It had sounded to good to be true.

by The Rebel 15 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

because it wasn't true anyway. It was a dream. The insanest dream, to believe that I was going to live forever.

But today I am alive, and I am determined to travel the SECONDS between life and death aware of my mortality. My now being mortal is a new beginning, a REAL exsperience, I will try and appreciate.

This is why I am happy to believe the W.T will one day be defeated.

Is that an insane thought?

A) I don't really care, it makes me contented and happy.

And finding sites like this I realise that it is not an insane thought. And I realise there are so many ex-witnesses scattered all over the globe. I see us as victims of an earthquake. After an earthquake, many are still in shock. But the simple fact is we survived that earth quake and are alive. We may for the moment have lost love ones to that Earthquake but there is hope they will be found in the rubble, and at the same time our exit is a victory against the Watchtower.

So today as I write, I realise I don't want to be in love with my hatred towards the W.T. It has taken me over a year to get rid of that assumption. I also realise sites like this make the school of " Life" our common classroom. I wonder what I can learn by asking you:-

A) Where are you in your recovery stage?

B) How long did it take to get where you are?

C) And where do you hope to be a year from now?

The Rebel.

• vinman
    vinman
    I feel personally, I am doing alright since it has only been 10 months. My mom has stopped talking to me even though I am not disfellowshipped. But I still have my wife, children, and grand children. I did have a friend that exited with me. In addition, as I said before, I still am a strong believer in the Bible, although at first, I had to reinforce that by comparing all other sides of the argument. I meditate on how the prophets of old were often alone because God's "organization" was always corrupt. This makes me feel strong and bold to declare the real truth to anyone I encounter. I believe all of this has helped to make it a smoother transition and I am very grateful because I understand that many don't have it as easy. I am still angry with the Watchtower but not bitter. Bitterness just gives them the victory. Habakkuk, 3:17-19: " For though the fig tree doesn't flourish, nor fruit be in the vines; the labor of the olive fails, the fields yield no food; the flocks are cut off from the fold, and there is no herd in the stalls: - yet I will rejoice in Yahweh. I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! Yahweh, the Lord, is my strength. He makes my feet like deer's feet, and enables me to go in high places."
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Interesting you refer to it as "recovery". That is indeed appropriate IMO.

I'm still often in the "anger" stage, but I've moved on from most of the anger being directed at myself (for being so damn naive and gullible) to being angry at the azzholes at the top of the WT Scam, but not sure who that is. I really kinda doubt that it's the GB members. They don't appear to be that smart to devise all this strategically.

I joined here about 5 years ago (hard to believe!), but I was still lingering in the "doubting" stage then. Or, perhaps I really no longer doubted but was having difficulty accepting the "truth" -- that is, TTATT. Finally, I'm at the point where I know it (the JW religion) is all total BS. I think in recent years it has morphed into a much greater farce than it ever was in the past. In the past, it seemed believable to me. There appeared to be some serious "research" to the doctrines. I guess Fred Franz was a real master at "baffling them with BS". Now, it's just gotten ridiculous. Overlapping generations, my a$$.

Although I am still not decisive on the whole issue of the Bible & God, etc etc. Much of my indecisiveness is probably because I still want to believe there is something better than this for the future.

At this point, with the anger and all, I have a malice towards the WT Org. I'd like to see the child abuse lawsuits absolutely cripple them financially. I'd like to see the Most Holy WT "Mecca" come crashing down. I'd like to be able to point to it and ask every JW Zealot, "Where is your God now?" "Why has he abandoned you?" (Gosh, that sounds kinda like Job's wife, doesn't it!) But I think I'm too old and they are still too financially secure for me to ever personally witness that happening, but everyone is allowed to dream.

I'd like my "recovery" to be a little further along in a year from now. I'm thinking that it really can be similar to PTSD when one awakens to TTATT. It rips away everything in one's life that they held close to their heart. It's like learning that your spouse cheated on you -- over and over and over and since "forever". They were never really in love with you or loyal to you, they were just using you up for what they could get from you. And when you discover it, they have no remorse; they are not sorry; rather, they'll kick your ass to the curb; clean out your bank account; run up your credit cards; and leave you with nothing. Dumb ass! So, yeah......I'd like my recovery to be a little further along a year from now.

Doc

The greatest revenge is living a happy & successful life!

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Vinman I am pleased for you, that you still have a faith.

Doc I hope you continue to lead a happy and successful life!

The Rebel.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

Firstly I enjoyed your OP. The earthquake analogy is a good one. The line about not being in love with your hatred for the WT was also something I can relate to.

There seems to be a grieving process to waking up to this stuff. I think that process is different for each person depending on a lot of factors. Some of those factors being - how deep of a believer the person was to begin with - how sensitive a personality the person has - and what consequences potentially await the person.

Now I will get to the questions...

I'm not sure how to answer that exactly, but I will try. I think I am still in the final stages of letting go emotionally. Being a born-in and a true believer and defender of the religion for so long, it is a hard thing to admit emotionally, not to mention the emotions of seeing your imagined hopes dissolve. I know that the hopes were a fantasy, but we didn't know that at the time. The old you is still slightly alive inside and is hard to contend with at times. Part of me wants this "new truth" to be wrong. It would be so much easier. I still wake up each day and this ttatt thing is what comes to my mind. It's like I ask myself, "Are those thoughts still there? Do I still feel the same way? Did I snap out of it? Any easy solution come from my slumber?" Everyday it's the same, though. Nothing changes. Actually I progress slowly to increased conviction that the WT theology is a fiction and more than that, the bible is nothing more than an ancient book sprinkled with few flashes of wisdom.

Just to put it out there, there is a youtuber that really resonated with me and helped me put the final nail in the coffin intellectually. You can find the videos by searching for "Joy of Unwitnessing". It is a numbered series of videos on his channel. He "unwitnesses" to a friend and recounts the points he made to her. It was very eye-opening for me to hear it put the way he did.

I also benefited from reading some of Thomas Paine's (1737-1809) writings on the bible. One point that was incredible was the point that the spinning sword guarding the garden of eden had to be a mistake in the fictional story since swords had not been invented yet. It is a bronze age insertion into a story about the stone age. Incredible how people saw through this stuff well before Russell was even born.

Over 3 years.

I am a serving elder married to a quite devout JW wife. It is a slow painful process of backing away. The extent of my fading so far is getting off the service committee. I hope to back away from my elder stuff altogether soon. In a perfect world, my wife would endorse that move. I so wish that she could be on the same page as me with this. It's heartbreaking. We are really close. Like I can barely think of couples I know that are closer than us. I think part of my problem (and probably from my JW upbring and indoctrination) is that I am not really emotionally equipped to lose her and everybody else in my life. So..... I take it slow. Day by day.

I hope to be further along a year from now. I hope my wife wakes up more. I would say she is probably 10-20% awake compared to a few years ago, but not nearly enough. She is still in the stage where she says, "but it's still Jehovah's organization", "Jehovah will fix things in his due time", "Jehovah's organization has had corruption in the past", blah blah blah.

So anyway, sorry to get long-winded. Thanks for the thoughtful OP. Take care.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

xjwrocks, thanks for the kind words, and useful research material. I also found your experience interesting, particularly as you mentioned in your post being a serving elder. This made me realise that my blanket rule of being harsh on all serving elders needs to be reconsidered.

The Rebel.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Funny.

I remember the phrase "if is sounds too good to be true, it probably is" actually being quoted in a WT study article once, and - in a moment of clarity - asking myself, "wait... doesn't 'living forever on a paradise Earth' kinda sound a little too good to be true?"

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

It had sounded to good to be true....and it wasn't. Having left the organisation I discover London to New York is only 6 hours away, Oh and as I enter the modern world I realise fax machines are as dated as my expensive out of date collection of Encyclopedias ....when you leave the witnesses, there is just so much to choose from...Its great.

The Rebel

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP, The Rebel.

today I am alive, and I am determined to travel the SECONDS between life and death aware of my mortality. My now being mortal is a new beginning, a REAL exsperience, I will try and appreciate - that's the spirit!

A) Where are you in your recovery stage? - good question. I'm quite far along the recovery process. It seems just when I think I've become an ex-ex-JW, something happens or I have some though that lets me know that I'm a scarred individual. You know, like when a boxer's cut heals and the slightest nick, years later, can open a bloody wound.

B) How long did it take to get where you are? - about ten years. Recovery is a slow process for me.

C) And where do you hope to be a year from now? - I'll have a think and get back to you about that one!

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

LoveUnHateExams,

Take care, and thanks for the post.

The Rebel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit