my own originality." And also: "He that is from God listens to the sayings of God." (John 7:16, 17; 8:47) Logically, to enjoy God's backing, one must teach only what God reveals in his Word and reject teachings based on human wisdom or tradition.-Isaiah 29: 13; Matthew 15:3-9; Colossians 2:8.
    Can't be the WTS. I guess they did finally reject the 'human wisdom' of 1925, Beth-Sarim, 1975, Generation, etc. but what else next? They are so fond of their 'human wisdom and traditions'.

8 They use and publicize God's name, Jehovah. Isaiah foretold: "In that day you will certainly say: 'Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make men-lion that his name is put on high. Make melody to Jehovah, for he has done surpassingly. This is made known in all the earth."' (Isaiah 12:4, 5) Jesus taught his followers to pray:
    "Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified." (Matthew 6:9) Therefore, whetherJew or non-Jew, Christians were to serve as "a people for [God's] name." (Acts 15:14) God is obviously pleased to back those who are proud to be "a people for his name.~~
    This is wishful thinking. Because they claim the name as God's they assume God backs them without any objective evidence that God actually does so. Mere use of the name could never be enough and certainly there is no evidence that the WTS are blessed by God in anything they do.

9 They reflect God's joyful personality. As author of "good news," Jehovah is "the happy God." (1 Timothy 1:11) So how could his worshipers be unhappy or persistently pessimistic? Despite world distress and personal problems, true Christians maintain a joyful spirit because they regularly feast on rich spiritual food. Isaiah contrasts them with those practicing false religion: "This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said: 'Look! My own servants will eat, but you yourselves will go hungry. Look! My own servants will drink, but you yourselves will go thirsty. Look! My own servants will rejoice, but you yourselves will suffer shame. Look! My own servants will cry out joyfully because of the good condition of the heart, but you will make outcries because of the pain of heart and you will howl because of sheer breakdown of spirit.'"-Isaiah 65:13,14.
    Funny how I know so many JW's who are depressed, stressed and are under medication including elders. I also know 2 that tragically took their own lives. Those who 'cry out joyfully' are those who are left, in my observation!.

10 They base their conduct and their decisions on Bible principles. "Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding," the writer of Proverbs advises us, "in all your ways take notice of him, and he himself will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5, 6) God backs those who look to him for direction rather than to the contradictory theories of humans who ignore godly wisdom. To the extent that a person is willing to pattern his life after God's Word, he will avoid having to learn by trial and error.-Psalm 119:33; 1 Corinthians 1:19-21.
    Another correct type statement-but one that the WTS could not honestly claim-and doesn't here!. The WTS have learnt 'by trial and error' but they say it is the light that gets brighter!

11 They are organized in the manner of the first-century Christian congregation. Jesus set out the principle: "Do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your teacher, whereas all you are brothers. Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. Neither be called 'leaders,' for your Leader is one, the Christ. But the greatest one among you must be your minister." (Matthew 23:8-11) A congregation of brothers precludes having a proud clergy class that honors itself with high-sounding titles and elevates itself above a laity. (Job 32:21, 22) Those shepherding the flock of God are told to do so "not under compulsion, but willingly; neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly; neither as lording it over those who are God's inheritance, but becoming examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:2, 3) Genuine Christian shepherds refrain from trying to make themselves masters over the faith of others. As fellow workers in God's service, they simply strive to set a fine example.-2 Corinthians 1:24.
    More garbage! The WTS has a host of 'high-sounding titles'i.e. circuit overseer, district overseer, etc that rank with the clergy's bishops etc. How helpful the elders are! 'They simply strive to set a fine example'……like they did with Ray Franz and local/recent example of Simon! Yeah right!

12 They are submissive to human governments and yet remain neutraL He who fails to be "in subjection to the superior authorities" cannot expect to have God's backing. Why? Because "the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God." (Romans 13:1, 2) However, Jesus recognized the possibility of a conflict of interests when he said: "Pay back Caesar's things to Caesar, but God's things to God." (Mark 12:17) Those desiring to have God's backing must "keep on.. . seeking first the kingdom [of God] and his righteousness," while at the same time obeying the laws of the land that are compatible with their higher responsibilities to God. (Matthew 6:33; Acts 5:29) Jesus stressed neutrality when he said of his disciples: "They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world." He later added: "My kingdom is no part of this world."-John 17:16; 18:36.
    Can't be the WTS who didn't quite pay taxes to the French! Not quite like Jesus *** Rbi8 Matthew 17:24-27***24 After they arrived in Ca·per'na·um the men collecting the two drachmas [tax] approached Peter and said: "Does YOUR teacher not pay the two drachmas [tax]?" 25 He said: "Yes." However, when he entered the house Jesus got ahead of him by saying: "What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth receive duties or head tax? From their sons or from the strangers?" 26 When he said: "From the strangers," Jesus said to him: "Really, then, the sons are tax-free. 27 But that we do not cause them to stumble, you go to the sea, cast a fishhook, and take the first fish coming up and, when you open its mouth, you will find a stater coin. Take that and give it to them for me and you."

There again the fish stocks in the North Atlantic are depleted enough!
    The donation arrangement was a handy way of avoiding tax by getting the publishers to give 'donations' for the literature and also ask the public for a contribution also!

13 They are impartial in working ~what is good toward alL" (Galatians 6:10) Christian love knows no partiality; accepting all people regardless of their skin color, economic or educational status, nationality, or language. The working of what is good toward all and especially toward those related to them in the faith helps to identify those having God's backing. Jesus said: "By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves."-John 13:35; Acts 10:34, 35.
    They have no humanitarian programs. They rely on a number of kind ones in the hall to show charity to others without ever put their hand in their corporate pocket.

14 They are willing to suffer persecution for doing God's will. Jesus forewarned his followers: "If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you also; if they have observed my word, they will observe yours also." (John 15:20; Matthew 5:11, 12; 2 Timothy 3:12) Those having God's backing have always been unpopular, as was Noah, who condemned the world through his faith. (Hebrews 11:7) Today, those desiring God's backing dare not water down God's word or compromise godly principles so as to avoid persecution. As long as they faithfully serve God, they know that people will be "puzzled and go on speaking abusively" of them.-1 Peter 2:12; 3:16; 4:4.
    Excuse me weren't some 'godly principles' watered down in Mexico and Bulgaria so as to avoid persecution? People are generally 'puzzled' and go on 'speaking abusively' of them because of the utter crap they come out with, more than anything else!

ISP

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

Re: paragraph 8 regarding God's name. There are several web sites that would dispute that. I've checked them out and was quite puzzled after pondering over some of the info contained there. According to www.eliyah.com (my favorite) using the name Jehovah is actually very dishonoring the Creator. I printed out some of the info and gave to our P.O., he didn't have much to say about it, just kind of glazed over it. Anyway, if anyone is interested it is a very enlightening web site IMHO.

• Francois
    Francois

The god that can be named is not the eternal God.

- Lao Tzu

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

OB..see the aid book page 884 I think..it talks bout when the name was first used

1200 or so

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

the name was whispered only once a year in the holiest of holies by the high priest,

• Jimmer
    Jimmer

I had not read any substantial amount of WBTS material for a long time until I just read this. Now I know why.
    Anyone got a barf bag?

• Tina
    Tina

Hi,
    Thanks for posting this. I got mine in the mail,but haven't bothered to glance at it. I've gotten my nonsense and bs quotient for the week already,(smile) Tina

• dmouse
    dmouse

The magazine lays down eight identifying characteristics which supposedly support the claim that they, and only they, have God’s backing. Based on Jesus’ comment “by their fruits you will recognise them”, the article lists the proofs, or ‘fruits’ that identify the true religion:

1. They base their teachings on the bible.
    2. They use and publicize God’s name, Jehovah.
    3. They reflect God’s joyful personality.
    4. They base their conduct and their decisions on bible principles.
    5. They are organised in the manner of the first-century Christian congregation.
    6. They are submissive to human governments and yet remain neutral.
    7. They are impartial in working “what is good towards all.”
    8. They are willing to suffer persecution for doing God’s will.

The first point that I would like to make is: WHO decides which fruits are the important identifying characteristics? Any religion could present entirely different ‘proofs’ which would be just as valid scripturally.
    Some of these ‘fruits’ rely on an interpretation of the bible peculiar to Jehovah’s Witnesses, for example the issue of neutrality. Some of the fruits are generic, that is, they apply to most Christian religions, for example basing their teachings on the bible.

1. They base their teachings on the bible.
    All Christian religions say the same. One interpretation is as valid as another. Has the Society never taught anything scripturally incorrect? Might the Society be teaching anything scripturally incorrect now?

2. They use and publicize God’s name, Jehovah.
    The following encyclopedias consider the name "JEHOVAH" to be FALSE: Merits Student Enc.; Encyclopedia Americana; The Jewish Enc.; Encyclopedia International, The Interpreters Dictionary of the Bible; The New Catholic Enc.; The Universal Jewish enc., Encyclopaedia Britannica etc.
    J.W.'s own "Aid" book admits on pages 884 & 885 that "Jehovah" originated with a Catholic monk about 700 years ago! What is the correct spelling of God’s proper name; “Yahweh” or “Jehovah”? If Jehovah’s Witnesses maintain that “Yahweh” is more proper, why do they misspell it “Jehovah”? If the name of God is so important, and you are going to use it, then should you not only pronounce it correctly, but spell it correctly too?

3. They reflect God’s joyful personality.
    Don’t make me laugh, more JWs suffer depression than any other similar group. They are the most miserable bunch of moaners you could ever wish to meet.

4. They base their conduct and their decisions on bible principles.
    All Christian religions say the same. JWs take it a step further and base their conduct and decisions on the opinion of the ruling few (The GB).

5. They are organised in the manner of the first-century Christian congregation.
    So what? Besides, what are the Governing Body if not a ‘proud clergy class that honours itself with high sounding titles and elevates itself above a laity.’? (Their words, see paragraph 11).

6. They are submissive to human governments and yet remain neutral.
    It’s only their brains that remain in neutral. It could be argued that ‘paying back Caesar’s things’ meant that we go along with the system as far as it goes, which includes helping to decide who gets voted in. Again, you read your bible and you makes your choice. Both choices are equally valid.

7. They are impartial in working “what is good towards all.”
    No they’re not, relief programs after a disaster are invariably aimed at the brothers, help to outsiders in coincidental. As a young JW I was always discouraged from providing money to charities in case it was run by a church! Just think of all the help that JWs COULD have given if it weren’t for the ‘Armageddon will solve all the problems soon’ stagnation of thought and action.

8. They are willing to suffer persecution for doing God’s will.
    True, not only willing but some positively seek it out! Like many cults, JWs, mistake a general disdain for stupid beliefs and resulting ‘persecution’ as proof of God’s blessing. If I said the world was flat I would be persecuted, but it doesn’t mean I’m right.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi-

The JWs are great at circular reasoning.

I once had a discussion with a JW family member. She told me that the reason she was a JW is because only the JWs teach the Bible correctly. When I asked her if she believed that one could come to an understanding of God's purposes by reading the Bible alone...she told me no. It made me wonder, if she does not believe that one can understand the Bible without help from some religious authority, then how can she tell if the JWs are really teaching the Bible correctly?

Jeff S.

• JT
    JT

dmouse

you are KICKING "ASH" (notice the slight of hand on the use of NON-profanity)

GREAT POST WELL PUT INDEED

JAMES

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit