by avishai 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• avishai
    avishai

http://www.midvalleysunday.com/display/inn_local/news03.txt

POSTED: Feb 08, 2003 - 23:15:54 PST

Abuse lawsuit brings forth new allegations

By Jennifer Rouse
    Mid-Valley Sunday

On the heels of a lawsuit filed against mid-valley Jehovah's Witnesses congregations in September, another man has come forward claiming his child was sexually abused by the same person.

In a lawsuit filed in September, Tyler C. Davidow, 24, asked for $3 million in damages in the suit, filed in Benton County Circuit Court. The suit is one of a series of mass filings against the Jehovah's Witnesses that a Texas law firm is planning.

Davidow claims a man named Troy Christian McKenzie, now 34, abused him in 1984. According to the suit, Davidow, McKenzie, and both boys' mothers were all Jehovah's Witnesses.

The Davidow suit claims that when Cathy Davidow learned of her son's abuse in 1985, she went to the elders of her church and they told her not to make a report to the police so they could deal with it internally. Elders never addressed the matter, the suit claims. Tyler and Cathy Davidow both declined to be interviewed.

A lawyer for the Watchtower Society said elders at the Albany and Corvallis Jehovah's Witnesses congregations had no idea children in their flock were being abused.

"The elders did not know about this and were not responsible for this," said Philip Brumley, general counsel for the Watchtower Society, which is the Jehovah's Witnesses headquarters in New York.

After Davidow's lawsuit was filed, John Muir, a former member of the Corvallis congregation, came forward, claiming that McKenzie also abused his son, Eli.

When Cathy Davidow reported her son's abuse to the elders, other parents were not informed of the allegations against McKenzie, Muir said. But Muir heard about the allegations from another church member. He also heard that Davidow was not the only boy who had been abused -- and that Muir's son was one of the victims.

Shocked, Muir went to the elders and asked them to tell him what they knew.

"When I asked for information I was told I didn't need to know. It would serve no purpose," he said.

Muir and his wife then began years of wondering how to deal with the situation.

"You tell me, how do you ask a 4-year-old what was done to him?" Muir said. "Does he even remember? Maybe he has buried it so far in his mind that he doesn't remember anything."

After living with the uncertainty for years, Muir finally talked about it with his son. Eli told his father that he had been abused but did not remember the incident very clearly.

Muir has contacted the Texas law firm handling the case against the Jehovah's Witnesses church, but at this point has not filed a suit of his own.

Eli is now 25, and Oregon law says that civil lawsuits for childhood abuse must be filed before the victim's 25th birthday. But John and Eli Muir decided to speak out anyway, to encourage others who may have been abused. Even if there is no legal action taken in their case, Muir thinks that what was done was wrong.

"That boy was allowed to continue to roam about the congregation," he said. "Other families had no knowledge that they had a child molester in their midst."

Muir is no longer a Jehovah's Witness. He said he was "disfellowshipped" from the church several years after the abuse incident, for an unrelated matter.

He knows the elders did not intend for children to be abused. But he thinks church policy failed miserably when it came to dealing with abuse.

"I would say in most cases they do a good job," he said. "But in this case not only did they do a bad job, but they themselves caused harm to the children. They left the children exposed to future harm."

Brumley, the Watchtower Society lawyer, said that the elders aren't to blame for acts committed by another person. He says McKenzie wasn't even an official congregation member, though he may have attended some meetings.

"To our knowledge, he was never a baptized Witness," Brumley said.

Kimberlee Norris, one of the Texas lawyers filing cases against Jehovah's Witnesses, contends that church policies create an opportunity for abuse to occur. One policy, she says, tells church members to report problems involving other believers to church leaders instead of police. Another requires two eyewitnesses to an incident before the accused person can be punished.

She claims that McKenzie abused Davidow while he was a teenager living in Oregon, didn't face any consequences for it, and went on to abuse again.

Norris provided court records showing McKenzie served time in Alaska for sexual abuse.

McKenzie was convicted of sexually abusing a young boy in Alaska in 1994. He was sentenced to three years in prison, but two and a half years of that was suspended. He was considered a good candidate for sex offender treatment, and was allowed to move to Oregon with the condition that he remain on probation and attend a sex offender treatment program.

In 1995 and in 1996, the Oregon Department of Corrections recommended that his probation be revoked. His sex offender treatment provider wrote a letter saying McKenzie "is a fixed predatory pedophile who is extremely dangerous in the community."

McKenzie admitted that he had attended Jehovah's Witnesses meetings, where he was in contact with many young males, without receiving permission from his probation officer or obtaining an approved chaperon for the meetings.

"This is especially significant in that McKenzie's admitted history is that he met victims in the past through Jehovah's Witnesses gatherings," a probation officer wrote.

McKenzie is currently serving probation in Anchorage and could not be located for comment.

No court dates have been set in the case.

In October, documents were seized from a storage unit in Philomath and placed in a sealed envelope at the Benton County Circuit Court. According to court records, the envelope contains journals and documents belonging to McKenzie that may contain evidence of sexual abuse.

Brumley said his clients will continue to dispute the allegations.

"While our hearts go out to Tyler for the suffering he may have endured, we are confident that neither Watchtower nor any of the local congregation elders are responsible for what he alleges happened," Brumley said.

• avishai
    avishai

This is an update of this story found here http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=38146&site=3

I can't even believe the audacity & sheer stupidity of thier attorneys statements. Probably damage control for the jw's still in. I'll comment on this later, Im too steamed right now.

Avishai

• AlanF
    AlanF

This piece is an excellent illustration of the way the Watchtower Society deliberately muddles issues to protect itself from the consequences of its vile actions.

Watchtower head lawyer Brumley's statements are stereotypically JW, in that they fail to address the actual allegations. Instead they carefully steer around the allegations in such a way as not to admit guilt, or declare innocence of the actual charges, but only make it appear that innocence is being claimed.

Note the actual allegations:

The Davidow suit claims that when Cathy Davidow learned of her son's abuse in 1985, she went to the elders of her church and they told her not to make a report to the police so they could deal with it internally. Elders never addressed the matter, the suit claims.

This is completely consistent with the testimony of a second complainant:

John Muir, a former member of the Corvallis congregation, came forward, claiming that McKenzie also abused his son, Eli.

When Cathy Davidow reported her son's abuse to the elders, other parents were not informed of the allegations against McKenzie, Muir said. But Muir heard about the allegations from another church member. He also heard that Davidow was not the only boy who had been abused -- and that Muir's son was one of the victims.

"When I asked for information I was told I didn't need to know. It would serve no purpose," he said.

Clearly, the elders did not deny Muir's charges. They only told him that it was none of his business. This strongly confirms the testimony of Tyler Davidow that his mother Cathy Davidow reported his abuse to the elders and they did nothing. Otherwise, the elders would have flat out denied to Muir that any abuse had taken place.

Now note lawyer Brumley's statements:

Brumley, the Watchtower Society lawyer, said that the elders aren't to blame for acts committed by another person.

A meaningless truism.

The point is not that the elders are to blame for the original abuse, but that they are to blame for failing to direct the parents of the abused to go to the police, and thus to remove the abuser from JW society and protect other children. The abuser, Troy McKenzie, was thus never censured and went on to abuse other JW and non-JW children until he was caught outside the JW system.

Next, Brumley attempts to take advantage of the public's ignorance of JW culture:

He says McKenzie wasn't even an official congregation member, though he may have attended some meetings.

From the facts presented in the story, it appears that both the molester McKenzie and the abuse victim Davidow were raised as JWs, since both of their mothers were JWs. McKenzie would have been a teenager of 15 and Davidow a small child of 5. In the normal course of things, because his mother was apparently a JW in good standing and young McKenzie attended meetings enough to pick out victims, McKenzie would have been looked upon just as a great many unbaptized children of JW parents are -- as unbaptized publishers, or at the very least, as members of the congregation by virtue of their parents' association.

Thus Brumley's statements are irrelevant. Even the most upstanding of JW children are not "official congregation members" until they get baptized, but they are certainly looked upon by the JW community as members. Brumley is attempting to confuse naive readers with his misleading statements.

JWs will certainly treat unbaptized teenagers as if they were disfellowshipped if they fall afoul of various Watchtower rules, and they will treat unbaptized teenagers who follow all JWs rules as if they were full, baptized congregation members in a social sense, so the claim that if a teenager is unbaptized, he or she is unrelated to the congregation for good or for bad is patently false.

Here is another non-sequitur:

Duh. No denial and no admittance of the charges. Brumley is walking a fine line here.

"While our hearts go out to Tyler for the suffering he may have endured, we are confident that neither Watchtower nor any of the local congregation elders are responsible for what he alleges happened," Brumley said.

Of course the Watchtower and local elders are not responsible for what happened! They didn't do the dirty deeds of abusing children!

But again this has nothing to do with the charge that the local elders, likely directed by the Watchtower's Service Department, failed to notify police about a child molester in their midst. It fails to acknowledge that elders -- supposedly "shepherds of the flock" -- failed to perform the most basic of civic duties, namely, to report crimes against innocent children.

Finally we see that lawyer Brumley has no problem lying to the press. The lies are obvious in view of the above-quoted statements from the article.

A lawyer for the Watchtower Society said elders at the Albany and Corvallis Jehovah's Witnesses congregations had no idea children in their flock were being abused.

"The elders did not know about this and were not responsible for this," said Philip Brumley, general counsel for the Watchtower Society, which is the Jehovah's Witnesses headquarters in New York.

The truth is more like this: Watchtower lawyers, including Phillip Brumley, advised the local elders to deny whatever they could, and claim not to remember everything they could. But their lies are revealed by the fact that they told John Muir that the abuse by McKenzie was none of his busimess.

Once again, Watchtower lawyers reveal themselves to be lying scumbags.

AlanF

Edited by - AlanF on 13 February 2003 4:22:1

• AlanF
    AlanF

Let's try again, as the board does not seem to allow proper editing of posts.

This piece is an excellent illustration of the way the Watchtower Society deliberately muddles issues to protect itself from the consequences of its vile actions.

Watchtower head lawyer Brumley's statements are stereotypically JW, in that they fail to address the actual allegations. Instead they carefully steer around the allegations in such a way as not to admit guilt, or declare innocence of the actual charges, but only make it appear that innocence is being claimed.

Note the actual allegations:

The Davidow suit claims that when Cathy Davidow learned of her son's abuse in 1985, she went to the elders of her church and they told her not to make a report to the police so they could deal with it internally. Elders never addressed the matter, the suit claims.

This is completely consistent with the testimony of a second complainant:

John Muir, a former member of the Corvallis congregation, came forward, claiming that McKenzie also abused his son, Eli.

Clearly, the elders did not deny Muir's charges. They only told him that it was none of his business. This strongly confirms the testimony of Tyler Davidow that his mother Cathy Davidow reported his abuse to the elders and they did nothing. Otherwise, the elders would have flat out denied to Muir that any abuse had taken place.

Now note lawyer Brumley's statements:

Brumley, the Watchtower Society lawyer, said that the elders aren't to blame for acts committed by another person.

A meaningless truism.

The point is not that the elders are to blame for the original abuse, but that they are to blame for failing to direct the parents of the abused to go to the police, and thus to remove the abuser from JW society and protect other children. The abuser, Troy McKenzie, was thus never censured and went on to abuse other JW and non-JW children until he was caught outside the JW system.

Next, Brumley attempts to take advantage of the public's ignorance of JW culture:

He says McKenzie wasn't even an official congregation member, though he may have attended some meetings.

From the facts presented in the story, it appears that both the molester McKenzie and the abuse victim Davidow were raised as JWs, since both of their mothers were JWs. McKenzie would have been a teenager of 15 and Davidow a small child of 5. In the normal course of things, because his mother was apparently a JW in good standing and young McKenzie attended meetings enough to pick out victims, McKenzie would have been looked upon just as a great many unbaptized children of JW parents are -- as unbaptized publishers, or at the very least, as members of the congregation by virtue of their parents' association.

Thus Brumley's statements are irrelevant. Even the most upstanding of JW children are not "official congregation members" until they get baptized, but they are certainly looked upon by the JW community as members. Brumley is attempting to confuse naive readers with his misleading statements.

JWs will certainly treat unbaptized teenagers as if they were disfellowshipped if they fall afoul of various Watchtower rules, and they will treat unbaptized teenagers who follow all JWs rules as if they were full, baptized congregation members in a social sense, so the claim that if a teenager is unbaptized, he or she is unrelated to the congregation for good or for bad is patently false.

Here is another non-sequitur:

Duh. No denial and no admittance of the charges. Brumley is walking a fine line here.

Of course the Watchtower and local elders are not responsible for what happened! They didn't do the dirty deeds of abusing children!

But again this has nothing to do with the charge that the local elders, likely directed by the Watchtower's Service Department, failed to notify police about a child molester in their midst. It fails to acknowledge that elders -- supposedly "shepherds of the flock" -- failed to perform the most basic of civic duties, namely, to report crimes against innocent children.

Finally we see that lawyer Brumley has no problem lying to the press. The lies are obvious in view of the above-quoted statements from the article.

The truth is more like this: Watchtower lawyers, including Phillip Brumley, advised the local elders to deny whatever they could, and claim not to remember everything they could. But their lies are revealed by the fact that they told John Muir that the abuse by McKenzie was none of his busimess.

Once again, Watchtower lawyers reveal themselves to be lying scumbags.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

Simon, something is drastically wrong with your editing scripts. I and others simply cannot properly edit posts that contain quotes and other difficult things like bolding. Please fix it!

AlanF

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

I long for the day, if I live to see it, when the WTBS receives sensationally negative press on a nationwide
    scale in this country. I hope I live to see the dismantling of all religion, worldwide. I probably won't get that
    satisfaction, but at least I know its inevitable.

This case reminds me of the hundreds of cases I used to thumb through in the PACER system when I worked
    for the US federal courts. I had been lurking at the H2O board for about a year without posting, just
    absorbing and then after discovering this site, I began doing some investigating of my own.

Add the UN thing and a million others and there you have it. The WTBS fully exposed as a farcical cult. Alan,
    to this day I thank you for your help. The few times we spoke and the many times we have posted here
    have all been helpful. I am glad you're still around.

I wish I had more time to contribute.

• avishai
    avishai

AlanF, you hit the nail on the head. Lots of doublespeak. But this is a blatant lie.

Or maybe their once again using the "two witness" thing again as a cover, if their were'nt two witnesses, it did'nt happen, hence we had no knowledge. I personally know that they were informed of at least one other boy that was molested by this scumbag. And yet, they kept letting it happen. Nice, huh?

• rocketman
    rocketman

Good points Alan. Good analysis of the WTS attorney's statements.

• sf
    sf

Hello U_R ,

I pulled this out of another thread, as it pertains here as well:

I am involved in a few 'projects' re: exposing some of the more 'political' aspects of this corrupt corporation, such as some of what is contained in your brilliant letter. I'm also about to embark on actually 'coming out' with who I am and what I'm 'fighting' for...all Watchtower kids, past, present, and hopefully never, future jw kids! It is something locally, within my community. Yet my hopes and my GOAL is for this embarkment to go statewide and perhaps even snowball nationally. That said......

I have this 'idea' of printing up some of these letters of disassociation written by people such as yourself, you have lived the WT life and now want to 'leave' It, and displaying them to the public in various ways. Your real name can be kept on the DOCUMENT or you can allow me to just use the screen name. These documents will then be BLOWN UP to porportions that are conveniently visable to any public eye that WITNESSES it.

Already in my community I have circulated much WT info on key issues; such as the 'pedophile paradise', U.N.--RAND/Regi (all military related) DOCS, shunning policy, in which DESTROYS FAMILY NUCLEUS', and a host of other related materials.

My desire is to circulate these letters, AS WELL. Written by people who lived as a jw and who can now show, thru documentation, WT literature itself and also the two key sites on the web (freeminds and silentlambs) that it is indeed a FRAUDULENT ENTERPRISE. When people see these letters, it my hope that it will MOVE THEM to ACT FOR ALL CHILDREN, [[ESPECIALLY]] WATCHTOWER KIDS.

Picture this:

Me, the sKallywagger, holding an interview, here in my community, right in front of one of the local kingdom halls. On the public portion of the property, of course. Holding up letters, DOCS, websites and 'such', and giving my county a grand inoculation of 'all things WT'.

Or this:

A five minute, live spot, at my local city council meeting with documents in toe and websites on tap, Alerting! my community of who may be potentially knocking on their doors, after sharing with them all related jw/sex abuse materials. I can have this spot once a month I believe. I have to read the pamphlet again to make sure. Each month a different issue re: this 'church' in our town.

THE NATIONS SHALL KNOW alrighty!

I can hardly wait to see how this develops. Yet I need permission to use what I can from these letters and docs to accomplish what I have in mind...what my 'producer' has in mind I should say.

I fully understand if you decline. Fully.

sKally...and a lil' sumping for TEDDY:

TICK TOCK TICK TOCK, GOES THE WATCHTOWER CLOCK!! What DO you do with that plane anyway? What is it a front for too? Does it have a red phone? We are on to you Ted! This train is literally on a Kollision Kourse baby........

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Did these Oregon elders follow the advice of the "Pay Attention..." book?

page 91:

"Take the initiative to help anyone in the congregation who has taken some false step; do your best to readjust him. (Gal. 6:1)

Encourage good associations; warn the brothers to guard against bad associations both inside and outside the congregation. ( I Cor. 15:33 )

Yet, do not create ill will toward a weak one in the congregation who is being helped."

and on page 98:

"Unbaptized publishers.

Unbaptized publishers who engage in serious wrongdoing may be readjusted.

Two elders will talk with the wrongdoer and determine what action should be taken. (w88 11/15 pp. 18-20)

They may instruct him not to share in the public ministry or comment at meetings, and they may re-
    strict him from being in the Theocratic Ministry School until he has made more spiritual progress.

If the wrongdoing is widely known but the person is repentant, the Congregation Service Committee may
    arrange for an announcement to the congregation as follows: "A matter involving [name of person] has
    been handled, and he [she] continues to serve as an unbaptized publisher with the congregation." (w88
    11/15 p. 18)

When the unbaptized publisher who is a wrongdoer is a minor, his or her Christian parents should be consulted to determine what they are doing to correct the wrongdoer. It may also be necessary to meet with the youth together with his parents.

In the case of unbaptized publishers who unrepentantly continue in wrongdoing despite all efforts to help them, an announcement can be made saying: ''[Name of person] is no longer a publisher of the good news." (w88 11/15 p. 19)

Your goal in dealing with unbaptized publishers whether youths or adults, is to help them. (1 Thess. 5:14"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit