Lingering doubts and internal debates

by Huxley1979 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Glad you have joined us Huxley!

The Watchtower historically has readily depended on newspaper exegesis coupled with eisegesis to determine Jehovah's eschatological agenda. Don't give the virus a second look as being part of an alleged "composite sign".

The organization has never had a clue about how to interpret Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. Further Jehovah tells us not to fear the words of those who make false predictions.

Jesus was giving his disciples a heads up as to when exactly to flee Jerusalem and Judaea and to.pray their flight would not be in winter or on a Sabbath (escape restrictions).

As for "that day", it will take place in normal times, people eating, drinking, marrying and working at jobs etc. No need to flee anywhere, saints will be taken. It will not be a local event, I.e., Jerusalem and Judaea but it will come as a snare on the entire earth, at a time that cannot be anticipated by newspaper exegesis or calculations of men. To be ready for that day will not depend on ones relationship with an organization, but with Jesus Christ himself.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The moment you question things you are already out. Either continue fading, play the game for family, quit cold,OR immerse yourself with a blank stare and pioneer

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Huxley, I completely understand how you feel. The world right now does feel somehow worse than, say a couple of years ago. The pandemic is frightening, as are the riots (though understandable, IMHO, given systemic racism). It does feel, at least to me, that the overall situation is different. Still, I ask myself whether these events actually fulfill what JWs say characterize the last days: food shortages, disease, earthquakes, war. If you do some research, the answer quickly becomes--no.

The main threats we face right now are due to environmental degradation and economic inequality (which is being exacerbated by climate change). COVID-19, while frightening, is relatively mild compared to pandemics of the past (such as the Spanish Influenza). Moreover, it has been a century since there has been a global pandemic to compare. Rather, the time period constituting the "last days" according to JWs has been characterized by a dramatic reduction in global mortality due to disease, along with a corresponding increase in global food supply. Hence, the sharp increase in population. Along with it, the last thirty years has seen widespread economic upturns, improving the everyday life of literally billions of people. In fact, in 2014, there were more obese people on the planet than malnourished, a little fact you won't find anywhere on the JW website.

Alas, economic expansion has brought along with it extreme depletion of natural resources and widespread pollution, including plastic waste. But this very phenomenon is a result of economic development, not of worsening famine and disease and other physical woes. Similarly, the level of global warfare has been at an all-time low since the end of WWII, about 70 years ago (hey, a generation!!), so much so that historians have described this time period as the Pax Americana or Great American Peace (take that as you like, but still, the point is that it has been a relatively/comparatively peaceful and prosperous time).

So--reasons to be anxious? Yes. But evidence of JW's accuracy in describing our time period? No.

I've learned a lot from a variety of sources including Our Word in Data. Highly recommended.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

if you are not sure they are not wrong.... you might not be ready to leave yet.

spend another 5 more years and reasses.

• Huxley1979
    Huxley1979

Thank you all for your responses. It does help.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Still believe in Jehovah and want a relationship with him

First you should prove to yourself that Jehovah Exists and Next prove that a relationship with him Exists. Neither is possible

This "relationship with God" is a Christian Fantasy. Nothing tangible or real. You should do some research and a lot of open minded thinking friend

• James Jack
    James Jack

Although I stopped going to meetings a year ago, I still pray to God every day for direction and understanding. Nothing yet, but I always want to feel accountable to a "Higher Being". In my case, not having accountability to a "Higher Being", will cause me to go down that "Rabbit Hole" of no return.

• scary21
    scary21

You know how it says in the bible , pray for anything in JESUS name. Well I prayed always for other people,asking JEHOVAH for friends that need help. Maybe they were sick or needed a new car because they lived far away from the hall. maybe sister humble's husband just lost his job ect.

I NEVER PRAYED FOR ANYTHING FOR MYSELF, except maybe to try to use the fruitage of the spirit more. I guess I never thought I was worthy and didn't want to ask unless it was really really important. Kind of like saving your get out of jail free card. LOL

Than my husband of 30 years wanted to not be married anymore. No fault of mine. He just wanted to try something new. (woman) I never prayed so hard and so long for him to change his mind. Nope, no answer for me. There is no God. Or he hates me. From a young age I pretty much knew I would die in the big A. Going done the rabbit hole isn't so bad. I just want the truth no matter where it leads me. Yep I would take the red pill.

Yes I.m still a good and loving person ! Personally I believe there is no God. I don't have to live with fear and guilt anymore. Free, I'm free at last . Free to learn, free to read, free to talk . I't GREAT! Oh and I'm free to say good luck Huxsley I hope you find what you'er looking for. Read" the History of God :by Karen Armstrong.There is a good video on you tube called the history of God 2.5 atheism a history of god (A) It is 15 minutes based on Karen Armstrong's book. I think the guy that does the video may have been a JW. He has a great voice. Must have learned it in the Kingdom Hall if he was lol.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

Huxley, I'm glad you asked that, as it is a great question. The inner turmoil when we as Jehovah's Witnesses start to use our God given thinking abilities without consulting the indoctrination we have had.

It all boils down to this simple thing: Either you believe that the current and past members of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses are "God's official and only communication channel to all mankind" or you don't.

• TD
    TD
    That being said, I do still have a constant debate in my mind. For example, with everything that is going on right now (the world seems to be going to hell in a handbasket) it seems like it could be a really bad time to be leaving on the off chance that they actually are right.

That is an instinctive human reaction to the uncertainty of the future. None of us can predict the future, so we, "What if" as a basic survival mechanism.

It's a very powerful tool in the hands of any high-control group.

The JW's went bonkers during the Cuban Missile Crises. They went bonkers when Kennedy was assassinated and during the Vietnam War and during the race riots of the 60's. Life went on.

Regardless of what the future holds, we've reached the point where time has simply run out for the JW's. The clock started ticking when the great crowd was identified in 1935. That was 85 years ago and these people were not children at the time.

In retrospect it is painfully obvious that these people were not even prospective members of that group, given the fact that you have to live to see the great tribulation to have any hope of surviving.

This might seem like a minor problem until you stop and consider that growing old, dying and being resurrected is not a Christian hope in JW theology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit