Max Larson's archived experience on tv-jw-org includes an AWKWARD statement

by Gilgamesh 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh

This isn't about anything sordid (or morbid, or reported that Knorr did).

It's just that I found an odd-sounding statement in the archived interview that appeared at about 31m20s in the December 2014 monthly tv.jw.org broadcast (or at 4m35s in the stand-alone Larson interview also on tv.jw.org). It seems to reveal an attitude that you'd think would be obsolete about the power of the anointed. In the attached image, as captioned by tv-jw-org, he said: "every overseer was anointed . . . I got to appreciate the depth of the anointed, the power they had."

It was interesting to me for another reason. I've heard Larson use the expression "This is the Kingdom" in the way we used to use the expression "This is the New World Society" back around the 1950's and 1960's. In fact, I thought I remembered him saying it in the same interview, which is why I just went back to listen to it. I doubt it was edited out, so I must have seen it elsewhere. But I've also heard him in person speak of the Society as if it was equal to the Kingdom.

I believe that this idea about the "power of the anointed" is also related to the way he saw Knorr as if he were a king ruling a kingdom on earth. In fact, I believe this attitude had a lot to do with Larson's quick rise to power when he took over for Knorr at the factory, when JFR died. After having the job for a year and a half, Knorr told Larson: "Max, I'll have to stay over at 124 and take care of the world . . . you take the factory."

After reminding of several episodes of a cartoon called, "Pinky and the Brain," it also reminded me of: “You men already have your fill, do you? You are rich already, are you? You have begun ruling as kings without us, have you?” (1 Cor. 4:8)

• Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh

"Pinky And The Brain" episodes were famous, of course, for exchanges like the following:

Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Pinky: "I think so, Brain... but how would we ever determine Sandra Bullock's shoe size?"

Brain: . . . [frustrated by Pinky's stupidity] . . .

and, later. . .

Pinky: Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?

Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    The Judge set the pattern, the rest have dutifully (and enthusiastically) followed...
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh
    When I watched the video it was hard to believe that anyone would call JFR, "Pappy." But Knorr called him "Pappy." I remember at Bethel, you sometimes heard Knorr referred to as "Pappy Knorr." I can't see how anyone would give either of them such a nickname based on their natural personalities. Seems like a nickname they wanted to be called.
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

When I watched the video it was hard to believe that anyone would call JFR, "Pappy." But Knorr called him "Pappy." I remember at Bethel, you sometimes heard Knorr referred to as "Pappy Knorr." I can't see how anyone would give either of them such a nickname based on their natural personalities. Seems like a nickname they wanted to be called.

Interestingly, some Catholics call the Pope "papa," eg "Papa Francis." So much for no hierarchy.

I get the feeling that Rutherford would be more aptly named "asshole" than "pappy."

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Did Rutherford ask Knorr, "Who's your daddy!?" Was Greenlees lurking? These questions keep me awake at night.

DD

• millie210
    millie210
    Didnt someone once say call no man father/"pappy"?
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh

millie21

It's just as odd that C.T.Russell published Watch Towers that referred to the William Miller as "Father Miller." (Miller was the author of the Great Disappointment of 1844 and the greatest prophetic failure in modern history.)

C.T.Russell also continued to maintain all along that 1844 was a date that fulfilled Bible prophecy. He never repudiated that idea even after 1914 came and went.

• blondie
    blondie

as captioned by tv-jw-org, he said: "every overseer was anointed . . . I got to appreciate the depth of the anointed, the power they had."

That was because until 1935, there were only anointed jws (at least up to a few years before that). Few if none felt that calling after 1935. So the anointed men that were qualified to be overseers and in the 1950's non-anointed men started being appointed. When I moved back to my family's area, the last anointed overseer had died and a non-anointed brother had been appointed.

I see it going that way again as the "anointed" even the second group dies off and more and more sisters do the administrative duties.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Gilgamesh - "I've also heard him in person speak of the Society as if it was equal to the Kingdom."

Not at all surprising for an organization who's stated more than once that it plans to govern the planet after the Apocalypse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit