What about the United Nations?

by Luthien39 19 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    if the US indeed attacks iraq without UN mandate against the opposition of 3 security council members than the days for the UN are over. no other nation will abide to the rules anymore.

If this comes true then here's one ex-JW who will be breathing a mighty sigh of relief. The Daniel's Prophecy/March of World Powers stuff was one of the issues that always made me say to myself "well, despite of how f*cked up this whole JW thing is, at least they got that part right".

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

SF, thanks. Oh, that email of mine was inadvertantly removed by my server, it will be hooked up sometime Monday. That's the type of service I get for paying a year in advance. I hope others view your suggested sites.

Guest 77

• avengers
    avengers

SF.

• Realist
    Realist

dantheman,

the UN never was a powerful organization.

it was created to put the mask of democracy over the actions taken by the winners of WWII.

this is the first time that the western world doesn't just blindly follow the US (despite the usual scare tactics). that the US disregards the worlds opinion showes just how rediculous the whole UN is and always was.

• sf
    sf

Very sweet. Thank you Andy! Made my day more glorious.

sKally...waggin'

• sf
    sf

Oh, by the by:

American Leaders Speak: Portrait Captions
    ... (Reproduction number: LC-USA7-25977). Henry Cabot Lodge [Lodge, Sen.
    Henry Cabot] (1850-1924). ... Photograph, 1921. John D. Rockefeller, Jr. ...
    memory.loc.gov/ammem/nfhtml/nfspeak.html - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

[[ Henry Cabot Lodge
    [Lodge, Sen. Henry Cabot] (1850-1924). Pirie MacDonald (dates unknown). Photograph, 1916. (Reproduction number: LC-USZ62-36185). ]] :

TEXT

"League of Nations"

I am as anxious as any human being can be to have the United States render every possible service to the civilization and the peace of mankind. But I am certain that we can do it best by not putting ourselves in leading strings, or subjecting our policies and our sovereignty to other nations. The independence of the United States is not only more precious to ourselves, but to the world, than any single possession.

Look at the United States today. We have made mistakes in the past; we have had shortcomings. We shall make mistakes in the future and fall short of our own best hopes. But nonetheless, is there any country today on the face of the earth which can compare with this in ordered liberty, in peace, and in the largest freedom? I feel that I can say this without being accused of undue boastfulness, for it is a simple fact. And in taking on these obligations, all that we do is in the spirit of unselfishness, and it is a desire for the good of mankind. But it is well to remember that we are dealing with nations, every one of which has a direct individual interest to serve, and there is grave danger in an unshared idealism. Contrast the United States with any country on the face of the earth today and ask yourself whether the situation of the United States is not the best to be found.

I will go as far as anyone in world service that the first step to world service is the maintenance of the United States. You may call me selfish if you will, conservative or reactionary, or use any other harsh adjective you see fit to apply. But an American I was born, an American I've remained all my life. I can never be anything else but an American, and I must think of the United States first. And when I think of the United States first in an arrangement like this, I am thinking of what is best for the world. For if the United States fails, the best hopes of mankind fail with it. I have never had but one allegiance; I cannot divide it now. I have loved but one flag and I cannot share that devotion and give affection to the mongrel banner invented for a league. Internationalism, illustrated by the Bolshevik and by the men to whom all countries are alike, provided they can make money out of them, is to me repulsive. National I must remain and in that way I, like all other Americans, can render the amplest service to the world.

The United States is the world's best hope, but if you fetter her in the interest through quarrels of other nations, if you tangle her in the intrigues of Europe, you will destroy her powerful good, and endanger her very existence. Leave her to march freely through the centuries to come, as in the years that have gone. Strong, generous, and confident, she has nobly served mankind. Beware how you trifle with your marvelous inheritance -- this great land of ordered liberty. For if we stumble and fall, freedom and civilization everywhere will go down in ruin.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Boy, the childhood disease of Nationalism is alive and well here amongst the elete who are secretly members of the John Birch Society. Roll on!

caveman

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Carmel, I didn't understand your post and to avoid any misunderstanding on my part, could you set me straight?

Guest 77

• DblOSmith
    DblOSmith

what was with the truth and the... Hatred for the UN? Could someone explain that to me. I never understood it.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Gumby you said, That is a lovely thought this man has......god is going to kill millions of people who are still in Organized religion.......even though they are sincere good people........and he is going to save the elect few who were smart enough to leave the churches

I probably should have elaborated more and although I do not know where this man got his teachings. He did not believe anyone would die at Armageddon.

He said those save would inherit the Kingdomsince you pointed out Revelation he is probably referring to the 144,000 ruling as Kings. Although he did not seem to have an exact number of how many saved. They were to be and are now The Foundation Of The Body Of Christs Church.

I dont know all his beliefs but the rest of the people would be in a learning state. I cant say what he believed after that as all I was doing was trying to get him to be interested in a tract I was offering.

His beliefs were more along the lines that God is a teacher not a destroyer.

Maybe I will meet him again. It sounds interesting to me.

Thankz for the reply.

Ciao 4 now,

U_R

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit