Virgin Mary or verging on the ridiculous?

by Abaddon 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Vandals have torn down a fence post in Australia's largest city, Sydney, which devoted Catholics had begun to flock to because they believed it projected an image of the Virgin Mary. This combination picture shows a woman reaching to touch the fence post (image on right). The picture on the left was deliberately shot out of focus to show how it resembles the Virgin Mary from a distance. REUTERS/Tim Wimborne

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030209/80/dsucv.html

For more than a week devoted Sydney Catholics have been flocking to a vantage point about 300 metres (1,000 feet) from the small wooden fence which, when viewed at certain times each afternoon through squinted eyes is believed to be a likeness of the Virgin Mary.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/186/

See also; http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030210/80/dsul6.html

I only have two thing to say. One is "That girl has a nice looking bum".

The other is, how amasing the power of belief is.

We have people accepting as some miracle a chance slight semblance of an outline from a set point, when ten paces to the left or right it looks like a fence post. It didn't say "And when Moses looked at the bush, like so *mimes looking slantwise with screwed up eyes, therefore making self look like on toilet, all whilst hopping up and down on one leg*, lo!, it looked like a burning bush.

How desperate do you have to be to believe this stuff? Fine, if you do, great, you're not hurting anyone accept perhaps on some levels yourself and any you pass your infection on to, but...

ARGH!!!

I find this level of vacuous stupidity very frustrating.

'Mysteries', miracles and stuff that only can be supported by anecdotal evidence normally turn out to be hogswash. See the pattern?

Edited by - Abaddon on 12 February 2003 8:47:28

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Abaddon,

Now don't tell us that you don't see bums like that in Holland????!!!

We've seen plenty of news coverage about this event here dowunder too.

It seems to me that it fits neatly with Catholic beliefs and practices.

It's not for me. I personally don't believe it has anything to do with Christianity which is centered on a personal relationship with Christ. But it's been with us for centuries. So what's new?

Cheers, Ozzie

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Is the redhead in jeans also a virgin ?? Just curious. Bug

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Nah mate, she's the verging Mary...

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Verging on the ridiculous? Methinks you're being far too kind.

There was a story here a few years ago about Catholics flocking to see Jesus in a potato chip--not as a weird coincidence like when a chip came out looking like Abe Lincoln--but as a Divine Sign from Above.

Hmmm

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

LOFL! These sightings happen so often I don't pay attention....I just wonder if these folks who are caught on camera realize they look like jackasses...

Not to go completely off topic: After going to mass this past Sunday to a Catholic service, seeing the void, blank, bored faces, I have come to the conclusion that some of them hope to get into the heaven; the rest just don't want to be in hell.

The pastor's sermon was about Job's suffering and how people should "proclaim their faith, give to the poor and make time for prayer." When the priest said "proclaim their faith" I felt the hair on my neck start to stand.....the people in the church just looked bored. If only they what proclaiming their faith really meant.

Afterwards I asked my husband how he proclaims his faith? "I am the best person I can be; I try to be fair and a good leader." He was talking about work....

They had singers that would make the people on American Idol sound good (the first round). At the end they sang "Amen, Aamen, AAAAmen, AAAAAAAmen" to a rising cresendo....I almost ran screaming from the building.

Bottom line: Don't go to a Catholic service to make anyone happy.....

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It' a world wide epidemic..on the news afew months back a peasant man in southeast Asia who baked dinner roll sized breads made a great deal of money charging people to see the Buddah that had miraculously formed in his oven. Miracles are all around you you just need eyes of faith to see them.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

peacefulpete; yup, well at least we know where we're going wrong, it's them eyes of faith of ours... I wonder if I can get glasses?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Yep, it's silly to see the Virgin or Jesus in a potato chip, fence post, etc. But people claim that they do. And with alarming frequency.

I wonder why? I think it is because they are so heart broken over their own sorrow or world events that they will look for any miracle to have their faith and hope in a loving God restored . A drowning man will grab at whatever he thinks will keep him from going under for the final time.

I guess looking for a miracle beats picking up a gun and blowing your brains out.

Robyn

• Satanus
    Satanus

Well, monkeys are like that. One monkey points and screeches, all the others get scared and screech too. Then they run away. Since we are more complex monkeys, the things we point at and screech about are a bit more complex. We are 95% monkey (and 5% catholic, or whatever).

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit