Is it difficult to believe in a loving God?

by Kosonen 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

If yes, I understand you. It has been difficult to me too. But finally recently things have cleared up for me significantly. And I want to share that with you.

We have heard that God is love. (1John 4:8)

How far reaching is then God's love? Is God's love for his creation greater than his love for Himself?

I believe that yes it is.

Jesus said that no one has greater love than to die for another person. (John 15:13)

Yes, Jesus loved the mankind so much that he subjected himself to death, and on top of that a very painful death. He had to do that to defeat Satan and die for our sins so that we can be freed from the death that we deserve as sinners.

How is God's love manifested in this? First of all, this arrangement was God's arrangement to be able to forgive us. And secondly God showed his surpassing love to Jesus his Son by rewarding him for his suffering with all He could reward him with.

After Jesus' resurrection God gave to him all he had, as Jesus said: "All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth." (Matthew 24:18)

And Jehovah God honors Jesus by letting him sit at his right hand and get honor and thankfulness along Himself. For example this scripture confirm that: And they keep shouting with a loud voice, saying: “Salvation we owe to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb.”(Revelation 7:10)

"And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and underneath the earth and on the sea, and all the things in them, saying: “To the One sitting on the throne and to the Lamb be the blessing and the honor and the glory and the might forever and ever.” The four living creatures were saying: “Amen!” and the elders fell down and worshipped. (Revelation 5:13,14)

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

IMHO Jesus could not possibly have been a perfect human being. His mother Mary was an imperfect human being ,no amount of mental gymnastics can alter that fact.

So the whole house of cards fall flat

Simple as that.

The Bible record speaks for itself proving God is not a loving God when you consider his treatment of humans either directly or indirectly.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

First of all, this arrangement was God's arrangement to be able to forgive us.

Agreed, only love would prompt one to forgive someone for something they NEVER did! Only love would prompt one to kill thousands of innocent people for something that only ONE person did! Only love would be the reason to punish millions for what only TWO humans (allegedly) did! If a person today did those exact same things they would be termed psychopathic criminals!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    He had to do that to defeat Satan and die for our sins so that we can be freed from the death that we deserve as sinners.

Is hard for me to believe in a loving god? No. I just have not found any evidence that one exists.

What I do believe is that the Israelite god, YHWH (aka "The Lord"), is not a loving god.

I also question that if Jesus actually existed and if he said or taught everything as written in the Gospels that he represents a loving god. The Gospels allege that Jesus stated he came to break up families. Love unites. If something divides it cannot be called love.

I also know I was born perfect. Everything I do is as I was intended to do. The only "sin" is to cause harm to self or other without acknowledging the harm and learning from it. No one deserves death. Everything alive dies. Sin has nothing to do with it.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Not only is it difficult to believe there is a supernatural god who acts lovingly to humankind, but it also difficult to believe there is a supernatural god who intervenes in human history, who communicates with any human, who wrote (or inspired or merely guided) the writing of the Bible, or who even listens to anyone's prayers. That is because there no convincing evidence for such a being of any of those kinds.

• Simon
    Simon

The idea of a loving and omnipotent god can't be squared with the reality of history and the misery and suffering of millions.

If god exists, he's a grade A twat and a psychopath ... which ironically matches the stories of him in the book that claims he's all loving.

• Simon
    Simon
    He had to do that to defeat Satan and die for our sins so that we can be freed from the death that we deserve as sinners.

And yet here everyone is ... dying.

And as per the fairy story, Jesus is alive and well.

So even the narrative is fake.

He's god of liars, which again is ironic given the claims in the book ... it's like he's opposite god.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

A loving god would've gotten it right the first time.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

These conversations have been had over and over and over again. I just can't fathom how believers can still describe god as 'love' when faced with all the evidence - not least the testimony of their own holy book.

It either takes a huge amount of effort to square that circle or the evidence is simply ignored.

Intellectual dishonesty or laziness.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

“ Is it difficult to believe in a loving God?”

Yes. The whole Adam and Eve narrative makes no sense.

If my daughter makes a mistake, I’m not going to punish her future generations of children for it for all eternity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit