Governing Body Exit Doors

by Skimmer 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Consider the exit doors for the governing body.

We know that there was no authoritative governing body before 1976, so I will limit the scope of this thought to the time since then. How do members leave the governing body?

Exit door number one: death; taken by most.

Exit door number two: disgrace; taken by a couple.

Exit door number three: triumph; taken by Raymond Franz.

Has it ever been the case where a governing body member has left because of senility? I ask this as for a good percentage of geriatric folk are prone to intellectual deficit. Also, there have been reports that a number of members were kept on in spite of obvious difficulty with cognitive processing. Perhaps some readers here who had eyewitness observations of governing body members at Bethel could contribute their experiences. If a governing body member doesn't travel, doesn't do field service, and doesn't give public talks all due to dementia, isn't it time for him to step down?

I suspect that there is no mechanism for review for age-related mental impairment. If this is the case, does the governing body retain non-functioning members just because it doesn't want to hurt their feelings? Are they retained because they tend to vote conservatively? Do those members who are not yet afflicted with mental poverty also want a comfortable retirement in spite of senility and so don't want to rock the boat?

Since the reorganization of last year, I think this question is also on the minds of the directors of the Watchtower Society corporations. What will they do when they get irrational or unimplementable "suggestions" from the governing body? Will the function of the governing body revert to the days before 1976 when some (today, all) of the members had no input over the actions of the corporations?

Ray Franz let us know that there is a secret book called something like _Governing Body Procedures Manual_ and that he had to turn in his copy when he left. Just like an elder who leaves has to turn in his copy of the _Flock_ book. I'm sure a lot of people would like to see the GB manual, but the governing body's addiction to secrecy makes it unlikely that the book will ever see the light of day. Perhaps the book has some more information on exit doors.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

"Has it ever been the case where a governing body member has left because of senility? "

Hell no, that's when they get put on the writing staff !

HAHAHA man I am sooo bad today!!! whoohoo!

Venice

• AcapulcoGold
    AcapulcoGold

The Governing Body Manual - what a freakout skimmer ag.

• RR
    RR

I remember towards the end of his life, at the disreict conventions at Yankee Stadium, they would bring old Freddie up on stage to conclude the convention in prayer, the guy was so senile, he dribbled on and on in his prayer, repeating the same phrase over and over again, for half hour. When he finished everyone clapped. I thought how pitiful, bringing this man on stage like some relic for all to see and hear. By then he was blind and needed a guide to lead him.

• Moxy
    Moxy

i had always assumed that they are simply shielded from making too many real decisions when they become mentally shaky. still, a vote is a vote. if decisions really come down to a 2/3 majority vote then all hold the same power regardless of age. im sure things arent as simple as that in practice tho.

towards the end, it would always be said of fred franz that, tho blind, he had memorized practically the entire bible and didnt need his eysight. he was still sharp as a tack, and of course, fluent in hebrew in greek.

mox

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Given the decisions coming out of the GB I almost thought senility was a prerequisite (Ray Franz excepted, that's why he exited, stage left).

Yeru, forgetful but not yet senile

YERUSALYIM

There is more of heaven and earth than is dreamt of in your philosphy, Horatio.
    Shakespere: Hamlet

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

I wondered since Swingle was the head money man up till 2 years ago...if maybe he got a accelerated ride to heaven.........he held the postion for over 30 years.......

since there are all these NEW corps and the GB has nothing to do with them.."officiallY".....what happens if the old fellas dont agree with the new fellas,..........and threaten to open there traps. what do they have to live for?

• nojw86
    nojw86

Being the GB are really up there they have much more medical problems, and need to be seen more by a doctor, given more meds to fuction, i would like to be a fly on those walls and see how many operations they might have had, and if indeed they took the hush hush blood transfusion. I'm sure they have had the old Mari i want weed in some form lol....afterall how is it we get all this new light from the GB? LOl nojw

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

:::::::::he dribbled on and on in his prayer, repeating the same phrase over and over again, for half hour.

That was a pretty well standard prayer where I came from!!!! But thinking about it, premature senility goes hand in hand with giving up rational thought.

Marilyn

• crossroads
    crossroads

Moxy you are being sarcastic about franz and the fluent
    in hebrew and greek remark? RIGHT
    According to court documents he wasn't fluent in
    hebrew when he was in his prime.
    As for greek he studied for TWO years.
    You were being sarcastic-right

Share this

Google+
Pinterest