Women as elders

by Lady Lee 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Not that I would ever go back but Valis brought up an interesting subject in another thread.

What would the Borg be like if...

they let women be elders?

they treated women as equals?

they listened to what women had to say about these abuse issues (rape, spousal abuse and child sexual abuse)?

Can you even imagine such a thing? It wouldn't even be the Borg anymore now would it?

Personally I can't imagine these old goats giving up or sharing any of their power. Their heads would spin at the thought of any wisdom coming from the female mind. (us poor weaker vessels)

Even if their policies change their basic beliefs would have to change and there is nothing they have that I would want.

But .... what an interesting idea?

• alfie
    alfie

Interesting idea? Hell, it's a fabulous idea. I know so many women in the many congregations in which we served that would put the men (read elders) to shame, it would make your head spin. There were many an occasion I would ask Mrs. alfie for an idea or two and invariably her thoughts were definitely cause for consideration. I say let the women have a voice!!

CIAO4NIAO!!

alfie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I do think it is a great idea

but I can't see it happening. The power imbalance is too great. And I think you are right -- any dissenters will be DFed.

The system is too dysfunctional and I think those power hungry men would rather die than share the power with any woman

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

The tower is doomed. Who needs em?

Start your own study group, and I say there is nothing wrong with letting women take the lead. Paul's advice was in a time when women couldn't even own property, so to make a concession to the attitude of the times he wrote his words, yadda yadda yadda, anyway, who cares what Paul says? He had some serious sexuality issues on his own account, so he should have yanked his rafter out of Timothy, hur hur, before he shot his... mouth... off.

CZAR

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

LOL

sphere

now there's another option

All the women will leave and the men can duke it out amongst themselves

• Solace
    Solace

Women Elders?

Oh, theyde love that huh?

Actually, I can imagine it. I love the idea. If I could stand to be a witness, I might even think about staying and trying to help make it happen.

I think many changes would have to happen before that could even be a thought though. Unfortionatly, I cant imagine any of this happening during my lifetime, but we can always dream, right?

• embalmed
    embalmed

Great idea! I think I'll frequently start to ask why women can't be elders and debate when they use Paul's misogynist books to support their answer. They'll either have to consider my ideas or I'll get DF'd. Great both ways, since I have to go to meetings anyhow. And that way of being DF'd would be more dignifying than having sex or doing drugs and having people whisper dirty things about me behind my back.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Hell, it's a fabulous idea. I know so many women in the many congregations in which we served that would put the men (read elders) to shame

I think so too - some of the women I've met are so nasty and viscious that, left unrestrained, there'd be nothing left of the place.

Great idea. Very modern and all........

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

My church has both men and women priests. Women are also bishops. However, the organizational structure of our church is very different from that of the Watch Tower. Sure the JWs could have women elders, they could even put women on the Kingdom Governing Body (KGB), but would it really make a difference? The Watch Tower is a totalitarian religious system, and merely adding women to positions of leadership to oppress the rank and file will not change it. Only with democratic reforms that will add checks and balances to those in power, will the system be transformed into a more positive religious movement.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Since men are notably more power hungry than women, I think women in leadership roles would be a good thing. Religion in general is waking up to the fact that women are not second class and deserve equality.

Personally, though, I think hell will freeze over before the Borg follows suit.

Lew W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit