Has your name or reputation been maligned by the Witness gossip-mill?

by stuckinarut2 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

As we all know, witnesses routinely share in gossiping, slandering or maligning the name and reputation of those who are "spiritually weak" or ones who "fade" or "stop associating".

They feel it is ok to speak badly of such ones who "have left Jehovah's organization".

Of course, some of the worst perpetrators of this are Elders and their wives, who insidiously plant negative stories in the minds of all they interact with in the congregation. They may never have actual facts, but since when do facts matter to witnesses?

However through such conduct they manage to separate people from one another, or cause rifts amongst former friends.

This sort of conduct is plainly inappropriate.

But what scriptures could be used if the opportunity arose to confront such ones about the way they have behaved?

New Living Translation James 3:5
    In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire.

And

Aramaic Bible in Plain English Proverbs 26:17
    He that meddles in a case that is not his is like he that takes a dog by its ears.

Feel free to add other scriptures that come to mind.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

I met and was talking to an Elder at the shopping centre who did not at first know who I was when he finally realized to whom he was speaking he mumbled something about Satan and ran off So I would say from this experience my reputation among the jws was not good

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Has your name or reputation been maligned by the Witness gossip-mill?

Oh HELL yeah! On way too many occasions to count, mostly by the "shepherds" of the flock. Usually concerning something of a sexual nature with zero proof or verification. I am at the point of living down to their expectations.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I found out after I met a (former friend) that the scuttlebut was that I left the org for immorality and gave birth to a daughter. Which was a surprise to me as when I met the old friend, I was pregnant with my second child and my 3 year old son was there with me, but she asked where my older daughter was! The one who would be 8 or nine (I left at 15 and was 24 at the time of conversation).

When I was a senior in HS, I babysat a lot on game nights and was permitted to bring my little friend along with me to football and basketball games. I only attended about 3 or 4 with her, but one of them was the homecoming game and she rode with me on the parade float or whatever. And thus the rumor mill started.

This JW knew my mom well, she did not go to my school. She also went to meetings with me regularly during the time this baby was gestating and being born and growing into toddlerhood. She KNEW ME!!! I was not hiding a secret baby in my closet until I left the borg.

On another note, my mom has a very interesting version of our recent falling out that she is apparently advertising to the world. Her world is very small, but filled with folks I do care about. I won't play defence anymore. I won't play offence. I just won't play.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Oh yeah the lies and the gossip was crazy. I'm sure the ones at the hall believe I have a legion of demons living inside me.

• Felix Packer
    Felix Packer

Oh and the ones that gossip the most are most defensive when they believe/think that you are talking about them (about personal interest, new car, new job etc).

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

It happened to me. Nowdays I am a really evil person by JW standards (and probably by Muslim, Buddhist, and secular humanist standards as well), but back in my teens I was actually a pretty good guy. The only sin I can recall committing was masturbation; other than that, I was squeaky clean.

Nevertheless, I found out later on that some pretty nasty rumors had been circulating about me which I was unaware of at the time. I have since traced them back to a close family member who was evidently attempting to slander me so she could create a rift between me and my friends (none of whom she liked). I'm ashamed to say that she lied to me as well and I believed her without ever investigating whether or not she was being truthful.

To be fair, I don't think this is unique to JWs at all. I've found that gossip and backbiting are endemic in human society no matter if it's a church, workplace, or school. People are bastards.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

I was disfellowshipped for apostasy because I would allow blood and because i celebrated the birthday of my son.

An elder gossiped that the reasonfor my disfellowshipping was spiritism.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I have been unilaterally "executed" by my J.W. siblings and accused of "starting my own religion". I know that they are also sharing their sick-minded thinking with others who know me. Why? Because I shared media facts with them about the org sending representatives to OSCE conventions, and gave them information about its finances and multi-million dollar real estate deals!

Do I care? Oh, of course - I'm breaking my heart night and day thinking about the loss of the loving people who now shun me! :) :) As long as they keep showing love to concealed paedophiles in their cult - that's the important thing.

Paranoia will reach fever pitch amongst the J.W. zealots as the adverse news stories increase. Excellent! (Mr. Burn's impersonation)

• Onager
    Onager

"Has your name or reputation been maligned by the Witness gossip-mill?"

Probably.

Fuck them and fuck the horses they ride.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit