Were You Depressed Because You Were A Witness?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

Depressed? NAH!

I enjoyed my time there!

RR

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I became very depressed when I was a teenager. I felt I had no way out. My parents had threatened to kick me out of the house if I didn't keep up the religion. This went on for quite a few years. I think the only thing that kept me going was keeping in mind "when I'm 18, I can make my own decisions". It's incredibly difficult when both your parents are going to meetings, and you feel no use for the whole thing.

• acsot
    acsot

Min imus said :

JW's have learned to perfect living the double life. I feel, at this point, that since I don't believe in much of what JW's actually teach, for family's sake and other considerations, I will do what I have to do. Is this hypocritical? Yes. But, sometimes I think it's a necessary evil.....

This is scary (I think ) - I'm pulling a Minimus also! Is that why I like your questions? I hand in fake service reports and occasionally attend meetings so that my mother can see some of her friends (or maybe I should say acquaintances). However before I woke up to the truth, I suffered low-grade chronic depression for years. Now I feel so much better - the difference between night and day!

Liberty said:

Once the critical mind awakens and can process the contradictions inherent to the Watch Tower's philosophy a person finds themselves in a state of constant stress with no relief in sight. I think this stressed state alone can lead to depression but add to this the constant unrealistic expectations and unnatural peer pressure from your fellow over stressed cult victims who are also guilty and desperate and some escape valve must eventually be opened.

If you were a deep thinker and took your beliefs seriously you were doomed to unhappiness as a JW. Common sense and critical thinking are also deadly to remaining a JW in good standing. Realizing this fact, especially if you have friends and family in this cult, will lead to more stress and depression as you weigh the consequences of leaving in order to save your sanity

Very well put and exactly how I felt. I remember thinking that it would have been better for me to be like one of my friends, who didn't seem to question anything or think about much. She just plodded along, pioneered for years and years, actually getting all those hours in legitimately, and probably more since she refused to count her time through coffee breaks . Day in, day out, year in, year out. Never questioning or wondering, just mindless repetition. I actually thought that maybe it was better that way 'cause then you wouldn't have doubts. OMG! How happy I am now to be free of that distorted thinking pattern.

Yes, life is certainly better now.

• minimus
    minimus

You have to wonder how many Witnesses are on drugs or alcohol because, simply, they are/ were JW'S.

• Loris
    Loris

I was on Prozac for 15 years and still just barely maintaining somewhat of a grip on sanity. When I discovered the lies I went into a deep dark depression that lasted two months while I studied and researched non stop. Now I am not taking anything except fresh air and sunshine. It is wonderful. The only change in my life is no more Watchtower.

Loris

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I, too, know several people who have to take antidepressants just to get to the meetings. That is so wrong. A religion should provide spiritual uplifting, not suicidal thoughts and anxiety attacks. But it's no good pointing that out -- a person has to be ready to leave or they just won't let themselves see the problem.

Nina

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

When I was a very active dub, I was depressed because I felt guilty for not doing more. When I found the "truth " about the "troof" I was depressed for having wasted my life and the lives of those I helped in. Now I am depressed because I am trapped and get out yet. I guess I am just a depressed person all around. Did someone mention Paxil?

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

minimus, you said: YOU HAVE TO WONDER HOW MANY WITNESSES ARE ON DRUGS OR ALCOHOOL BECAUSE THEY ARE/WERE JW..

In my over 30 years in this organization, I have known many JW who drink very heavily. among these are some very prominent elders. They may not have money for necessaties, but the booze is always in their homes.

• wednesday
    wednesday

i am bipolar,generally depressed. While i was going to meeting, i was subjected to so much shame and humilation, i barely had the self esteem to crawl out of bed each day.I began having severe panic attacks at the KH, and soon i realized that just thinking of going ot the hall would bring on a panic attack. I saw others with the same problems, always it was satans system beating us down. we were told surley the end must be near, b/c of people having mental problems-such an abberation in nature. Finally i grew too tired physically to go back to the meetings. Prolonged depression and anxiety and stress wears down your bodies immune system. Now i am not going to the meetings, but due to inherited bipolar illness, will aways have to take medication. but i have more self esteem, and don't feel i am a worthless person anymore..And yes, i am less depressed now.

• rocketman
    rocketman

The feeling of never doing enough, and also not enjoying what I was doing, made me feel guilty and "down" quite often.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit