Were People Always Trying To Give You Advice?

by minimus 15 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Did you find that people , either in the congregation, or in general always tended to try to tell you what you should be doing? Were you always given counsel by the brothers or sisters to "help' you? How did you react when certain ones were always ready to tell you what you should do?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Does "shut up!" or "go away!" count?

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

well, i was considered a person in need of all kinds of advice. First off, I married a woman with a child from a first marriage. Was ALWAYS getting advice about how to raise my family. Then, we had a baby...same thing. Made the mistake of buying a house up the street from the KH. The P.O. was my next door neighbor with a Pioneer/elder family across the street. I was always getting advice from everyone, especially the PO. Most of the time it was inappropriate because it was "neighbor" business being construed in a congregational light. Sold the house at a profit, never looked back. More that once told elder neighbors to "butt out and mind their own business." Guess that kinda speaks volumes for why i'm here. LOL

Coon

• alfie
    alfie

There are always people trying to give advice, and I'm probably as guilty as the next person; however when somebody offers "help" I'll listen and weigh the counsel. If it merits consideration, I'll try and follow up, if it's just a busybody with nothing better to do than stick their nose into my affairs I'll smile, tell them to pound salt and walk away.

CIAO4NIAO!!

alfie

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Especially Bethel Elders and C.O.'s when it came to raising your family.What and How you should be doing with the family from the time you get up until the time you went to bed.

Then when Bethel Elders got married and the wife got pregnant even with all that birth control stuff floating around Bethel.They suddenly forgot how to give advice to those with families.

One Elder in particular had to leave Bethel and his kids were no angels in the hall .He finally left the state.But,when he use to visit to show off his kids ,they still were in need of discipline in the hall. I wondered how he was not able to follow his own advice to others that he dished out when now he has a family of his own.

• Nordic
    Nordic

Ther was this childmolester, in the hall ther allways want to give me advice, in moral matters

Now just 2 years ago i discorved, he was molesting children.

What a bastard

Nordic

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

I listened and I was nice about it. I just smiled and acknowleged at what they were saying. But, I am confident about what I choose to do...I have a strong will. I listen, but that didn't mean I am going to follow everybody's advise. I like to feel I made my own choices, and am living my own life. If I could use their advise, fine. If not, no problem.

• minimus
    minimus

DO NOT BE MISLED......Persons that wanted to give you counsel were just nosy dinks. Or they just wanted to exercise their spirituality so as "to help you".......ha!

• minimus
    minimus

We have an elder in our congregation that ALWAYS loves to give advice to people, whether they be individuals or families. He loves to tell people how they should run their families, business or their associations. He happens to be the worst example in his "loving, helpful" advice. No one respects him. Plus he has an excellent memory when it suits him. Anytime a person had difficulties or woes, he would be the first to remember that they were counseled about such and such but didn't take his advice.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I was always being '"helped" to utilize my time, I mean with the meetings, two children, Thunder Rider and working 12 hour days I had SO much time to go in service etc. So their help was so greatly appreciated<heavy on the sarcasm>LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit