by berylblue 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Brandy5
    Brandy5

Gopher,

Thank you so much, brandy here being a dork. That was like to obvious . lol

brandy

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Matters pertaining to mental health, more often than not, go askew, moreso with the JWs.

I have even heard during my dub-years, that mental illness was 'possession by Satan the devil' - yeah right!?

Sad to read your accounts, but I can tell you this, you're certainly not the first person to be subjected to such ignorances.

Getting away from there, I'll bet you've come a ways. I hope that you are seeking the help you require, and there's nothing to be ashamed about if you are living with any mental health issue. Working with it, and taking control of it, will prove you to be a strong and resourceful person. No elders required!

Best to you, always.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Leaving this abusive society is a step in the right direction towards health and happiness. I sincerely hope you find a network of kind people to help you through moments of anger and turmoil.

A gem for a gem of a lady (aquamarine beryl).

• acsot
    acsot

I'm so sorry (although unfortunately not surprised) to hear of what the elders did to you. Some "refuge" huh? (Isaiah 32).

Welcome to the board, this is much more welcoming than the Kingdom Hall.

jgnat: how did you get that pic on the post? I've tried doing that and I get blanks. I wanted to include a Valentine's Day card picture for beryl I copied from the net

Acsot (aka not-a-technie-yet)

• bay64me
    bay64me

That is really cruel Beryl. I am so sorry to hear about this. Yet I am not surprised in the slightest.

They appear to be incabable of displaying human empathy to even their own sort. Their main priority seems to be, not bringing reproach upon whatsisnames, name.

Bay64me.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I too am bipolar, i also have had similar experiences with the org. the shame and humilation they direct toward u.-it is beyond belief.. It has taken me a years of theapy to regain my self esttem . Bipolar is usually inherited, and treatable. It is a pity they live in the dark ages, when all forms of mental illness are considered signs of weakness. Actually persons with mental disorders are really strong people, they have to be.It is like any other chronic illness that a person must deal with on a hourly basis.But it is treatable.

I'm sorry your daughter must go through the added humilation the
    WTS brings to her life. She needs support , not alienation.

Edited by - wednesday on 14 February 2003 13:31:17

• Jesika
    Jesika

beryl,

Welcome to the board for starters.

I am sorry this is happening to you. Many here have similar experiences that you have mentioned. You will find alot of support here, and it is ok to be angry.

I hope your daughter knows that it is ok that she didn't scream. Everyone reacts to things different, and it is a normal reaction to not scream, you just freeze. Others may have screamed and it is normal for them to react that way too. I hope she has gone to counseling to work through such a horrible experience, and to mainly know it isn't her fault!!! The way she was treated by the elders was wrong, and she needs to know that (if she doesn't already).

I am glad you found us, and hope you stay around and let us become your new family. We support each other here, we don't always agree, but that is normal with so many different personalities in one place.

I send my love to you and your daughter.

Jesika

• christopherceo
    christopherceo

I clearly remember an article in the mid 90's titled "Would you extinguish a smoldering wick?" It was designed to help ones in counseling those with depression, mental illness, basic stress, etc. I cut it out and put it on my desk, because it reminded me of how opposite they actually acted. I've seen many smoldering wicks extinguished and I was one of them, they were heartless while at the same time trying to portray themselves as being compassionate, have to keep up a certain appearance you know. Be glad you are free.

ChristopherCEO

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Yes, and when my daughter was d/a for not screaming during a sexual assault, I was told we were lucky because in Israel they would have stoned her to death; she got off the hook easy.

Deuteronomy 22:25-26 (NWT): If, however, it is in the field that the man found the girl ... and the man grabbed hold of her and lay down with her, the man who lay down with her must also die by himself, and to the girl you must do nothing. The girl has committed no sin deserving of death.

Again I'll ask: are these people congenitally stupid or just irretrievably amoral? They go to all the trouble of "translating" their own bible, twisting words to fit their preconceived ideas and teachings and then they still can't get it right. I wonder if these elders would be quite so cavalier if they were ever unfortunate enough to experience the trauma of rape.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Berylblue's statement that her daughter was da's because she did not screm during a sexual assault just reinforces the cold, uncaring, heartless, and downright wrong course of action so often taken by elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit